PLANK - A concept wood deck with built-in enclosure

Yeah but IMO in his design once you close the top there’s no holes or whatever you can place a waterproof griptape and the job is done. All the holes will be under the board in his design. Personally i don’t see much risks.

I didn’t either until it happened to me. I’m trying to warn y’all not to make the same mistakes. If we’re not learning from mistakes than why are we doing?

2 Likes

Yea I would purchase the Honey DFR board, cut the opening, make the router section on top and bottom for the top deck to be flush, cut an aluminum bracket or wrap something in carbon fiber for the bottom strength bracket.

The enclosure could be done a few ways. The first is to make a mold (3d print or foam) and make layers like a skateboard and then CNC or just CNC straight from a solid piece of wood. Some attachments would be make to the board that secure the enclosure for a tight fit.

Ill make another model with the enclosure on the bottom for better water-proofing. For me in San Diego this isn’t an issue, but I see where it could be a hazard for the electronics.

For cable management I assume your talking about @longhairedboy and how he adds bullet connecters to the bottom and makes routes for the wires on the top of the board to the enclosure. I like this approach, but for this design I have the 4 small holes in the rear of the enclosure, one for power switch, one for charging connecter, and 2 for motor wires.

Modeling the definition of insanity?

I put my switches, guages, and charge ports on the sides and bottom. Nothing goes on top. That’s where your feet go. And crazy fucked up artwork. and mud and water.

shit on the bottom gets banged up but doesn’t present major fluid ingress risks. Charge port can go there because mine have swinging lids that can take a direct hit from a rock and use XLR connectors which physically distance and sheild the power leads from acute dirty moisture continuity.

Fule guages get too fucked up down there, but almost nothing ever strikes the side of the box. The wheel spray passes right by it and nothing hits it. Seal around it and moisture ingress is a non issue.

The rocker switches are the same. They can take a hit but don’t have to. moisture ingress can theoretically happen within the switch but can’t get past it, and to date has not been an issue. They have simple parts and are less prone to vibrational switching mechanism damage than the push buttons which are hit or miss. I have some that fail immediately and one that’s been on Ru for 2 years. But switches can’t be on the bottom or they’ll get hit, and the top is no place for them either.

1 Like

@b264 better water proofing :wink:

7 Likes

Oh yeah, now that’s what I’m talking about. Ride through anything

@longhairedboy

Do you think, by your experience that something like ollin did can be do with like 20 ply and CNC cut ?

May I ask why are there 6 holes on either side? You still only have 1 mounting position)

Ohh) it’s just that they were so evenly spaced)

I promise you that that is the wrong spacing.

The holes in the 3D model were just put in for display purposes of the concept. Ill be making a new one with actual dimension and spacing.

phew! sorry if I came across as a dick. deck looks awesome!

Any updates on this?

I just made this as a concept. No intention of actually making it. I don’t have the tooling.