Ollin FreeRides available for pre-order

Over two weeks since they sent out the one board. Has anyone heard of any other boards getting delivered?

Are they setup over canbus or separate?

They’re working on them in batches of 10. I think the next wave should be going out soon.

They’re setup over canbus

@ackmaniac I was talking to Chaka over email and he said you can take the pack down to 33v resting safely since the discharge is at a much lower rate. Even momentarily sagging to 2.8v is supposedly ok as 18650 are designed to handle that dip, but it will start building up heat. He also mentioned this information will differ from a lot of people’s understandings due to prevailing understanding being based on smaller packs.

I took a ride to depletion yesterday starting at 35.5v - rode 3.5 miles before the low voltage mode kicked in at 33v. Was able to get another 3 miles after that before hitting 2.8v and the board shutting down. I’m not sure if the vesc’s recorded temperature are a good indicator of the pack’s heat but it never exceeded 78F and the ambient temperature at the time was ~50F.

In the app you can see when the battery cutoff start kicks in. That is when the battery Box get’s yellow. When you have been at 35.5V then i am pretty sure that the VESC reduced the power when you gave a bit more throttle. But that is absolutely fine. Personally i would even set the battery cutoff start to 3.0V a cell and the cutoff end to 2.8V a cell. This way you are always on the safe side for Li-Ion batterys and have a high power output for a bit longer. And when you feel that the board is reducing the power output drastically then you should stop your ride.

Entering into four weeks since delivery of #001, does anyone know what happened? Were boards delivered?

Only 1 delivered so far but the review is positive. No idea on the ship schedule - I emailed to ask a couple days ago and haven’t heard back. I think it will be a while longer…

Ollin’s belt drive system is so well thought out

I like it better than what I designed myself :joy:

4 Likes

Another short video

1 Like

Thx a lot for the video, very good information. BTW you can increase the video Quality by using these settings. I think you used the default parameters.

1 Like

Ugh, the latest update on Instagram was really dissapointing. I was under the impression that there was a lot more progress. Those are only decks #002-006 and they aren’t cut or wired yet. They are only mocked up.

I know it sucks @Gizmo, but the really good thing is that anything Ollin related has a great rep with not only product but one of the best customer service reps to go along with their product. I know that doesn’t negate the fact that they’re behind in production (if that’s even the case, I don’t know), you’re going to get a grade A+ board when you do get it. Hope everything works out.

do you have one on order giz? if so you can get his # and give him a call - get the best info this way. It sounds like this batch is pretty dang close (since that instagram post the lids, skins etc are done and the trucks look like they’re routed now) - I check the gram every day haha

Commuting with the freeride. I still haven’t adjusted the voltage to capacity so the range readings the app is giving are off. @Ackmaniac - I know you like videos with your app, so wanted to tag you :slight_smile: .

4 Likes

Ollin motor mount

The only real adjustment that needs to be made is motor mount angle, all of the lateral movement is static and belt tension is set by the tensioner bearing size. The belt doesn’t slip or travel laterally (I’ve found with other 12mm systems there can be lateral movement causing a clicking noise).

A little loctite between the clamp and the truck keeps the clamp angle in place - the pictures are of when I cleaned the back motor mount. The front motor mount I cleaned about 200 miles ago, and it’s been solid.

4 Likes

is that clone wheel or just real dirty ABEC?

1 Like

Abec11’s that I dyed black

2 Likes

I’m curious what you think about the friction-fit motor mount (Requires you to set an angle and use loc-tite?) Why not mill a keying feature or flat onto one edge of trucks and motor mount to lock it in? Do you run a different angle depending on the wheels, or is there never a need to adjust that? And how do you know you have the “right” angle or does it matter within a given area (far as possible from ground but not close enough to hit deck under turn I guess?)

Hey Fred,

I don’t think loctite is 100% necessary, but I like to have it anywhere it makes sense as insurance. I like to have the mount as high as possible. The only thing to look out for when setting the angle is making sure the mount doesn’t hit the board on turns, I’ve found this to be a little more than the thickness of my index finger. You could have it shallow enough for the smallest wheels and just leave them there. I adjust when switching between 83mm and 90mm wheels when the riser is taken out.

There is a set screw in the mount but no flat on the truck.

When I was messing around with different wheel sizes I hadn’t tightened it enough when I first mounted it and dust got in-between the mount and the truck which lead to an inconsistent clamp. Once I cleaned it, it worked great. I know Chaka has made some modifications to the clamp from my feedback so it may be a little different.

1 Like

Looks that stop traffic

3 Likes

Looking good bruddah :slight_smile: Blends nicely with the tree