Noob question thread! 😀 ask your questions here!

Guys, I have a noob question. How do you charge a 10s4p diy 18650 Li Ion battery pack with a laptop charger, but without a BMS?

like @whitepony does. get an endcharger, that shuts down at 42V and monitor your cells from time to time, that you won´t miss any celldrifts. This is also only recommended with quality cells

And where do I plug that 42v charger? Since without a bms there won’t be any charging port.

The female plug can be purchased separately and then wired in parallel.

1 Like

parallel to the battery´s plus and minus pol.

If you don´t use a BMS, you should really know what you´re doing! So take care!

I know now, thanks

Anybody knows where I can get a step down regulator/converter(???) from 10s voltage to 12V to supply two LED strips???

1 Like

https://www.amazon.com/DROK-converter-Regulator-Modified-Transformer/dp/B00CGV5NT4/ref=pd_sbs_23_7?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=5GD5KTZR87XWVMTY7G76

1 Like

get a 12V UBEC

@TarzanHBK & @smurf Thanks guys!

Here’s a question. Lets say (somewhat real numbers here but disregard the accuracy - lets keep this theoretical) Im riding a 9s, 245KV with a vesc at 30mph. Hnece ERPM is around 55000, close to the 60000 max but still safe. I then start to ride down a hill, still full throttle. Speed picks up to 40mph.

What now? I this dangerous for the VESC? Is the current draw higher? If using a car ESC instead of a VESC would it have a different effect/ be more/less damaging?

The basic question is: If i’m travelling above the max speed my board can reach itself, would this be a problem?

2 Likes

Okay another question. I have started to configure my two VESCs according to youtube and settings recommended on the forum. Both VESCs were detected successfully and the motor detection was positive. The current firmware version on the VESCs is 4.18. @jacobbloy did update the firmware version straight away in his video and I had the impression this has to be done … or not??? I am a bit :confused:

1 Like

Can you mix discharge ratings in a li ion parallel pack?

Ideally you use new batteries that are the same model and lot number

So I got my Flier model VESC but I noticed that on the capacitor board, the red wire was leading the the negative and black to positive. I’m no electronics expert, but I know that red is usually positive and black is negative/ground. I haven’t powered the VESC yet, but I want to know if the capacitor board is the wrong way around or if it doesn’t matter.

1 Like

Definitely if the capacitor is the wrong way don’t connect the power unless you want to ear and see the capacitor pop.

I would not recommend it. Maybe if you’re mixing a few 10A cells with a few 15A cells and you’re only going to be drawing 5A from each, but I would still avoid it.

So I got myself this charge level indicator (the 48v red one), and I was wondering how to use it. When I connect it directly to the battery, nothing happens.

Could i use this as a battery?

no. max discharge 20A - 40a should be minimum. 60a is better

1 Like