OFFICIAL WARNING: Boosted Boards 2.0 Battery Fires

I think it’s a mixed bag as long as fear doesn’t infect the entire industry. As the old saying goes, when there’s blood on the streets buy land. I think onloop developing a new BMS was dead smart and if he can instill trust and talk to its safety features he’ll be able to capitalize on all the issues and distrust there is with Bestech and other BMS vendors.

My theory

I talked to a V2 owner and got some info on the battery charger.

They have a charger supplying 50.4v~ now. It used to be 43.2v around.

The standard battery is using a 12s1p LiFePO4 battery pack. The charge voltage is 43.2v.

If the BMS does not cut the voltage off correctly, the cells will be overcharged and this will lead to damaged cells and venting.

1 Like

Why would they use a higher voltage charger? Is this a fast charging thing?

Higher voltage so you can use the same charger for the 12S LiFePO4 battery and the speculated 12s2p Li-ion pack(higher voltage).

To decrease charging time, you usually increase amperage.

I’ve had no issues with mine yet. What happened to yours? Did it short out?

This thread is getting a bit off topic but here is what happened.

There is an action item for us DIY builders after this announcement; find a non-conducive and fire-retardant compound to coat the inside of our enclosures. Does anyone know what Boosted uses?

1 Like

This isn’t a coating, but this is probably what Boosted uses or something like it.

http://www.rtpcompany.com/products/flame-retardant/

1 Like

Yeah I think you are right. Some plastics are highly flammable as they are petroleum based.

1 Like

Surprised onloop hasnt dropped in a comment yet, but The Space Cell for the Raptor in its carbon fibre enclosure is protected and I havent had any issues with it. Solid and Safe.

Hey, at least they were engineered to vent and not completely explode. Pretty good design on Boosted’s part.

Couldn’t imagine having a cell explode while riding…

Wow… Didnt see that coming?

Called it. Looks like the extended range is significantly higher in voltage compared to the standard range battery.

Since a lot of us se ABS enclosures:

“ABS is flammable when it is exposed to high temperatures, such as a wood fire. It will melt then boil, at which point the vapors burst into intense, hot flames.” from wikipedia entry on ABS

Yikes! :sweat:

What do you think Boosted used as a material for their flame retardant enclosures?

1 Like

They are using fire retardant moldable plastic. The enclosure is made out of it. Prevents a fire from thermal runaway.

tip : wen i see some one wit a note 7 and a boosted board v2 JUST RUN!!!

1 Like

I don’t get how a li-ion cell even vents or blows up, unless they are poorly manufactured. I looked at the spec sheet for the LG HE2 cell, and the test results are outstanding. Charged to 3x the max voltage, no fire or explosion, crushed horizontally and vertically, no fire or explosion. They have a list of 15 or so tests and not a single one cause a fire or explosion… So how does a li-ion cell even do this?

1 Like