Riding tipps, introduction to high speed skating

Definitely hope to see video of you guys at the hill with the funicular.

Thanks for putting this together.

You would be surprised how many groupes there are. Beat bet, go to your local longboard shops. Ask them if thei are havin ride/slide sessions.

If you want a ride footage from that spot let me know, can send you the link. Have them privat on youtube for obvious reasons :wink:

this is a very useful post. Thank you for doing this.

1 Like

Ya, I’ve settled on a similar wedging setup as you on my electric. Fooled around with a few settings but ended back at wedged dewedged front to back.

In some configurations I got speed wobbles every time I ether applied the throttle hard or let of it at while at a high speed. I still feel the boards inclination to wobble under those same conditions but just a little. Seems like dewedging the back locks it up a bit and stabilizes the truck that’s under power.

This set up is supposed to have bad drift characteristics according to the image posted by me. I’m still breaking my wheels so I haven’t done any drifting so time will tell. I imagine the back is going to drift slowly.

1 Like

Playing around with wedges, bushings etc. only does so much try, if your board shape allows to stand over your front truck. Punch wour knee from your back leg into your front leg and move your hips forward so most of your weight is on your front foot. This should reduce wobbles immensly.

1 Like

Will there be more videos on this? Love this thread!

Hey, yeah I wanted to provide more footage, but had too much going on in autumn and now we have a crazy winter here. On what subjects would you prefer a Video ?

How not to fall. Examples

-dont run off -dont bend your elbows in a fall, just cover your face, then press up after the fall. your likely to jam your rotator cuffs if you catch yourself at speed on your hands in push up position… as you’ll catch hands, elbows will collapse, jam into pavement and shunt your humourous into your shoulder -wearing knee pads and going knees first -wearing hip pads/protection and coming out of a wobble and just leaning back into a Coleman setup to butt slide/reverse crab.

I’m sure my words don’t explain perfectly. But I’m sure a video of falling Technics in different situations would help a few… It helps to practice falling.

alright. Good suggestions.

Though I am not sure about the point of the push up position. Never had that problem, even at higher speeds than 60… To be fair though, since I practice Calestenics my upper body is farily prepared for that. Also I cannot allow to fall on my ribcage or frontside stomach dutue my implants and steel-implants, nnew stomach, fixed diaphragm etc :slight_smile: But yeah, think a safety focused skill introduction sounds awesome.

3 Likes

Depends on how you get launched off the board…if you go up before you go down… it’s something I’ve only had happen on esk8… As esk8s can abruptly stop and launch you up and off. Never had it happen to me on an analog board…Basically what I’m saying is if you have a random mechanical failure and you were carving and now your in the air just protect your face and catch yourself at head/shoulder level…don’t stretch out like Superman and catch yourself with your hands above your head… Sorry push up position was the wrong term

1 Like

Alright, weather has been better over here. No longer meters of snow. So this weekend will be a lot of skating. Will definitely record, so if you have any request for me to cover let me know.

What I want to go over is:

• How to get in to sliding: the 3 steps.
  • upper and lower body stability
  • how to take sharp turns
  • balance
  • falling
  • safety gear

PS: Since I will be recording I will be doing all of that on a gravity skate. Since I don’t want to film my own felony basically. Since its harshly fined over here. :slight_smile: If I can outrun them I am all for it, but mostly for eas of mind for the rest of the group.

11 Likes

Juuuust kidding, again 30cm, of snow over night out of nowhere… fuuuuuuuuuuu

1 Like

The links in the original post are down…particularly the speed stance. Is it possible to get those fixed?

This might be the right place to post this… i just got my first rkp trucks. So much difference from tkp. Today I realized that I have mainly been using my feets to turn, and if I want to get the most out of my rkp´s I need to be better to use my wight. Any tips on how to practice this. How it should feel and look?

Hey there @michichopf mars from down under here. Just wanted to say thankyou for your safety advise. I had a bit of an off today not fast maybe 20-25 km faster than I can run lol

Not sure what happened it was gusting maybe 20 knots I was riding on a club bike track good surface, the next thing I know I’m stepping off the front. Luckily I went straight into a tuck and roll.

I was wearing my Dragging Roo Hoodie thanks to you. It took all of the hit on my back and body a scrape or two on my helmet, took some bark of my hand. I’m 59 so I did well.

Thanks man I owe you some beers.

2 Likes

Since I had a malfunction with my receiver wire, it cause my to loose signal durring a full throttle launch and made me fall really bad. I have not been able to full throttle any board because of the fear it will happen again.

Now I have a stupid powerful build 4wd 6374 and I found my self not being able to full throttle again. It feels like I regressed to when I first started riding Esk8

I guess only time and reliable boards will fix this issue lol

1 Like

Wow, this is super informative and helpful. This should be stickied!

1 Like

Like…:heart:

1 Like

Exway X1 Pro still broken? I’m not gonna lie, after seeing several posts about people flying off boards I’ve been afraid to ride my X1 Pro. Does anyone know if Exway has been able to fix this bug or whatever it was? Has anyone gotten thrown off their board after the latest update? I’m just trying to get into the eskate life without dying. Nox VidMate