Project LACR | Globe The Maiden Deck | Enertion Single Drive Propulsion | Turnigy SK3 6364 190 KV | VESC 4.10 / Turnigy Sentilon 100A | 24V 10AH Zippy Flightmax Lipo Packs

Alright after some extensive research on RDW site, I have found this page to be “the main source” of the things we need to know about self build vehicle.

This Information are in Dutch, so @trbt555 & @jeroenimo you should be able to understand this better.
https://www.rdw.nl/sites/igk/Paginas/Brommer-toelatingskeuring.aspx?path=Portal/IGK/Brommer

As one of the emails replied to me mentioned that the vehicle type to be L1E, we could already estimate the method of testing through this links:

1. https://www.rdw.nl/SiteCollectionDocuments/individuele%20goedkeuring%20TCL%20IKS%20TST%20%28Productiebeoordeling%20%29/Wijze%20van%20keuren%20L1e%20L7e%20Richtlijn%202002%2024%20EG.pdf
  2. https://www.rdw.nl/SiteCollectionDocuments/individuele%20goedkeuring%20TCL%20IKS%20TST%20%28Productiebeoordeling%20%29/Wijze%20van%20keuren%20L1e%20L7e%20Verordening%20168%202013.pdf

Below theres also a price list which actually scares the sh*t out of me because there are alot of things and they are definitely not cheap. https://www.rdw.nl/SiteCollectionDocuments/TGK%20(Beoordeling%20en%20Toezicht)/Naslag/Tarieven%20TTV%202016.pdf

Segways were overpriced, heavy and just not flexible enough.

Dude, that’s just plain fraude. Cannot be tolerated.

I totally understand that and that would be the last resort attempt. Lets hops its not going to happen.

But speaking about fraud, what we are doing now is also offending the law that has been established by riding an unauthorized vehicle in open street. I believe its also equally as bad.

Now I am start searching for a help from TTV technishce inspecteur from RDW about tips in making it succed to get a license or allowance trhough personal communication and not through RDW yet.

There has to be a legitimate way to solve this.

Theres actually one product I found that has CE compliance and requires RDW request for approval. This seems to be also an option to create eboard with CE compliance. It might cut cost of certifying process.

https://easy2order.nl/nl/raycool-electric-scooter-rdw-white-elektrische-step.html

I admire your perseverance, it ain’t gonna be easy. I don’t want to discourage you but I’m a professional engineer in electro-mechanics and I have some experience with regulatory compliance for machinery inthe EU. I doubt you will be able to get any sort of approval for a one-off. You need CE approval which implies you can provide the full paperwork, which means full datasheets for every part, design criteria and assumptions, risk analysis etc. And it certainly won’t be a free or fast process.

It won’t ever be easy, hitting regulation and law is always though.

Yes I’ve seen your linkedin profile :slight_smile: and sure are a qualified electrician and mechanical engineer. Those degree I use to aim when I was 14 :smiley:

Well I am going to try my best both upfront and behind scenes contacting some people who might be able to get eboard / parts of it regulated. Certainly not going to be cheap, but hey there’s a special department that handle this financial issue. They are called investors. I am going to start searching for them as well.

@trbt555 & @jeroenimo Okay The RDW has replied me and I believe there is some future around this.

In late 2010, the Ministry of Infrastructure and the Environment in the Road Traffic Law 1994 in Article 20b a new category introduced special mopeds. These include to Segway-like vehicles. For this, no European approval shall be required. (Staatsblad (Official Gazette), No. 744). In the Netherlands these vehicles can not be registered. The Minister pointed these vehicles.

What is a special moped? Special moped: moped as defined in Article 1, first paragraph, section e, under d of the Law for which an application for designation under Article 20b of the Law has been submitted to the Minister;

This is Article 1, first paragraph, section e under d of the law. http://wetten.overheid.nl/BWBR0006622/HoofdstukIIA/Artikel20b/geldigheidsdatum_29-01-2016

Article 20b (Google Translation in English)

1. Prior to admission to the traffic on the road Our Minister may a motor vehicle with a maximum design speed not exceeding 25 km / h, equipped with an internal combustion engine with a cylinder capacity not exceeding 50 cm 3 or an electric motor with a maximum continuous rated power does not exceed 4 kW, not being a disabled vehicle, designate a type or individual on the grounds of his safety if:
    • a. the authorization corresponds to in [Article 2, paragraphs a and b, second paragraph and third paragraph, subparagraph a , above purposes;][1] and
    • b. there been realized rules is required for this vehicle is not in accordance with a type approval in the framework of the European Union.
  2. A ministerial regulation further rules may be adopted concerning the designation.

The manufacturer of such special mopeds may report it to the Ministry. The address is: Ministry of Infrastructure and the Environment Management Roads and Traffic Safety Contact: Hans de Leeuw PO Box 20 901 25 400 EX Hague e-mail: [email protected].

The admission process consists of two main parts:

security screening. There will be investigated regarding the way of riding can participate safely in the vehicle in traffic; an investigation by the RDW vehicle technical aspects. The RDW investigates whether the vehicle satisfies the standing requirements for such mopeds, such as (from January 1, 2012) in the Vehicle Regulations included. The RDW has decided to focus the assessment of such special mopeds on the testing station in Waddinxveen. The testing makes the assessment a test report. This will be sent to the Ministry.

A special moped will not be registered. On the basis of the results of both studies the minister’s decision to operate if the vehicle is be appointed or not.

Then theres this special info: Use of a special moped For more information on the use of particular mopeds I refer you to the website of the Ministry infrastructure and the environment, see:http://www.rijksoverheid.nl/onderwerpen/bromfiets/vraag-en-antwoord/welke-regels-gelden-er-voor-een-segway.html.

Chassis number A vehicle of the category "special moped 'must bear a VIN. The vehicle manufacturer may apply for a WIM code, for more information, I refer you to our website, see: https://www.rdw.nl/sites/tgk/Paginas/WMI-code-voor-(nieuwe)- voertuigfabrikanten.aspx. The RDW has decided not to store chassis numbers in a special moped. This is because the often small vehicles have a special (vulnerable) material. Our equipment is not designed to provide specific mopeds with a correct VIN.

Correct me if I am wrong: I have the feeling from this email it seems that the category of special mopeds is already allowed without the needs of vehicle registration as the ministry has released a regulation for Segway like vehicle. The category for segway like vehicle according to the Article 20b for electric drive is

electric motor with a maximum continuous rated power does not exceed 4 kW where our Turnigy SK3 motor 200Kv’ish is rated around 2500 Watt which is below the 4kW rating.

And I believe the next step would be finishing my eboard and go to testing station in Waddinxveen.

Have you tested that with the above listed configuration?

Yes I’ve tested it with my eBoard build configuration. Sometimes I also wonder when does the motor would draw 65A, but I believe it has something to do also with the voltage. So if the motor could handle 36V, maybe 65A would only be drawn if you have 36V configuration and try to climb up hill. However you really need to confirm this with some electro expert.

The fact that some batteries such as li ion and space cell have low current discharge (20A - 30A), makes me feel safe that those are the current are the one that would be drawn by the motor. Anyway if your ESC / Motor draw 65A continuous, for sure you will fry the ESC first than dmg the motor. It’s rated for peak, so meant to last 1 - 5 secondish.

Did you test it under load, while you were driving? I can imagine that it needs more current under load.

Yes it was tested underload on relatively flat street road with some obstacle from road to pavement, etc.

these Currents sound about right for an electric skateboard.

Because i am wondering why all people say: “Buy a 150a ESC”

From laurnts test it sounds like a 40a ESC would be enough. Am i wrong?

the thing you got to realize is that “150A” ESC has no hope in hell of actually handling “150A” so… when you buy 150A ESC you are more likely buying a ~60A ESC the numbers need to be taken with a grain of salt. a lot of people get confused about Amp ratings and its no wonder… they are so often exaggerated.

I agree with @lowGuido that okay the marking said 150A ESC but they are actually not as powerful as it’s written. Anyway the value 150A is only specifying max current draw, in which only last couple of seconds before your ESC start to burn. One more thing, this ESC are made for RC car and not to push 60kg++ weight for over 10km++ distance. I believe the RC ESC manufacturer just adjusted this value to make people choose ESC - motor and battery easier for RC.

However I have the feeling that the battery could deliver almost the amount of discharge rate specified. Many people store some lipo inside their car (dangerous not recommended) to jump start their car battery.

Unlike motor, I believe they are “half true” of what they could actually deliver. As stated that most Turnigy SK3 motor rated from 149kv to 245kv known to output around 2500W (36V 60A) peak, they can manage to do 30A (half of the peak value) for some period of time.

I know the difference between continous and burst current. I quoted the current: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__10370__HobbyKing_174_8482_150A_High_performance_Brushless_Car_ESC.html This ESC can continously handle 150a.

sure it can. :kissing_heart:

Th VESC is only 60amps, and it is known for being the best.

The difference is that it was specifically made for diy eboards… the car esc’s were made to push around little 5kg cars.

They were never designed to handle the load of a 65kg+ person trying to go 40kph. So it is correct that you can easily run a space cell, a VESC, and a turnigy motor and limit your entire setup to 30amps MAX and have absolutely zero problems. But the VESC was designed with this idea in mind…

The car esc’s were simply never made to handle conditions 100x harder than what they are designed for, so if you want them to actually work, you have to get a higher amp rating.

while I agree with what you said @cmatson the ESC’s were never designed with skateboards in mind, to be fair an Amp is an Amp regardless of what its attached to.

2 Likes

Cool to see more Dutch people on this board. Have you tested the Madcatz Nunchuck already? Would be sweet to see an alternative to the hard to find Nyko Kama (especially in Europe/NL)