Pave-X 2 Wheeler | 2nd Build | 8" Pneumatic | Single SK3 6374 192 kv | VESC | Homemade Deck | 10S Lipos

This is the sickest thing iv seen all year:+1:

Glad to see You make progress in this build! I was really curious how it was going. Can’t wait to hear what You have to say about riding it :smiley:

Did you use normal vacuum cleaner to form enclosures? I must say You nailed it :clap:

Slowly coming along. If I get my butt in gear I might have it ridable in a couple days although I see rain in the forecast. I used a formech vacuum former (300 XQ). Took a few tries to get the plastic at the right temp, but after that, it’s pretty easy. I like the final product compared to 3d printing but it’s time consuming making the mold. Thinking of putting the same batt case on my other ride (which has been taking a lot of my time as I try to figure out the weak motor issue). I see you’ve been having ESC issues with your 4-wheeler as well.

discovered this thread just now - its amazing! i envy 3D modeler with cnc access - you bring diy to a whole different level! i need to get into that someday!!

also love your sense for aesthetics - beautiful details, nice pictures :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Seen this thread the first time… woooooow Super nice build with great details awesome skillz mate, keep on building :+1:

Thanks man. Yeah, the CNC is a pretty useful thing to have around. Adds a new dimension to vacuum forming. Love what you’re doing with your custom enclosures. Makes the final build look really polished and pro.

Thanks for the comment. Been studying your work for a while. Very inspiring… as you can tell from all the copies of your design ideas out there.

1 Like

Ridden!

Finally got things together and was able to test this thing out. It’s an interesting ride, for sure. Not as precise as a four-wheeler (or bike, for that matter) but fun nonetheless. It’s “fun” as in, “this is challenging” kind of way–but not impossible or frustrating. Kind of like when you started to learn to ride a two wheeler. It got a little easier as time went by. Did not go too fast but not too slow either. Did not have my full road rash gear. As @squad mentioned, it does get more stable at speed although it’s not too bad at slow speeds either, imo. Started out holding onto something then pushing off. Later was able to push off and get going unassisted. Was able to make gentle turns, the kind of stuff you would have to do to stay on city roads while avoiding pedestrians. Once I get padded up, will make this thing go faster.

Some photos. Still have a few things to do like add grip tape, CB Radio, etc.

First, some glamour shots. Ignore the bird crap and misplaced electrical tape.

</br>

Four wheeler donated two wheels. More wheels and drive gear on order.

Under the hood. Plenty of space for VESC and receiver.

Covered up with ABS enclosure. Need to make channel in deck a little wider to accommodate both wires from batts. although it fits.

Battery compartment for 2 5000 mah lipos.
The whole mess. Will be milling something from Alu. for the top that accepts a Ny-Loc nut. This set-up stayed on well with regular nut and hand tightening. Want to add an off/on switch on top or side of this case. A voltmeter here could be nice too.

Ride vidz coming soon. Thanks for your interest. Would be great if more people got into this 2 wheel thing and played with different configs. I think this has some potential.

11 Likes

The new hubs and tires arrived a couple days ago. Figured I should take some pics before they get all scuffed up. Having fun riding this thing.

15 Likes

Dude I love your board!

How heavy is it by the way?

I assume this thing should be way less heavy than 4wheeled / 3 wheeled boards :slight_smile: + doesnt have a handle bar like scooters has… 5kg?

Maybe it also needs some springs… or bushings for the steering… :smiley:

Have you learnt to control it better now?

Haven’t weighed it yet but it’s significantly lighter than my other board. The struts and steering mech are aluminum so not too heavy. The steering is getting easier with practice. It’s pretty precise but definitely different than a skateboard. The challenge makes it pretty fun to ride.

2 Likes

That’s some excellent craftsmanship

My board is based on the same concept and weights 9kg :smiley: but it’s all alu and G10 fiberglass laminate, BUT hey, thats still far less than my 16kg Trampa :joy:

mh 9kg is still quite a bit… I assume the middle section is pretty heavy…

Single drive mountainboard with 6inch wheels and ~400wh / 36cell battery weights 10.2kg or so…

Without battery it was about 8.2kg

With the heavier 9’'inch wheels it is about 11.8 kg or so I think, wheels alone weight 2kg almost I think :smiley:

Some raw ride footage from ride no. 6. Got about 50 kilometers on it now. Tried to show the steering assembly in action by Jobying the Gopro to my leg. Max speed about 31 kph. Just realized watching the video that I lost my air scoop. Need to print a new one and find a better way fasten it. It was only on with some hot glue. More video on the way.

9 Likes

Sounds fun… I both like and dislike the motor/vesc produces when speed is higher… :smiley:

Looks like u got some pretty good speed there :slight_smile:

On a side note… would u prefer if the steering mechanism ‘‘was slower’’ or it is good as it is?

I kind of like the steering as it is, probably just 'cause I’m used to it now. Not sure if by slower you mean tighter (more friction) or maybe a different geometry that is less responsive. It’s definitely functional and will probably improve as my riding gets better over time.

After riding it quite a bit, doesn’t seem like it’s necessary. Haven’t been jumping off curves with it. :grimacing: I find it’s hard to reposition feet once you get moving. Maybe with more practice…

2 Likes