Off Road Electric Skateboard

Hey everybody, I am 100% new to everythign about electric skateboards… besides the skating part. I’ve been skating all my life and figured it’s time to dip in to electric skateboards. I want to build a skateboard to take off road and also on pavement. I really like “The Village” build, but I need to mount the motors on the top of the deck… similar to the skateboard that is displayed on the website banner ( with black and red motors). I can’t find that build, but that is what I’m shooting for. I have been reading plenty today abotu all teh different builds on the site and different options. I need a good amount of power for the off road use. I weigh 160, and do have some long but not so steep hills in my area. Other questions that I have been researching is braking. This is a loaded first post for me but I guess I have 3 main questions. What motor/motors, is braking easy to work on, and is there any diagram of how to actually wire a board. I have always worked with gas engines so this will be my first electric motor project. I;ve got a ton to learn but I’m hoping I can absorb some knowledge from this forum.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi we can sell you a parts kit that you can fit to a mountain board check this thread

cheers

I’m located in the US, so I’m not sure what shipping will look like.

Does anybody else have any input on this? I am new to e-boards so I am not sure exactly if a kit is better or if I should buy individually.

Welcome! Everybody starts in basically the same position as you, but it looks like you’ve researched everything you want! over the the course of a day, more people will see your thread and post on it- haha it just takes some time because most of us either are working in some form or another. :wink:

here’s some answers though: braking can be done by the motor through the esc, so I wouldn’t worry too much about that: just make sure the esc you get has brakes (I recommend Torqueboards 12s esc)

You will probably want dual drive for the hills, and to get the performance you’re looking for.

I would read up on these threads too, as they should give you a better idea of how it will all work:

basically you will need: battery (anywhere from a 6s to 12s lipo) two esc’s (torqueboard’s 12s esc is really solid) two motors (torqueboards has some new sensored motors too that would work well for this appliction- basically sensored means better low speed/startup performance) radio and reciever (they come together, and the most commonly used option\ is an rc car remote, but you can also use a wii nunchuk- they just aren’t as reliable as the rc remotes) BEC/UBEC (it changes the high voltage coming from the batteries down to around 5v for your radio receiver to run off of- it’s inexpensive and really small- you can buy one from torqueboard’s with the two esc’s if you end up going with that option) charger (made for rc lipos, can be bought from someplace like hobbyking) two motor mounts chain or pulley system both the last two are up in the air, because there are different options out there. I’ll let other people who built mountain boards chime in to see what they did.

here is a pic of wiring too: in this case it has two lipos (don’t worry about the balancing plugs going together…) and the UBEC should go between the receiver and the battery leads where there is a red connector right now. plus, you don’t even need the switches… alot of people with just disconnect and connect the batteries to charge them, and connecting them turns on their board- a switch can be added though if that is something you want.

(

hope all this helps! :smile:

1 Like

Perfect, that wiring diagram helps out a ton. I can;t wait to hear advice from others. This forum is awesome

It would also help if somebody was able to give me a parts list so I can price out what exactly I’ll need and be able to compare it to a full on kit.

Here is some videos of how to build our motor bracket assembly, if you are buying a kit/parts regardless of where from you will need a board, trucks and wheels to bolt them too. We use Trampa MTB boards they are very similar to MBS mtb Boards. Both are fantastic quality. The main difference is the deck between skateboards and mountainboards as you prob know.

If you are doing any serious off road I would recommend only spring trucks ( need to be matched with 30 degree tips on the deck for sharp turning) , skate trucks are not stable of road and they could break/bend/snap.

2 Likes

That entire kit looks amazing and seems like it is exactly what I need. Problem I run in to is the cost of everything lol… I do have a tight budget at the moment. Any advice on a cheaper board?> or something I can get in the US. How much is the entire kit shipped to the US?

Thanks they are very easy to fit the discounted price including shipping for the full kit would be around a $1000 that’s with a 16 ah battery with a 12 ah it would be $80 usd less.

what’s your budget ?

I can also supply you with just the mechanical drive train parts : 2 x Hypa wheel hubs Only ( These hubs need 8 inch tyres, tyres are not supplied ) or add tyres for another $20 2 x Wheel drive gears 2 x Motor cogs 2 x Motor bracket 2 x Belts
All fitting nuts and bolts included with shipping around $250

cheers

1 Like

I would say the basic mounting kit with tires would be a solid choice.

Then, you can basically get everything that would come in the kit, but for a little less just by buying separately.

Also, do you already have a mountain board, or is that something you’ll need to buy aswell?

What size motors can your motor braket fit?

Hi Locktight, we fit both 50 mm and 63 mm motors to these brackets.

1 Like

50 mm -red and black 63 mm below black motor the brackets are made of steel.

1 Like

@skatehead what kv are your motors? i couldn’t find it on your website.

Hi, see below the 63 mm motor can now also supply with built-in anti-dust mesh.

50mm motor power 1500W 1.8n.m & 63mm Motor power 3500W 4N.M

50mm motor 300kv

63mm motor 280KV

we will have the 63 mm available with pcb and power switches all parts you need, also we can supply the 63 mm with mesh dust covers. cheers

Hi, do you want to buy the motors 63 mm with mesh dust covers ! vital for off road board and pcb ready to go just add battery. ( You would also need a box to put these parts in) cheers