Ollin FreeRides available for pre-order

Not even close. I DIY build my own boards because there are no boards on the market that meet my needs (torque that can climb just about any hill with speed, 35 mph+ on slight up hills and flat, and at least a 15 mile range riding in the harshest, hilliest conditions the entire time, which will require a 12s6p or more, and 4wd). My last board cost almost 2k to build in parts without my 1.7k cnc machine or all the other tools I needed (which is probably over 3k in tools alone). People do the DIY route for different reasons. For me, it was about building something way better than what’s on the market.

Nobody ever said buying chakas board makes someone a DIY builder.

Um… lets see… Hollow core structure, large enough to fit a 12s6p battery and 2 vescs. Wood core, which looks nicer IMO and has better board feel IMO. It will be the longest range complete ever built, which will have a fair top speed. Have you checked out his tesla style cell level fuses for his battery packs? There’s a lot of innovation here, and if you spent less time bashing others work and more time building your board, you would see all the problems chaka has solved with this board.

2 Likes

you are talking out the side of your neck again.

This board is E P I C. heavier than some, but the range! super stealthy and you cannot get this deck anywhere else to build it yourself (smart marketing IMO). Li Ion batteries in 10s6p! BMS… it’s all the top of the line built by one of the best. WITH 2 year warranty… (that’s unprecedented)

I’m seriously looking if i have an extra stash of $ to get one. And I like building my own…

If it were a small drop deck w/ same features i’d be selling a couple of my own boards to get this! (hint hint @Chaka) - like .75-1" drop would be awesome.

So @cantstopme - you have no clue what you are talking about. Besides being a troll and stirring shit up, where is a single board you’ve built? Just one. Or maybe even just the plans to build one and share w/ the community?

2 Likes

Bigger batteries aren’t just for range, but longevity of the cell itself. A 6P pack leads to lower discharge per cell which equates to less heat and wear on each cell, which, in turn, leads to longer cycle life.

The big ass batteries are all about range as well as cycle life which is also important. You need that range though because no one wants to walk home with a 25 pound board and that’s something that is brought up a lot in my conversations with people. I don’t know precisely how much the free ride weighs, but based on my 48 cell packs on dual drive boards with 9ply wooden decks that use slightly bigger motors, i’m guessing its in the vicinity of 24-26 pounds. 48 cell packs weigh about 5 pounds. I imagine a 60 cell pack or even fully loaded with 72 cells is going to be heavy.

That monster hornet build i just did was 25 pounds. My regular Scarlet builds are about 22.

You clearly have no idea of the challenges of making a hallow core decks. It’s not hard to make one. I made my first hollow core deck 7 months ago, and it took 5 hours total, super easy. The problem? Super thick and no concave. Building a hollow core deck which is slightly thicker than the depth needed to fit electronics is hard. Then there’s the concave issue (if you don’t think you need concave, then you’ve never irdden a no concave board at 35 mph before). If you think there’s no innovation to it, than why isn’t everyone doing it? Innovation is doing something different that adds something to that type of product. The only hollow wooden core decks I’ve seen up and running my latest deck and chaka’s (and soon to be @sl33py’s, which I’m excited to see).

Even if motors might become more efficient, when will this happen? You can’t build a board today on tomorrows technology. Batteries will change in the near future too. We are on the verge of a bunch of break through battery technologies (like lithium air batteries). But we don’t know when they will be available (likely years, if ever).

Wheres your board at? What innovations have you offered to the community?

1 Like

Going back to your original complaint. I want to give you an anecdote. I was riding up west side highway bike path to a meeting and this one gentleman came up to me on a bike when I was waiting on a red light. He started a conversation and proceeded to tell me how an esk8 is sort of a oxymoron because the whole point of skating is kinda like exercise and using an electric motor defeats that purpose. He seems to think I’m doing this for fun and exercise. But the truth is I’m using esk8 as a practical means of commuting in the city. Of course I have fun, but it also makes it possible for me to travel from downtown to Midtown in 20 mins without going through the obstacles of traffic or congested subways.

What that fella said stuck with me because he was a purist, just like you are, a DIY purist. It doesn’t have to be so black and white. I spend thousands on complete boards because I have disposable income and not disposable time. I know it’s crazy to think someone wouldn’t save $$ when it’s cheaper to do DIY, but when I have work 60-80 hours a week, the last thing I want to do is put more work into building a board.

Besides, my way of contributing to the community is by paying for complete boards from @onloop and @longhairedboy. It helps keeps their business in business and the $$ helps to drive innovation.

8 Likes

21.25 pounds to be exact

I love this. Tesla investing in solar power? That’s what native tribes did this when they used the sun to dry berries and then go hiking with food on the go, nothing new.

2 Likes

BTW i ordered some new EL inverters and your foot clamps should be here soon.

My god this build… i think i’m being tested. LOL

1 Like

So true. So deep. So don’t know a thing you are talking about.

Nothing to add - ever. spouts off as an expert and doesn’t know anything esk8 from a hole in the ground…

I recommend you put your “authority behind” something else - maybe something you have a clue about like gardening, or underwater basket weaving.

There is nothing satus quo about Ollin’s board, or the innovative features he’s helped the community with. (his 3d printed 18650 battery holders with individual cell fuses, VESC cooling w/ custom sandwiched aluminum and heatsink, etc.).

Again - how about a build thread of your own. One where you show your expertise, or simply don’t troll other people’s threads?

Seriously how many flags before a troll is banned?

Carbon fiber decks are great if that’s what you’re referring to but it’s worth keeping in mind that they’re also significantly more expensive

It seems any thread specific to a vendor just seems to de-generate and go off topic. I guess its just the esk8 way. LOL

I’m sure Chaka’s decision about using wood was mostly based on improving the beaver population and supporting the Canadian lumberjack’s. Wood is a classic and unparalled material in many sports.

2 Likes

Look forward to your video review of this board. I am guessing from your videos this board may suit you well, high speed being your thing, and it not being a commuting board you need to carry sometimes.

Oh no, we may not be friends… :joy:

speak your mind - cool. Critique and suggest better materials - cool. Knocking anything and everything else folks do here is not being critical and helping them improve - it’s being a troll.

I’ve never seen a single build of your own. And i actually took the time to look to make sure i’m not just being a dick.

Where is this expertise that you claim to have to “elevate” the status quo? It doesn’t exist. That’s cool too. You don’t need to be an expert and suggesting folks use better materials is understandable. But you didn’t come in asking “hey why use wood instead of carbon fiber, or carbon kevlar, or carbon nanotubes…” you just insulted the creator as his work being a “ridiculous piece of wood junk”! who the hell are you? Have you ever tried to make a multi-layer board, let alone one cnc’d hollow? Have you ever made a single esk8. From DIY components or fully made the brackets and components yourself (one of your other rants and critiques how we aren’t DIY buying and assembling our own board)? No. You haven’t.

This is disrepectful of folks that have taken the time to learn how to do this themselves, and coming from a guy who is a newbie and critiques folks that have hundreds of hours building and innovating is ridiculous.

What i wish is we got the nice chat version that started, before you started just critiquing other folks work with no basis or knowledge to contribute at all to the community.

I’m done w/ this conversation. Best of luck building your first air light, flux capacitor powered, hoverboard.

4 Likes

When these boards are delivered be ready to eat some serious crow and cry about your blandwheel china board.

4 Likes

I get that you don’t like the deck but don’t come on here and talk like that. That’s not what this forum is intended for. If u want a carbon fibre deck go buy one and stop bashing OBC. You say u speak your mind, but u need to keep your negative opinions to yourself in this case.

5 Likes

I was shooting for the moon with that idea…but dreaming doesn’t hurt.

I’ll be paying attention to his builds for sure, just to learn and get ideas for a board, if I find the time to machine a deck myself. I considered pre-ordering one, but I prefer hub motors and a shorter deck length.

Thanks for replying!

I was just thinking about this, I think we should probably add a honking system in there too for good measurement. Maybe a siren or something to that effect, that way, people can get out of my way as I roll down the block :sunglasses:

Edit: I’m kidding dude, I’ve given you enough work as it is, I also do not want to end up getting tickets for causing disturbance in the neighborhood :cop:

Less than 2 months till I have this board! Chaka said expect build photos soon. It is still looking like the best non-custom complete board in the market to me. I’m so glad he went with a GT2B remote, I really don’t care about looks of the remote…I just want reliability over anything else.

Has anyone else on this forum besides me and @guyguy pre-ordered this??

Really considering it. Was going to go with a Carbon GT but too many issues. This looks like a great board and a 2-year warranty is pretty cool.

What does the GT2B remote look like?