Noob question thread! šŸ˜€ ask your questions here!

Hey Everyone, I was taking a look at the torque boards 6355 190kv motors they have for sale for $90 USD.

1. What are your thoughts on these?
  2. What would be a good recommendation for pulley teeth combo?

I want to do the 18650 flat pack from enertion to power this setup (10S3P). I have some hills around where I live and I think I would like to do something around 25mph/40kmh. (I weigh 180 lbs / 81 kgs)

1 Like

A lot of people including myself run these motors. Iā€™m totally happy with it. I donā€™t exactly baby mine and I have > 200 miles on mine so far with no issues.

Your standard 16/36 tooth motor and wheel pulleys are great with these and should hit your goals.

2 Likes

what about speed controller here? I always hear about VESCā€™s and ā€œsensored motorsā€, what can you tell me about this and maybe a recommendation?

other thing I was going to ask is that I really love the look of the Kegel wheels with the following wheel pulley (because it does not have the bolts all the way through) however it is a 32T. What would you recommend in this case for the motor pulley -

https://evolveskateboardsusa.com/collections/gen2-bamboo-bustin-series/products/kegel-drive-gear

Yeah VESC is pretty much industry standard at this point. Itā€™s open source and endlessly tweakable, but also runs great out of the box (after doing some basic setup). Sensored motors give you the smoothest start up from a stop where sensorless motors can get confused and judder a bit at first. Iā€™ve rode both and itā€™s not a huge difference, but sensored motors are nice. That motor + VESC will do real nicely.

Sorry, I donā€™t have much experience with different pulleys and such. I can tell you that that motor on 12s with 16/36 on 90mm wheels will do 30 mph and the same setup on 16/32 would be more like 26 mph but beyond that I canā€™t really say.

Can I use the motor sensors and a bluetooth module to see real time data to my iPhone at the same time or do they use the same port on the VESC X?

Yes. They are not the same port.

ok so the sensor wire goes into the UART and the bluetooth module goes into the third free port (obviously not the one for receiver)

No, bluetooth goes into UART and motor sensor wire goes into ā€œoptional hall-sensors or pulse encoderā€. (Receier goes into PPM-signal in this image)

2 Likes

Hi! I have a very simple question guys :). Is building an electric mountainboard worth it? I meanā€¦ Is riding it satisfactory? I am serious ;D. Do you think youā€™ve spent money rightly? Thanks for replies!

*sorry for my ā€œenglish fluenceā€ :smiley:

I donā€™t even know how to answer thatā€¦ There are hundreds of people on this forum, millions of posts, at least 1000 completed builds documented. I donā€™t think any of this would exist if it wasnā€™t ā€œworth itā€.

1 Like

What belt size to use at 40t/15t gearing?

265-5M-15 for single motor, 265-5M-12 or 265-5M-9 for dual motor.

1 Like

I need some help. Iā€™m trying to set up my motor mount at a certain length for my belt to have the right tension, but canā€™t figure out how to do it without having it end up ā€œshorteningā€ while riding (resulting in the belt slipping off). How do I set this up:

I might just be being stupid. (this is an alien power systems mount, in hindsight I think enertionā€™s design would have been better)

Mount the truxk clamp tight, mount the motor mount tight, mount the motor loose. Then pull the motor as far out you can while pushing down the belt 3/8s of an inch (make a tiny dot with a sharpy) the tighten the motor mount screws.

When you have everything set up properly put some threadlocker on every bolt/screw so they donā€™t come loose due to vibrations. You can use loctite blue or similar.

Ackmaniac - you obviously know about the battery cutoff start and end settings. I am knew to this and have a 7s and saw online that start should be 3.5v x7 and end should be 3.2v or 3.2v x7. Does that sound right to you?

What does it mean if a Vesc doesnā€™t give the 3 red initialization flashes but still connects to the computer? I can change settings like usual but motor detection fails and the motor doesnā€™t respond to inputs. I can see the signal on the computer and the green light though. Iā€™ve inspected the board and nothing is fried.

Noob question : why my little power bank is 30000 mah and my 10S3P is 7500 mah ? While being much bigger

a battery can have huge capacity in trade for low discharge or low capacity therefore high discharge, or a mix of both. A powerbank needs high capacity and only really low discharge. So you might have 8 cells in parallel to get the 30ah. In your board you have more cells in series to get the 10s (36V) and only 3 in parallel. 2500mah x 3 = 7500mah.