Noob question thread! 😀 ask your questions here!

Try a different channel on the receiver.

Ended up getting frozens issue worked out in the live chat was ultimately some sort of mix of a pairing problem with the control and no control mode chosen in the bldc tool.

I am looking to build an electic skateboard for a school project, I’m thinking of using the carvon v2.5 motor but would this be good for 20-25% Hills (I do not want to go fast). If these are good what else will I need?

With the pulley ratio or any sort of gear ratio like that you are trading off speed for torque or vice versa. If all you care about is torque and going fast doesn’t matter then you just want a ratio between the teeth on the motor and teeth on the wheel to be a smaller fraction or larger number of difference in teeth… 10T on the motor and 30T on the wheel means the motor needs to turn 3 times for every full rotation of the wheel (driving pulley moves 10 teeth per turn, need to move 30 teeth of distance to rotate the driven pulley on the wheel), a 10T : 40T ratio means 1:4 or 4 times the turns on the small pulley to turn the big pulley. For that last example you get a 4 times reduction in the speed and a 4 times increase in the torque, instead of moving 1 lb 1 inch you can move 4 lbs 1/4inch and not change the motor. Basic point being if speed isn’t a requirement just go with the highest ratio that seems reasonable and you can find parts for and you’ll get the most push out of the motor for hill climbing. Since you mentioned it’s for a project if you’re doing something remotely controlled you’d want to definitely have more traction than you would have on a regular skateboard, you might also want to consider just using stepper motors instead of RC style high speed motors since the drivers will be cheaper and keeping tight control of the steering with one stepper driving each side will be easier.

Looking for a female charging plug that can charg 42v 5amp. The one I find is rated 30v 5amp. Would that do?

my noob question… When using a li-ion battery pack with a BMS and charging with a laptop-type charger, how does one know when batteries are fully charged without switching the board on and checking the V-meter? :neutral_face: :confused:

On some laptop chargers, there will be a light that when green means fully charged

2 Likes

Hey guys, I’m an aspiring electric skateboard maker with a quick question about what battery I should choose. If anyone has helpful advice about my questions that would be great!!

Recently I have been looking at batteries for my board, I have come across a seller who builds and sells his own batteries with extras. It is a 10s4p battery which is fantastic as it achieves my goal of 40kms/hr and a range of 20ks plus, however it is a bit pricey at $455. It is the one I have linked here http://www.chiboards.com/shop/10s4p-samsung-25r-e-board-pack However I have also come across another battery with a 12s12p configuration that is way cheaper at only $30 but does not include any extras that the other battery does. I have some concerns over whether this battery is to good to be true for the price. This is the battery here https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/43-2v-lithium-ion-battery-pack_60697516856.html?spm=a2700.7735675.30.10.MFUoqI&s=p

With the second battery I do have to buy the BMS, Charger, LCD battery gauge percent display, Anti-spark soft on/off switch that comes with the other battery.

Could anyone give me some advice on which battery I should get, that would be much appreciated.

How to pair the Benchwheel remote? I’ve done it how the instruction said, first powered the vesc then at the same time pushed the white and red button and plugged in the cable, but it beeps two times.

Hi there, i´m about to build my first electric longboard and i was wondering if i could substitute gearing for kv without any drawbacks.

In short and simplified: Would a 100 kv motor with 2:1 gearing yield the same performance (especially uphill) as a 200kv motor with 4:1 gearing?

I´m wondering because sometimes i see same size motors (like the SK3s) with different kv having different power ratings.

In theory they would be the same assuming they have the same power delivered and same efficiency. My guess is in practice since you have a shaft held in place by bearings being rotated at higher speed means more loss due to friction (also mosfets and mosfet driver chips are switching at a higher speed). If you see two motors with the same kv but one has a higher max wattage then it can handle more current and/or volts so it has larger wires for the windings in the stator and larger magnets in most cases (barring better design or build quality and components). Geargenerator.com is a pretty cool page for messing with gear ratios, also a few esk8 calculators out there.

2 Likes

Hi, I am new to the electric long board community and i have just finished my first build but I’m experiencing an issue that I can’t figure out and makes my board scary to ride. First off, here is some of my board facts: vesc with firmware 2.18, (2) 5200 mah 4s 35c lipo in series, 245kv turnigy aerodrive motor, single drive, running on BLDC. The problem that I am having is that after riding for 10 minutes or so the vesc seems to completely freeze up (freezing as in if it is braking the braking will continue). It can freeze while braking, accelerating or at a standstill and the only way to stop/recover control of the board is to power off the vesc and power back on. After it freezes once and is restarted, it will freeze again more frequent than the first 10 mins. I thought it may be due to heat as I have a sealed wooden enclosure, but I had it freeze today after sitting still for about 2 minutes after riding and have thought that the vesc is made to slowly reduce speed not lock it when overheating. This results in a scary ride and I’ve already fallen once due to a runaway board. If anyone has any ideas, I would greatly appreciate feedback as its a blast to ride when it works.

I would like to know the answer to this question as well. I’ve had the same results (only two beeps) when trying to pair the benchwheel remote. Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

The 20ish time, It finally worked, but I didn’t had three beeps. Is it in the bldc tool set to PPM and not disabled?

post some screenshots of your vesc settings pls

I am running 2 6s batteries in parallel. I plan on using a bms to make charging easier but cannot find any schematics for parallel, they’re all for batteries in series. This is my first build. My goal is to charge with 1 plug. Any suggestions or comments?

Look at miamielectricboards.com, @oriol360 has a quick charge port that will work.

I’m not finding what you are suggesting on their website. Could you send the link?

It used to be here http://miamielectricboards.com/shop-1/ez, doesn’t seem to be available any more. I’d PM him.

Or look here…