Ollin FreeRides available for pre-order

@chaka still waiting on this info please!

Except point 3 and 4 everything else was said in the description (maybe he updated it?)

Oops, you are correct! He did update it. I’ll change my post. Just want to know the pulley info now!

Apparently you can even pick your trucks now, caliber, buck, or Paris! This seriously is one of the best ready to ride complete.

The raptor is way lighter and faster with stock pulleys though, but has 1/3 the range. I won’t get into the 63mm vs 50 mm motor debate cuz that’s already been done.

Now if only the decks were on sale :wink:

1 Like

So has anyone pre-ordered this? If someone wanted to buy your raptor would you sell it and get this instead? Trying to decide…

The raptor is about 6-7 lbs lighter, has big beefy dual 6355 motors (more torque!), and I like the deck…its sleek. The VESC settings/throttle/brakes came tuned perfectly for me. Feels nimble under my feet and acceleration is amazing. It’s been working great for me so far and I have no complaints except that the stock wheels are terrible.

The Ollin is a dual diag set up (never used one), the components are higher quality (ex: original flywheels, ceramic bearings), the deck looks very clean, the battery pack is bigger, and the service/warranty is better. I’m glad he is using 90 mm flywheels instead of 83 mm. I don’t know what grip tape the board will use or what the stock gearing is…but apparently he has stated that they can change this for you before shipping if needed. Assuming he will ship in November at the very latest.

Thoughts?? Really on the fence here.

I’ve pre-ordered. The pre-sale lasts until December so there’s still some time.

In addition to liking the specs, the 2 year warranty and aesthetics of the board my rationale for pre-order:

1. His board was truly beta-tested for a year which means his board has a year of refinement and improvements tuned from the tens of thousands of miles his beta-testers put on the board. This is a true version 2 board – it can be hard being a version 1 customer.
  2. U.S. Inventory and Services - As a customer in the U.S. this means reduced repair time and access to replacement parts. A great warranty is much less valuable if a repair takes weeks or months. I think what Enertion has done with their repair infrastructure is commendable, but it’s difficult for them to keep inventory in the U.S. so if you’re getting your board repaired their techs here their techs still have to wait for parts from Australia. Not to mention that consumable parts that will likely be replaced during the life of the board, like the belt, have to be shipped overseas which takes time. Obviously the consideration is different for customers in other regions and I’m sure Enertion is trying to improve its distribution all the time.
  3. Ollin was very responsive and courteous when I emailed him questions.
1 Like

How was the board beta tested for a year? He was just asking for beta testers a couple of months ago, I was supposed to be one of the beta testers but I backed out because at that time it was a very early stage and I would have had to pay full price to get the board still.

@Photorph The first round of beta boards were built over a year ago. The last round was basically a final design to be sure it was user friendly!

1 Like

So he originally released his first hollow-core build in October of 2015. The Flux board. Kudos to him for offering it as a beta test and at a beta test price at that time. I think as time went on he had new versions of the product at varying prices and you may have just been early on as part of a later iteration (this is totally a guess).

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=70981&start=0

1 Like

Thanks for the input, I’ve decided. I will have to pre-order Ollin and get rid of Raptor. Hub motor board from LHB, and belt drive from ollin. I’ll be good then.

1 Like

@chaka will you sell just the decks? I already have the drive system, motors, batteries(40 loose 18650 25R5 cells) and 2 VESCs.

It would be a waste to order everything again.

@mishrasubhransu I emailed chaka about the decks a few days ago, here was the response:

At this time we are only selling completes but we may start selling the decks alone by the end of the year. They are still the most time consuming part of our build but as we grow and bring in more CNC equipment we will be able to bring them to the market for a fair price.

One more thing I forgot to ask though…any chance of a shorter deck in the future :grin:? Maybe around 33-36 inches?

I think he likes his huge battery packs with ridiculous range, so I would guess not.

JUST PRE-ORDERED. Can’t wait, And for anyone else out there who may be wondering, I will be doing a review just like I did with my raptor and LHB board on this. Same format, and with the videos to go along with it. I think I’m done buying boards after this and my hub motor build from LHB.

Edit: Just like @guyguy said chaka is responsive and courteous when I emailed him any questions I had…and he replied fast and answered each question completely.

1 Like

Ha ha! :joy: I’m glad you finally made a decision! I’m sure there were a couple of side-bets on which way you’d go :grin: and, I quite enjoyed reading your arguments for and against each board.

To be honest, I would have decided for the Freeride also. I’m sure both the Raptor, and LHB are both fine boards but I feel the @chaka has taken everything to the next level with the Freeride. Both Enertion and LHB are going to have to lift their game otherwise Ollin is going to run away with the market.

Interesting times!

Enertion has a good board already I think. If they improve their customer service and quality assurance they can still compete. The advantage of raptor for me is it is pretty light weight. It’s also very easy to adjust things like the belt tension and motor mount. My main issue with enertion is just the slow responses and quality control issues.

LHB stands on his own cuz he offers something different, a custom board. And he has excellent service as well. For example you can buy a hub motor board with any hubs of your choice. I think of him as a DIY builder who is just skilled with putting hardware together in a real clean manner. I’m going to get another board from him, a super fast 40 mph hub motor build with an 8 ply deck cut to a shape I like with a 12s pack and 97mm flywheels.

I think with that and my ollin freeride… I’ll be done lol.

You’re talking about the ollin board? Well, I’d like to see you a build a DIY with a deck that has compartments to integrate all electronics, get genuine abec 11 flywheels with ceramic bearings, caliber trucks, get a 10s6p pack, and a gt2b tx, and two of the best VESCs on the market, motor mounts, 2 nice motors, grip tape, etc, risers, etc, along with all the tools and machines required to build all that…and see what your cost is.

And not to mention all the time it will take for you to build it…time is money to me. And some people like me like RIDING more than building.

EDIT: a lightweight carbon deck like the evolve GT? WHich is also the same price and almost the same weight?

7 Likes

Strong reaction … not sure why you’re offended or calling people that buy complete boards jackasses. No one is making you buy the board, why not innovate and make something better instead of poo-pooing on other’s excitement, interest and accomplishment? Believe it or not your tastes and what you spend your money may be different than others as well as your reasons.Believe it or not, those that buy complete boards are supporting the DIY community. You can’t sell affordable components without volume, you can’t get to volume without attracting more customers, you can’t attract more customers without offering completes - a market that is just bigger than the component market - just look at Enertion’s growth once they started offering completes.

7 Likes

I completely understand your sentiment and i even sort of agree with it, and there’s a lot i would love to say here that i can’t, but please tone it down a bit. Your post was flagged but i’m going to let it slide with a warning. Please try to seem less hostile and more helpful in the future. Often that will mean you have to lie to the world about how you really feel. I do that every day in order to maintain a positive atmosphere. Especially here.

5 Likes