Project kai/ diy dragon deck/ carvon dual hub motors trucks/ space battery/ dual vesc/ nunchuck

my first build of a longboard and e board. will update as i go.

So i started with high density foam for my mold and press with vacuum bag. i used 1/16 canadian maple veneers and a roarockit bag. i went with 6 plys.

cut it out with a jigsaw and sanded the edges by hand with 90 grit sand paper. i should have followed my lines better cause it took forever to sand it down by hand.

drilling the holes right took me forever cause i don’t have a printer to print out a template haha. so i measured it with centerline of the board and it took me like 30 min erasing and starting over but i did get it pretty good. it rolls straight. jumping up and down on it and it was way to flexible with 6 plys of maple. roll around the block and it was cool. had those extra set of paris trucks and venom wheels sitting around.

so i decided to add a design using fabric from the fabric store since i don’t have a printer like i said earlier. found a pretty cool print and i also decided to add fiberglass since it was way to flexible. worried it might break or cause problems with mounting stuff underneath of it.

i thought it looked pretty sweet being my first attempt so i decided to do the top of the board the same way.

so that is where i am at now. my plan for the electrical side is space cell and 2 vesc i have carvon dual hub motors ordered and i plan to build my own housing for all of it myself. i will hopefully order my vesc and battery within the next few days

continued… so i started building the enclosure since i drank to much last night and skipped out on fishing today.

i used duck tape and foam to make a mold. i know i could have got a cleaner look if i built a reverse mold but i didnt have enough foam so oh wells. cut the corners a little bit and it helped when i was glassing not sure how this will turn out but we will see. if i cant get it to look right or fit right i will probably go with psychotiller’s bad ass enclosures. I took the dragon deck out for a spin and it is still to flexible with 6 plys canadian maple and 5 sheets of fiber glass. Onloop said the space battery doesnt like flex so v1 is retired to a dancer/cruiser board.started on a second board this past week since i have too the end of nov or dec for my vesc. this new one is 8 ply canadian maple … hopefully wont flex much. also put less concave, pushed my truck holes out further and shortened the kicks. also ordered one of @psychotiller 's cases since i didnt like how my fiberglass one came out and i have lots of other things i rather spend my time on atm. will post a pic of the case later…after sanding it and painting first. waiting on fabric from joanns so i started messing with @psychotiller 's case. So my first attempt at sanding abs plastic… 100%bitch lol. i need to get a power sander i guess. doing it by hand took me hours. i did buy a dremel to cut holes in it though. a pic without clear yeti think they look better smoothed out but that’s just my opinion. Got my cloth in the mail so time to finish board 2.

7 Likes

MAN that fabric idea is killer… love that irezumi tattoo style heaps! you & @longhairedboy will get along great!

GREAT WORK SO FAR!.. definitely make sure it doesn’t flex, the space cell is fairly long and it doesn’t like flexing

2 Likes

thanks! its barely has any flex now. i used 6oz glass on both sides

Sweet. now please more photos!

it said i can only post 1 picture. i had 1 picture for every paragraph i wrote but just posted the last one because of that

just go comment on some other posts… its to prevent spammers…

heres some good ones to post something onto.

http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/new-member-introduce-yourself-here-tell-us-your-plan/216

That is so sick! Please tell me the housing will be as gorgeous as that deck is. And you got hub motors. Very nice.

1 Like

Forgive me if this is supposed to be obvious, but what do you mean that you put 6 oz of glass on each side?

6oz is a measurement of fibreglass thickness

1 Like

what lowguido said. normally i would use a thinner fiberglass cloth like 4 oz. to keep the board some what flexible. but because i am going electric on this i used a thicker fiberglass cloth to stiffen the board more. if you look on the last 3 pictures i posted you can see a white looking cloth around the board with the design on it. once you apply resin to the cloth it becomes transparent so the fabric under the fiberglass shows through. sorry if you knew that already but i figured i would explain the best i can just in case someone else doesn’t know this.

1 Like

And that is how a board is bagged. Great job on this all around @kai !

A black box would look pretty good on there I think. Also you have the option of putting a colored wrap on it or painting it. Maybe even etch a pattern design into it.

How was the oder on the West Systems epoxy? I’m planning to start using that to fill my wire channels as soon as my current supply of 3m crap runs out.

Personally i didn’t find the odor that powerful with west system epoxy but it is still epoxy and it still stinks. I suggest doing it outside The cheap stuff i got at the hardware store when i build my fiberglass subwoofer enclosure was worse though. The awesome thing about west system is the pump measuring system they have. Made life a lot easier but it is not cheap. I may try adding some kind of design into the enclosure. Maybe the ricepaper varnish technique.

OMG the west system pump is so good! :hand: Hi five for west system

1 Like

beautiful DIY build. Nicely done Kai!

1 Like

@kai In order to make the “E-board Builds” category really easy to search & locate specific builds i am asking that you change your title to something descriptive that better expresses the makeup of your build.

Most of the new build threads tend to end up with a name such as "new- noob - noobie - beginner - first - build - help - newb" this becomes hard to keep track of.

I would like to see each build thread with a descriptive title, such as; Project Name | Deck Name | Trucks | Motor type | Mounting method | Voltage/Battery | ESC

Example The Samurai | Custom Deck | Paris Trucks | R-SPEC | Custom Mount | 10S | VESC

let me know if the title is acceptable. and my checks clear tomorrow or sunday i should be ordering the final pieces i need from you! space battery and 2 vesc woooot!

1 Like

Much better, thank you…

Now when people search for these keywords in google they have a much better chance of finding the relevant info.

ALSO note, if it’s too long it gets cut off when you enter the thread… so any unnecessary words such as “and” can be removed. just need keywords only. It doesn’t really need to be a sentence.

ALSO: you don’t need to have “in progress first build” people will be able to determine the progress based on the content of the thread.

regards JASON

Got my order in for the vesc and space cell. Now the wait. Hopefully i am on the end of november list. @onloop you can just send the vesc and space cell together when my batch for the vesc is ready. Does the space cell require ventilation?

I assume your order is after #1133

If so you will be receiving late November.

The space cell ships seperatley. You’ll get that soon.

Doesn’t need ventilation.

Awesome! I thought it might be even later since the demand seems so high. Thanks!