Open Source Precision Trucks - Looking for design feedback

Hahahaha you read the same first thing I read :joy: I shortly realized how old that post was lol

2 Likes

Or you fabricate different axle stubs. This one allows street and AT wheel setup (basically a copy of the Evolve axle). Unfortunately, the typical cheapskater doesnā€™t want to spend lots on trucks.

That setup wonā€™t allow me to put motors over the axles if I want to and I donā€™t trust axle stubs

I do like the idea of an open source eskate truck however I feel like most of the ideas here are based on standard skate truck design . . . if we could do anything is this the best place to start?

There is a large number of creative people here, if we actually thought a little more outside the box maybe we could create something brand new specifically for eskate.

Some ideas, unrelated to each other and maybe ridiculous:

• Tampa style channel truck that could fit a standard board?
  • base plate with integrated motor wire channels to keep things tidier
  • Threaded holes in hangar faces so that mounts can be bolted on directly?
  • longer hanger than needed, cut to length yourself then screw in axles?
  • base plate that has space to mount VESC inside, enclosing when bolted to board. base plate could also act as heat sync.
  • built in steering dampener?

At 1st I was like ZINGER!, but then I was like wait, thatā€™s an ancient reply there, lolā€¦none the less, still wrong as wrong could be though, lol

I was thinking about some trampa style trucks that had space for motors integrated inside. This means you could get the motor close enough to get direct drive even on 90mm wheels. Threw together a quick mock-up of what this could look like :slight_smile: Also i am aware that there is currently no space for the springs inside the hanger but maybe they could be external at the back or underneath.

11 Likes

Hopefully there are suspension system like avenue Competition makes better product too

I like where this is headed :+1:.

At some point Iā€™d like to see a switch to driving an axel that drives the wheel, instead of driving the wheel direct. Youā€™d get better support for the gears, as you could have a bearing each side; this should cut down on vibration (no more cantilevered beams) and therefore noise. Opens up other options; solid rear axel (aka welded diff), differential system, or even just the status quo of two motors. With better gear support and precision you could even start looking at bevel gear setups.

Have you tried uploading the hanger to something like Xometry, or 3dhubs. Youā€™ll need to signup, but they provide automated online quotes which would give a ballpark figure on how much it would cost to machine. Iā€™ve run some much simpler motor mount designs through and the quotes were reasonable (even for a single piece). Machine time is the big cost, and Iā€™m guessing itā€™d take quite some time to mill down this designā€¦ itā€™d still be interesting to know the $$$.

Of course for all I know you may have a Tormach in your garage :money_mouth_face:.

This has been spoken before. Open differential Electric Skateboard - Single motor dual rear - #22 by onepunchboard - ESK8 Mechanics - Electric Skateboard Builders Forum | Learn How to Build your own E-board

1 Like

Donā€™t know how I missed this thread.

So having tried 20 trucks or more and comming back to the same this is what I need in a truck:

• 176mm -184mm width
  • 48-45 degree baseplate (adjustable in the back from 45-20)
  • Suitable for double tall barrel bushings
  • Insert bushing would be awesome
  • As much surface for the pivot as possible (as tight of a fit as possible), this will also take strain from the bushings and put more weight on the pivot. Allowing more freedom in bushings set ups.
  • a dished bushinng seat is bliss. (if the bushing is tightened it compressses in the dish, preloading the bushings by default)

(example of a dished seat, hard to explain)

7 Likes

184mm hanger width with an additional 8mm in axle length on either side with removable axles. That would allow me to run 15mm belts in a dual 6355 config on a normal sized truck. Also wire management in the base plate.

I donā€™t think wider trucks are the answer here unless you just need to cram dual 6374s on there. The downhill community is using increasingly narrower trucks for good reasons.

queen pin, dished bushing seats.

Iā€™d love to produce some of these locally if this works out.

5 Likes

Indeed narrow trucks are in the coming. They turn quicker, give you more direct weight on the wheel and the are NOT less stable as popular belief may let you think.

I am comfortable on 174mm. Have to admit though, people running 160mm on races isnā€™t for me. They are so damn snappy :slight_smile:

4 Likes

if you go narrow you need the new super wide wheels (and a square lip) to go with, cult raptures, venom mach 1ā€™sā€¦ makes a world of difference

1 Like

I am actually running mach1 and abec centrax atm. (cold pavement, cold urethane = need bigger contact patch and more lip.)

But I am a creature of habbit. RAD wheels are just perfect for me.

2 Likes

For a single motor of diagonal-dual motor setup the narrow trucks will work just fine, or better really, but for dual motor it seems 220mm is needed to get those big motors mounted togetherā€¦The hanger width options for a company wishing to make an eskate specific truck needs to make them in 165mm, 180mm and a 220mmā€¦itā€™s quite a lot of differences in size options for the same truck but it would be idealā€¦

I currently run a 169mm precision rkp truck on my single motor long range board, I find the truck width to be just about perfect for the 90mm and 97mm Abec11ā€™s and even better for the 107ā€™sā€¦

Iā€™m going to try the 218mm Torque trucks and a dual setup to see how these super wide Torque boards trucks perform using the same wheels. Itā€™s strange how the far the wheels stick out, I am not use to this at all. I typically ride top-mount so I am really curious how the setup will ride. thinking of putting it on a Prism Theory v2 deck with the appropriate risersā€¦

1 Like

What radius and minimum thickness is recommended for the dished seat? Anybody?

1 Like

wrong place since they arenā€™t really precision but this is what iā€™ve been working on

2 Likes

little bro spend some time looking at the ronin precisionā€™s and the aera k5ā€™sā€¦

I have them both in 164mmā€¦ :sunglasses:

canned imagesā€¦

go more triangle LittleBroā€¦ & widen the bases much as you canā€¦

1 Like

thing isā€¦

this are 250mm hangars, the base is already wider than normal trucks.

the goal was to have as much mounting space as humanly possible for motor mounts

1 Like

oh, you want to get rid of the katanas ? :slight_smile:

1 Like