Noob question thread! 😀 ask your questions here!

The 11th is a NEG, some BMSs use them some don’t.

1 Like

Nice. Got almost everything figured out now. Throwing out the last question here. I got this http://m.ebay.com/itm/5-5-x-2-1mm-10pcs-DC-Power-Supply-Jack-Socket-Female-Panel-Mount-Connector-CHI-/311751738289?txnId=764566242021 charging port. But I can’t figure out which of the pins are positive and negative. Any idea?

One is shorther than the other.

You can decide the polarity for yourself. It should however correspondent with the counterpart. Usually the inside/pin is positive and the outside is negative.

If you already have the male part wired up just plug it in and use your multimeter to check the polarity.

Bought my first multimeter 2h ago. Never used one before today. Could you walk me thru the process?

Yup, make sure you are measuring voltage. Plug in the male port into your DC socket. Then measure both the pins and if it shows a negative in front of the value then the polarity is reversed. (Measuring voltage = measuring in parallel -> positive to one pin and the negative to the other pin)

2 Likes

Perfect! When positive is connected to shorter pin it reads 41.7v and if turned around it reads -41.7 Thank you!

1 Like

Hello, I’m new and don’t know what to change in the BLDC tool. My setup: Vesc 4.12 Turnigy 245kv 6364 3*3S1P 5000mah 30C Turnigy LiPo’s in series Does anyone know, which config. would be best for my setup? Thanks.

Try these values:

Motor max: 60 Motor min: -50 Battery max: 50 Battery min: -5 Battery cutoff start: 35v Battery cutoff end: 33v

Adjust motor detection parameters as necessary

1 Like

What should the battery cutoff be for 10s4p (18650)? Start at 42 end 36?

I use 29/27. 42/36 would not work

Thanks, clearly I don’t understand the setting in bldc. Need to do some reading. Could you check if these settings are alright @Jinra ?

Looks okay, your brakes are kind of weak though, I usually put motor min 10 amps below motor max (in negative), so maybe​ -50A for you. If you’re using 18650’s they typically have a max charge current of 4A or less. Since you have 4P you should go no higher than -16 battery min

3 Likes

Awesome. Thanks!

Had a question about BMS wiring. I’ve actually already built a board but just now getting into BMS charging. This is what I’m trying to do. 8s2p battery with this BMS. I’m thinking that this is not possible because then all the cells are not monitored, only pairs of cells. This means that one cell, in the pair, could be very low and the other high and equal a normal voltage. Would this ever happen? Also is all of the wiring corrrect?

It is possible, but potentially dangerous and not recommended

Alright. Thank you!

I have a 10s pack made with x10 2s lipos build just like that, works fine, balances correctly, and 300a constant. I essentially made x2 10s1p packs from x5 2s lipos each and then put them in parallel.

2 Likes

Wow that is an impressive diagram I will check it out. Also thanks for the reassuring info, as I bought everything about a week ago thinking I had a solution and then I thought of this potential problem.

1 Like

Its hard to diagram that many balance wires, its the best I could do :). I got help from @namasaki, you may want to diagram your pack and get him to proof it for you.

I finished configuring my VESC after watching jacobbloy’s video covering everything, and was able to pair my GT2B radio controller, however, when i give the controller input i get no response from the motor. I believe that I paired successfully according the the light indicators after following instruction in the manual. Any Ideas what I could be missing?