Noob question thread! šŸ˜€ ask your questions here!

Well Ivā€™e heard peopleā€™s wh-per mile has improved with good new bearings. And that easy to understand because you lose less energy to friction and heat.

But ever spacer should be the same size. Speed rings would be different but not needed with zealous. I could see ceramic bearings working well with electric boards because of the heat dissipation. Iā€™m working with a company who makes bearings.

Ok maybe this thread is a safe haven for the following predicament I find myself in:

What I often find: Posts of people mentioning that they fried their Vescs - including Focboxes - especially by setting them up wrong somehow.

What I can not find: A bulletproof step by step tutorial on how exactly to setup/connect two Focboxes for the first time with canbus for dual drive without messing up.

Can someone please help :blush:

2 Likes

lol I think you just connect them with the little cable like the balance one for a 5s battery

1 Like

I have watch the one vesc set up video on YouTube. I canā€™t remember who did the video it is like an hour long but very informative.

The word ā€œbulletproofā€ included in your question means thatā€¦ ā€¦you donā€™t use CANBUS.

Use 2 radio receivers so both VESCs are only connected via the battery wires and via radio waves. Basically so itā€™s impossible to have a ground loop.

If you want to use CANBUS, ā€œbulletproofā€ is definitely not the word I would use.

1 Like

OK thanks for the tips! What I meant was as safe as possible while still using CAN I need to be able to easily tweak some settings via Bluetooth later on so I think my only option is CAN?

1 Like

The same thing applies here, if you used two bluetooth modules it might work, but youā€™d have to connect to each VESC independently. Iā€™ve never tried that though, just an idea.

I donā€™t have any advice for CAN other than make sure you never have a ground loop ā€“ make sure both VESC negative supply lines are soldered together. But I have not used CANBUS to connect themā€¦

If you really want to help the eskate community ā€” making skate bearings better isnā€™t what we need, I donā€™t think. Weā€™ve had decades for that. Itā€™s under $20 and a couple minutes, tops, to change those to new ones. And I donā€™t want proprietary ones that donā€™t fit everything or ones with certain-size spacers already on them. Changing wheel bearings still leaves you with old crusty, corroded motor bearings.

What we REALLY need are kits & instructions for specific motors on how to change the bearings. Like give me a kit for for the TB 6374 motor that has any obscure C-clip tool I need and any consumable part I need and new ceramic bearings so I can change those out.

Are the bearings in motors 608 bears because the company I am working with has the ability to do labyrinth seals and ceramic bearings to true abec rating not the abec ratings that the Chinese companies put on the bearings. And I think labyrinth seals could really help out with them lasting. If I had a trashed motor I could probably figure it out.

1 Like

just bent my c clip, decided to spray paint my canā€¦ can i put it back on after i bent the fuu outta it?

You can probably find c clips online. Look on McMaster Carr

1 Like

found at ace hardware also, thx to the general chat yesturdayā€¦ questionā€¦is their an easy way to test for fualty bms, my charging pigtail melted, and I want to see if the broken series connection i found ended up breaking it :smiley:

Hi everyone, So i got my new samsung 30q 3.6v, when i measure the voltage it says 3.4v for each of them, is it normal for a new battery (1st built nob question :grin:)

I might be wrong so someone else would have to chime in but that would probably be a 80% charge which is a safe storage percentage

1 Like

Ya i was thinking about that 2, i just want to make sure that iā€™m not having a bad cell or etc. 3.4v seems a bit low or normal Iā€™m not sure.

Its a safe voltage for shipping. Probably every cell is precisely charged to the same value worth a 0.02v difference

2 Likes

I have 3 of these in series, i want to replace with 18650 lithium, how do i do it.

1 Like

you throw them out and replace them with something like a 10s4p 30q.

2 Likes

soooo, iā€™v seen this kit on sale, it ads up to 460E with AT wheels, do you think itā€™s worth it? Or Could I build a better rear end for the same amount of money?