Pre-order: The Rocket Deck: Dual hollow channel longboard reverse mounted drop through deck!

@evoheyax any way to make them top mount? In my view would be only two operations not done

And another thing, are you sure that 70 wide fit 2170 cells? you have to account to nickel thickness, balance wires, heatshrink, etc. at least 5mm more per side

Edit: Just a quick mock up I did, a few suggestions, indeed 70mm is to narrow, the VESC 6 won’t fit as it is 70.5mm too tight for my taste, and also, if you increase the the lenght of the pocket bit it is possible to fit 10S5P. If you use the zigzag pattern i used its just 10mm more or 60mm more with a flat layout

What do you mean by top mounted? The lid goes on top…

Also, I realized a few days ago 70mm is too narrow. This is why the production version will be 650mm x 80mm.

:wink:

Nice. I mean the trucks top mounted, not drop

I will update the drawing with the new length and what I can fit

The deck is simply too thick for top mounted. This is about as much as you can get away with already before you have issues with the truck making contact with the bottom of the board while turning.

Pictures of the deck your talking about.

Again, if someone wants the truck recession cut to other trucks, I can easily mill out another truck pattern myself. The beauty of having an in house cnc machine :slight_smile:

I think we are saying the same thing but I’m confounding thinks, the lid of the deck goes on the bottom them? All the pictures are from the bottom?

No, all pictures are from the top.

So it is drop through them? Making it top mount would only increase the clearance of the wheels/truck and ground height

1 Like

Yes, don’t mean to be a dick, but it’s in the title for a reason :wink:

Making it top mounted would mean the whole deck would be even lower to the ground and give less clearance for the truck. The reverse recession means the trucks are mount onto of the board, but they sit flush with the top of the board instead of sticking up like most drop through decks. Think of evolve CGT… Trucks are mounted like that.

You can also bottom mount trucks too…

You have your terminology mixed up. Topmount means the trucks are “on the bottom”

4 Likes

Sorry, didn’t even see the title, but exactly what @jmasta said, an option to to top mount, without the two holes that makes the truck go through the board

No…The deck would have to be milled or you’d have to use a custom truck baseplate. The deck is over an inch thick. And i always thought top-mount is the deck mounting on top of the truck (higher ride height) and drop through is where the truck baseplate is oriented through the deck cutout (lower ride height)

Sorry, I guess I do. Who calls the bottom of their deck the top? Make zero sense. To me, mounting the trucks on the bottom (i.e the graphic side) of the deck is bottom mounted. Not talking to you per say, It;s just confusing to me.

But ok, lets call it top mounted. You can top mount any truck you like on this deck. You don’t need to do anything special. Might be a little high off the ground, but I did it with 90mm carvon 2’s before and it wasn’t an issue.

1 Like

Heres an example with the carvon v2’s with 90mm ABECs with funbox trucks (so they don’t fit the reverse recession without re cutting it, which I can do):

This is the first iteration of the deck I made btw, NOT the final deck that is being made now. But the concepts are all there. This one is way more professional looking though.

And with the paris trucks with hummies steel hubs, here’s how it looks:

3 Likes

Something that should help to make it look thinner is make a really shallow chamfer on the bottom side, but maybe it is not noticeable

Do you have any picture with you (or anyone) on top of it?

eskate1

7 Likes

Will the production version be any thinner?

1 Like

When you reverse recession mount on this deck, you are just as low to the ground as reverse mounting on a drop through deck. That was the deck on a hard turn.

The thickness is an issue thats hard to get rid of on these kinds of decks.

At the end of the day, you need 22mm to fit a 21700 cell. Then theres 3 layers for structure on both the top and bottom, for 6 layers total. Can’t really get away with any thinner.

What can be done is tweaks to make the deck look thinner. Chaka painted the bottom black, and continued that paint up the side to cover the first 4 layers. This made the deck look a decent amount thinner, while not actually making it thinner.

What I could do is make a thinner version for 18650’s only, which could shave a few layers off. But then, would’n’t fit the foxbox cause the focbox is 22mm thick…

In the end of the day, it’s still thinner in the center of the deck than an enclosure mounted board. In that case, you need a 9 layer deck + 22mm for electronics. In this case, it’s 22mm for electronics and 6 layers for the deck (3 for the bottom, 3 for the lid)

How wide is chakas? Wonder if you could extend the width a bit and taper the edges to a narrower shape.

I’m not sure, but chakas is wider because he has 3 channels (al be it the middle one is only 50mm wide instead of 80mm).

I This is already extended as much as possible. One option might be to push the screws and metal screw inserts inward a little bit. As it is now, I ask about rounding the edges, but they said it would hit the screw inserts.

Theres defiantly 2 changes so far, which is pocket to 80mm wide instead of 70mm and 650mm long instead of 558mm. If I could push the screws inward so the edge can be rounded slightly, then chakas paint trick.