Ollin FreeRides available for pre-order

Moar

Video if possible, we want to see it in action :smiley:

I’ve posted two quick videos. No ride videos yet - maybe next weekend.

8 Likes

The website mentions android and iPhone telemetry and I think you touched on it a bit. Is there an Ollin supported app or does it work with another app?

It works with the apps available for the vesc - ackmaniac’s monitor for android, vesc monitor for apple.

1 Like

Did you make sure to select 2 motors (VESCs) in the App. Otherwise it only takes the consumption values of one VESC and does the range calculation on that. Would be great if you can share a video.

1 Like

I watched the entire video, mostly because my OCD wanted desperately for you to clean your wheels.

4 Likes

Hi @Ackmaniac, love your app. Just shot you a donation!

I did select two motors. Using your recommended values in the battery voltage table I think it’s way off - it dropped from 36 to 7 miles of range at one point. Still need to do some experimenting of my own to fine tune it.

I’ve been sick the last couple of days so I haven’t been able to ride much. I’ve ridden it 23 miles since I charged it and it’s hovering around 35-36 volts right now; I am planning on riding it until it hits 33 volts to come up with a better idea of overall range of the board from a full charge.

I was shooting a video with your app earlier this week and accidentally deleted it in the app :cry:

The app only calculates the range and battery percentage when no power is drawn. So to have a good reading you should not draw any power for like 3 seconds. Every time you release the throttle the calculation gets adopted to the actual battery voltage. But the battery needs like 3 seconds to get back to its normal no load voltage.

Yep - I’m aware of that. It’s still giving me strange results and I think it’s due to what I input into the battery setup table. I’ve been using the table you provided here:

Which I think is for a 12S setup.

In the battery setup table “number of cells” I take to mean how many series of batteries, not actually how many cells are in the pack. So I put 10 since it’s a 10s6p.

That’s correct. You also need to set the Wh right for your battery. When it is a Samsung 25R then it is 3.6V * 2.5 Ah * 10S * 6P = 540Wh And when you switch off the board and switch it back on then the Wh drawn and charged values are 0 again. So it starts to calculate the average values again based on your actual consumption. So when you accelerate hard then the values go very high for a short moment until the average normalizes again.

1 Like

A very short ride video

pretty strong voltage sag, guess its because the battery is already fairly low and in the stronger decline regions of the discharge curve, but still didnt expect this kind of drop from chakas large batteries. :hushed:

could also be temperature, but if you just rode your board down to 34V, it might be at a reasonable temperature.

which cells does chaka use?

I don’t think it’s the temp, before this video I had only ridden less than a mile to this track so the pack wasn’t really warmed up. I hadn’t charged it after a longer ride earlier that week.

LGHE4s I believe.

from his IG

I would say that the cells are already empty. Can you please make a longer video of a normal ride. Because the actual video is not really the way a longboard used normally. Also the used Wh are too low and not realistic. Also when you wrote that you made already 24 miles with the battery from a full charge then the numbers don’t match with the consumption in the video. Because in the video you done already half a mile with very very low usage and then only accelerated 2 times and coasted with a max speed of like 19 miles per hour. When we say that the battery is empty or nearly empty and you rode 24 miles with it then it is at roughly 13- 14 wh per kilometer (21 - 21.5 wh per mile). Of course this is depended on your own weight and the way you rode the board. But more or less it comes to a normal Wh consumption. Best would be to have video where you start at a specific point and come back to that point at a decent speed.

Also you lowered the values for the batterys percentage in the app. And i think they are too low. I recommend to have 0% at 3.5V a cell at no load. But it seems you set it to 3.3V. You can still use them at this low voltage but you can only draw 4 amps a cell before the batterys voltage goes below 2.9V a cell. That of course also explains why you have such a huge voltage sag.

Hey. The point of the video was more for people to hear what the board sounded like which people were asking for on reddit – not to test the app or show a normal ride.

How long of a ride do you want to see and what are you looking for exactly – what is your interest here? At what point does the use WH become “realistic”? I would take longer videos but for some reason the app kills my cellphone battery if I leave it on. That and I really don’t like holding the phone out when I’m riding in the city.

On the voltage to battery % - yes, I know those are all wrong. I was screwing around with some values I saw on a voltage to capacity table online and didn’t fix them for this video.

Another consideration is 16/36 gearing with 97mm wheels which isn’t very efficient with a lot of stopping and going. I’m probably going to get smaller wheels or reduce the gearing.

If you record a video during the entire ride then of course it uses more battery from your cellphone. It’s not that i am after something. I only would like to see my app in action when the board is used normally. Because i implemented and calculated a lot of statistics in the app to get rid of some myths. Especially the average amps that are used on the battery and the motor. For example i made some test about the battery temperature and the Wh consumption on hills at different constant speeds and it is quite interesting. Great would be a video of maybe a mile where you ride the board like you would ride it normally and start at a specific location and come back to that location. This way you can learn a lot about your board. For example do a run at constant speed and next time the same round with full speed. Next time with a lot of accelerating and braking and so on. This way you get a feeling how your ride style has an impact on your range and consumption.

I recommend these battery settings for the app.

1 Like

Ok - got it, you asked me to share a video then told me I did it all wrong so just wanted to know what you had in mind specifically :slight_smile:.

This is all way above my understanding so I’m sure what I’m saying is all half-wrong.

I used your recommended settings at first but they seemed wrong. Chaka was telling me 4.15 should be where it is approximately at full charge and I also saw this in the app after the charger indicated full charge. The charger can trickle each cell up to 4.2v but he doesn’t recommend leaving it on the charger to do that. The initial decline also seemed too shallow. It was dropping to 70% after a very short duration - I waited for voltage to stabilize before taking a reading. The milage remaining was pretty consistent.

I’ll record my morning commute and then my evening commute for science. I’d really like to overlay the data on a gopro video and not have to use the cell to record video. Alternatively I could send you the csv if you’re really interested in the data. Let me know if you want anything else - I’d like to support your good works if I can.

I didn’t say you did it wrong. I was happy to see a video but i wasn’t aware what you wanted to show.

To only charge the cells to 4.15V a cell is absolutely fine. So you get a bit more reacharge cycles out of the cell. And i also don’t want to give other recommendations because i think @chaka thought very well about the settings and the advice’s he gives to his costumers. So i don’t wan’t to argue with his advice’s.

You can get a better video quality by adjusting the video settings in the app. Sadly i have no possibility at the moment to overlay other videos with the data. You can send me the CSV files but videos would be better if you like to create them. Because then the community can learn from them and compare it with other or their own builds.

And sorry for being so critic. I always hope to see a lot of different videos to compare builds and learn from them.

2 Likes

Right, that and to avoid tripping the BMS on hard braking. He said at 4.2v - merely spinning to full rpm and releasing the throttle can be enough regen to push the cells to 4.25v so its something to avoid.

I’ll put something together for you - I really want to help you push your project forward and appreciate all you’ve done.