Programmer w/ understanding of VESC PC-side software language?

NO! It can not, because with 0,001 Ohm the VESC does not work properly beyond 160A. (short time peak, not DC)

I see the amp settings value for smoothing out the acceleration more than trying to get a faster start up to 2mph or there about. especially since we’re all pushing to get to maybe 3 mph anyway it doesn’t seem worth it. More so I’d like to see if it possibly smooths cogging at these slow speeds and if the reason it’s cogging at 2mph is because there isn’t enough power

Are you kidding me?!? What do you think showed the picture I send here? Programmer w/ understanding of VESC PC-side software language? - #38 by hexakopter - ESK8 Electronics - Electric Skateboard Builders Forum | Learn How to Build your own E-board[quote=“devin, post:76, topic:15832”]

This seems very pertinent to the topic at hand, I still however have some inkling that he may be referring to -160A to 160A DC… which would mean that the 34A DC MAX expected with 34/200/200 @ 50V @ 0.0415ohm winding @ 1660 watts is well within bounds.

$100 is still on the table. [/quote] Good that a destroyed DRV is cheaper than 100$. Go with your 34A DC…:rolling_eyes: I think you must learn it the hard way.

Then what do you think are the sensors good for?

Making 160A AC to 34A DC for the shunts… :yum:

I think when you don’t go above 160 Amps the VESC will be fine for a while. And if the temperature goes too high it will reduce the power automatically. @Hummie What is the AWG size of the Phase wires. If they are too thin you might shouldn’t do that many times.

That is wrong. That is not how wheels work.

And that is wrong as well. check Joule heating - Wikipedia

Well, I almost missed Devins lengthy and repeated calculations all over the forum. Almost … :innocent:

talking about the mechanical side like @NickTheDude did.

Power used for acceleration can be calculated like the following (going straight, not uphill; this is neglecting friction and wind resistance, wind resistance increases with the square of the velocity). P = m * a * v P for Power in Watts m for Mass in Kg a for acceleration in m/(s*s) v for final velocity in Km/h

if this is all correct, then we have the following examples, all with a 85kg rider / rig

0 to 30km/h in 5 seconds = 1181 Watts 0 to 5km/h in 1 second = 164 Watts 0 to 5km/h in 0.5 seconds = 328 Watts

So what is the issue overall? Don’t think the motor is coughing because of lack of power. In order to use 2000 Watts you would have to go from 0km/h to 30km/h in just under 3 seconds. That’s pretty quick. or from 0 to 5km/h in 0.08 seconds. My logging data shows that I’m using a lot of power when accelerating uphill. So I need the power to go up my long hills and especially when I have to slow down and accelerate again due to traffic.

So not sure what we gain by upping the motor amp limit to 200A?

Ish. But no. @PB1, @NickTheDude So the way to calculate it is you have to use rolling resistance. I think I made a post in some thread a while back.

The reason you cannot neglect friction is because that is literally how wheels work. You assume no friction and you spin your wheels in place. You also should not neglect air drag as that is a big chunk of the power in our application.

Rolling resistance is not the same as static or dynamic friction. So it’s a different set of equations than the ones @NickTheDude used.

But your conclusion is right @PB1, the amount of acceleration to reach 2000W from standstill is idiotic.

exactly! And this is the point.

I neglected friction and air drag to keep things simple. Of course you can calculate all of this.

Air drag plays a big role when going fast. Actually a rule of thumb is that you need around 250 Watts to pedal a bicycle at around 20km/h. I don’t know about a skateboarder, could be more or less depending on stance.

Friction of 4 well maintained bearings should not be much and we don’t have belts here. Rolling resistance of skateboard wheels on smooth concrete? Feels low to me, make a suggestion how to calculate. Should be more interesting to calculate and read than another post about duty cycle, haha.

1 Like

Drag of a standing human sideways is D=.5 *rho * v^2 * cd * A

Cd = ~1.2 A = frontal area

If I remember correctly… The rolling resistance coefficient would have to be measured. It is the ratio between the weight of moving object and the force required to tow it. I dont recall if it was speed related. I do know that there is also a limit of how much torque you could apply before just spinning the wheels.

Some points either just go completely over your head or you choose to ignore them…

One little thing you might didn’t realize yet. 2000 watts at stand still results in much more acceleration then 2000 watts at 30 km/h. I suggest that you should build a board and buy a vesc to do your tests. And when you realize how powerful the boards can be then you want more controlability instead of acceleration from a stand still.

But still the test could be interesting. But please keep it here in this thread and don’t spread it everywhere.

1 Like

All deeply interesting. Although, a bit jaded by conflict.

2 such brilliant combatants of 2 such different passions

would be better working together.

Just remember. Skateboarding, by definition, is about putting yourself into a situation that you do not have full control of. Yet strangely, invitingly, it is a situation that invites more grace more insight than you may be willing or able to control. Thus, you must love that it also invites you to Learn it. Know it. Fully. And fly in its wings.

So don’t fight about it. Unravel the fight about what we seek together.

Sorry about the prose. I shoulda used ALL CAPS.