R-SPEC Shorted Phase Wire Problem & Solution

@Onloop I will always defend you or others if I think the comments are fair and to the point. I just dont think these threads to start with should be on here. Every customer needs to deal with their issues directly with seller and just agnst to them if need be. Not here.

1 Like

Apply safe. Step away from the weapon…

But seriously, emotion is fueling this discussion now and I made the same mistake a couple weeks back.

Everyone take a deep breath.

The blokes with the motor issue have waited in anticipation for months. Enertion hasn’t slept for weeks. It’s a recipe for disaster.

4 Likes

Whoah, this thread went crazy… Chill out folks.

But in all honesty how in the world am i supposed to isolate these cables with shrink tube properly without getting the stator off? Genuinely curious because I cannot see how in the world that would happen when the metal casing is in the way. I have already separated the two metal parts so the stator is exposed. @onloop (or someone else), care to explain?

This is true and also what I thought, but almost three weeks and no response I felt like I had to do something more to get some attention.

1. cut off the shrink tube the goes around the three wires
  2. then push the 3 phase wires back through the hole that they exit from, do it one at a time.
  3. then you can unravel the wire & insulate the excess amount.
  4. you might also decide to fix the wires in place with some epoxy to prevent movement.

this should resolve the issue & everything will work perfectly again.

http://esk8content.nyc3.digitaloceanspaces.com/uploads/db2454/optimized/2X/0/052aaefc4bcb374fd0df64f9343fae574983f656_1_375x500.JPG

I will happily compensate for your time & materials.

Otherwise, we will arrange to send it to someone closer to you who can do this for you.

Alternatively sending back to Australia is an option but probably the last resort.

5 Likes

It is not a problem with all motors, we sell hundreds of R-SPEC motors and there have probably been about 20 reports of this issue, the factory has been notified about the problem and it has been rectified in all the latest batches.

The issue is related to an excess of phase wire that has been wrapped inside the motor can, these wires rub together & the polyurethane insulation wears down, if this occurs and two opposing strands of phase wire short together it causes the motor to heat & potentially lock the motor up similar to applying the brakes during normal riding.

If anyone believes they have loose wires they should email [email protected] for further instructions.

3 Likes

I disagree, i think all product issues should be dealt with in the public forum, i don’t think it helps the community to hide behind closed doors and deal with issues secretly. We are all in this together.

discussing problems & solutions publicly helps the community constantly evolve.

NOTE: if the matter is not about a product, say its a billing issue or something else it’s probably better if it’s private.

4 Likes

Many people/companies would choose to hide any issues away from the public eye. This takes serious belief in your product that you obviously stand behind. This instils real confidence in you and Enertion for me. Mad respect for all this brother. Cant wait for my Raptor, n I know lots of my friend’s will want one when they see it :slight_smile: One love

1 Like

Had the same problem (RSpec from order #2653, end of March), the fix took me ~30 min, two wires had some strands broken, I left them as they were, shrink-wrapped everything and it doesn’t fail vesc motor detection anymore!

I was a bit worried of breaking the motor (pulling the stator out from the magnet requires some force :smiley: ) but everything went ok and at the end the whole operation was not a big deal, at least I looked into a motor and learned something new ^^ but I imagine that for some people it can be tricky to do it… you have to desolder and resolder the connectors, reposition the wires as they were before, put the shrink tube that hold the three wires together correctly (needs to go inside a little bit so that when you shrink it the wires won’t move independently anymore) etc…

before:

after:

6 Likes

Seems simple enough. If u have the tools… Which I guess if you’re into DIY you’re gonna need at some point anyhow.

Had the same thing, also fixed it with shrink tube, didnt even think about contacting enertion, its just wear & tear, and mostly my fault too, because the way I set the exit wires up, they kept wiggling on the motor exit. you always need to have them very loose OR directly tied to the mount or truck before they go anywhere else.

3 Likes

BOOM, let’s hope this works. Had to cut the wires and resolder 5,5 mm’s though but hey.

And remember to be kind to eachother <3

4 Likes

I used liquid electrical tape to fix the wires on my motor. Protects the wires and secures it to the motor so it’s not moving around as much.

Can anyone else that does the fix video it and post link.

Good job!.. however It is better if you mount the motor with the wires coming out the side nearest the trucks baseplate.

The way you have it now put more strain on the wires.

I also have the same issue with my R-Spec.I was wondering if it’s necessary to rewrap the wires around the top of the motor or if it’s possible to use the excess wire and have it exit the motor extending the length?

yes, you can just make the exit the motor sooner. but still suggest insulating the excess

1 Like

Damn. I wish I had been informed about this common problem before this happened:

WARNING to everyone who has bought an r-spec recently. This issue has not been solved yet…

I shorted my non-rspec and went down at at least 25mph. Every motor put on a skateboard should be potted at the phase wires or something.

1 Like

Heat is a big problem if you pot the wires.