Pneumatic wheels

I’m reserving judgement until I get them all machined and balanced. They maybe the cheapest option, but if they are unusable then it’s not a good choice. I’ve seen other options, but they were far more expensive though.

@gordy @michaeld33 they are definitely usable. But they have problems. I can’t wait until something better is more widely available.

Anybody ever tried these 8inch wheels?

aluminium rim, tire and bearings for 16€

perhaps @elkick can help out with some good wheels for EU guys?!

I haven’t finished mine but I got the tires from northern tool and equipment, they are stores in the US., they have 6,8,10 inch diameter wheels, I plan on mounting them with bolts and plastic resin to fake flywheels so I can still use enertions gear.

Can we see them @Dornacht ?

So an update on how I got on with the Skike wheels. I got them machined down by a local machine shop and they ran into an issue when one of the wheels shattered on the lathe. Luckily I bought 6 so had spares!

Unfortunately I discovered they weren’t going to work for my deck as they touch the deck in extreme leans. So as I don’t fancy face-planting I will have to go for smaller wheels. :smiley:

I even tried mounting my trucks in the normal way instead of drop-through and 3d printed some 10mm risers to try to give me the clearance.

1 Like

sorry to say but 6in are most likely the smalllest pneumatics you will find. can’t you cut the deck a little?

I could, but I think I have enough clearance with the risers and 83mm with the batteries I’ve now gone for.

Forgot to upload this one of the board with wheels on.

It looks damn cool with them on sadly :frowning:

2 Likes

3, maybe 4 sets left out of this batch.

http://psychotiller.com/product/6-billet-wheel-hubs

1 Like

@gordy I was about to suggest making cutouts in your deck, but that’s probably a little harder with the beer can board! Although you could pretty easily soften this angles with a dremel tool and then paint them. Are you using Paris 195s? They have the most room of the “commonly available” trucks and motor mounts are available for them. Don’t give up too easily on pneumatics, you’ll love the ride.

The Skikes are 5-inch :slight_smile:

I could go through all that, but the only reason for going with the skike’s in the first place was to allow more room for battery clearance. The space of gained with the truck mounting change is more than enough I think. I am waiting for the wheels/batteries to arrive in order to test my theory.

The skike’s were also going to need a ton of work balancing them, so it seems a lot more work for not a lot of gain. I will keep them for the meantime in case I change my mind :smiley:

You are right - sorry for the typo. I meant the skikes are basically the smallest diameter pneumatics I know.

1 Like

Anyone else try these 5" scooter wheels? Inflate to 80psi and seem to be working really well. I just had to press the bearing out and respace them. They bolt right on standard truck with no modification and are about $26 shipped state side each with the bearing,wheel, tube, and tire.

No wobble(@ 22mph anyway) and they ride great. I’m 6’4 @ 200lbs and the ride quality was night/day just swapping the front only.Working on a modified avenue trucks truck pad suspension of some sort for the rear now.

Pretty cheap if you buy 100!

Interesting wheels. Though i see a bit of complicated design, if one wishes to attach a pulley to these.

Not sure whenever simple ‘bolts through spokes’, design would work here

3d printed inserts that goes inbetween the spokes. If there is a will there is a way :wink:

I’d think drilling the center of the cheaper steel pneumatic wheels out completely to say 80mm or so would be the easiest route. Then use some sort of strong epoxy that glued the pneumatic wheel to the urethane wheel. Could even go a 1/2 to 1/4 mm shy and press them in with epoxy.

Again though for $50 you can get the spring loaded pad and truck from avenue for the rears. Just file down their truck a bit for your motor mount and run urethane on the rear. And run the cheapie pneumatics up front.

Not a pneumatic wheel, but a solution for hub motors and a much softer ride. I welded up a little plate onto the avenue trucks mounting plate. Then bolted on my E-hub motor/truck assy.

I drilled 3 additional 1/8th” holes in the bend of the spring as it was initially too rigid. The ride quality isn’t as good as having 4 pneumatic wheels, but with the pneumatic wheels up front and spring suspension in the rear, it’s a BIG difference!

I’m trying it out on the new WOWGO board. Sits a bit high for my liking. I ordered another drop deck to swap out.

1 Like

@cdn what brand pullies are you using? Maybe a link? Looking for metal ones iso printed. Thanks!