Riding tipps, introduction to high speed skating

That would be awesome, especially considering some people get into this hobby without even longboarding before hand. When controlling your speed and breaking is so effortless it makes it easy to overlook this stuff.

1 Like

@michichopf I think that would be an excellent contribution! I’m just as you described; a long-time skater but new(ish) to higher speeds.

This is one of the big challenges in esk8- getting folks to take the risks seriously and to give proper respect to the dangers of high-speed riding.

Before esk8, someone really had to work to achieve those speeds, and the acceleration was so slow that there were a lot of tactile cues to help a rider understand their relative speed.

With DIY builds, we can go for 0-30 pretty easily, and as you’ve described, that speed requires a whole different skill set to do safely.

I think a lot of folks would benefit from your tutorials!

2 Likes

Alright, I will get on the writ up this minute and also the first vieo. I nee to ring up a friend or some to film me ride and stuff.

I would like to contribute but thats pretty much the only area where I could offer any kind of expertise.

12 Likes

I do appreciate your contribution to this topic.

My first fall ever was last year on my first esk8 via the wobbles. Never ever skated in my life before that.

It was a pretty slow progress of about 3 to 4 months of constant riding before I was able to hit top speed on my Evolve GT.

First thing I learnt was to wear gloves with schapoid protection that would also allow your hands to slide. The grab effect upon impact was bloody unbelievable.

4 Likes

@michichopf I think it’s great that you’re willing to offer your input to us all… that’s what we hope for on the forum; for folks to share what they know so that everyone can benefit. Thanks for looking for a way to contribute I’m sure we’ll all learn a lot from you!

@michichopf for what it’s worth we had a thread a while back about wobble:

2 Likes

aweomse, Beatiful read. I will link that in my thread when thats ok for you. I wont touch the material side much then, but in terms of riding skills to prevent the wobbels then.

4 Likes

That sounds like a brilliant idea!

1 Like

I’ve skated for a long time but always thought longboards weren’t really my style…but now that I’m not skating like that anymore and going for a fast/powerful ESK8 I can’t afford to be put out of commission, so I look forward to your thread!

1 Like

Wel I am on it guys, but once I got started it got longer and longer. I won’t finish it today. But omorrow the wrriting part will be done and also the “set up” video. The actuall action, live riding video will take me till the weekend probably.

3 Likes

Thank you for starting this topic! I love DH/Freestyle longboarding and it’s amazing how a little technique can go a long way!

i’ve been itching to see what an experienced downhill longboarder could do on an esk8. I keep picturing slides going up the hill! and of course POWER Slides! but that is obviously for the advanced class… :sunglasses:

1 Like

alright, I changed the way I am going to do this. I will do it in a mini series of posts. Going over all the relevant parts. Then you can ask, comment or disagree and I will make a short video to answer those things abd follow it up with the next subject. So I would like to beginn with the set up, which will be coming within the hour.

Edit: updated my original post. I will continiously add information and video material :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Update: Next 2 parts are in writting. Alos the first video part is almost finished, saddly I broke my gorpo by going a little overboard on the weekend. Ordered and new one, as soon as I get it i can also do the second video. Sorry to strecht it out like that, but busy times atm. :frowning:

4 Likes

Great write up. I agree with everything but the part about not using harder bushings. I am a larger rider, (around 210), and I know how to ride, but I just find harder bushings more comfortable. Of course I have never tried “speed skating”, but I know what I like. It was nice that you suggedted people try multiple bushing durometers and types as they can significantly change your ride.

Good point, never took weight into consideration there. SO you are correct, of yourse with different weights there are different starting points.

1 Like

at the same time…maybe it’s not good to tell anyone how they should do it as they can come up with an unbiased personally related decision. It kinda reminds me of the amount of time people spend getting their golf swing looked at and assessed, yet really all that’s important is they hit the ball with the right speed and direction. taking the pic of the guy on the top here…I stand similarlly when going fast but have some hugely diffferent things going on, such as my hands are in front, elbows bent, and hands under the chin. when leaning down low and going fast it’s a more natural feeling as …if anything goes wrong, which on an eboard seems only a mater of time, I have my hands in front of me for the superman slide on them as apposed to my face. I also feel much more stable with the front foot positioned practically horizontal to the direction of travel, and it does all the turning really, and the rear foot is positioned in-line with travel direction.

ooo one thing I think has a lot of value if going high speed is a board with drop to it as it allows a lower center of gravity for more control and more importantly it will have surface on both the front and back of the board that has a concave that I can lean against when braking or accelerating quickly. making an eboard with such a shape, and not bottoming out on the motor…I’d say hub motors are better for high speed!

2 Likes

Very well put. That is why I opened by saying that I do not want to impose anything anyone. I got asked the same questions multiple times, so I thought I made a collection of things I am familiar with that could help someone. By no means was it intended to sound like a status quo or the best way. Just a potential guideline for people that are loocking for it. Tue golf swing was a perfect methaphor. I would like to think that it can help to know in wich general direction it should go but I would never get up on the high horse and proclaim anything more than that. I hope I didnt come across as a jerk or anything, my only intention was to help and contribute. Valid point though thank you.

of course, and judging by the huge amount of likes you have on the thread it’s wanted.

This posting is helpful, thanks for putting your time and experience into it. I was reading it and thinking it won’t have much impact unless it take a perspective. And it wont be clear it has taken a perspective until the community reacts or disagrees. And that has now happened, so congrats! And pls continue lol