Noob question thread! 😀 ask your questions here!

Hey,

yesterday I’ve ordered my first VESC :)! However my current setup is 6s2p with an SK3 50mm 320KV motor. I was wondering if changeing to a lower KV motor (SK3 5055 280KV) would make the setup a bit more VESC friendly or would just be throwing away 50eur for nothing? I know preferably I’d also go with a bigger battery like 8s or 10s but I’d first like to work with what I have. Any insight woud be greatly appreciated thanks!

320kv is okay for the VESC if you stick with 6s forever. If you can get even lower than 280kv it would probably be better, especially if you’re going to change your battery in the future. If you’re looking at 10s, I’d go all the way to around 180kv

3 Likes

I am in the process of building my own electric longboard. As I live in Norway it is problematic to get alot of the parts. If I’m ordering from the UK or something like that, the shipping is too expensive. I am getting alot of the parts from Asia with free shipping. My question is wether or not this motor: http://tinyurl.com/j8utyp7 would be a reliable option. I am using it together with the Flycolor 150A ESC for RC boats. Will there be any problems here, and what battery setup should I go for?

Getting from Asia isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but you have to be really careful about quality. It’s definitely a false sense of saving money as you’ll get something, it will likely break, and you’ll have to replace it costing even more.

With that said, I don’t see any obvious issues with that motor, but I would encourage you to try and find a European reseller of a proven motor. I don’t know much about the resellers over there, but you can start here: http://eu.electric-skateboard.market/

I would caution you away from that ESC. The VESC is the favorite here because it’s extremely robust and can handle what we’re doing with them. There’s a few car ESCs that have been used without many issues, but I would not recommend any boat ESC.

1 Like

So I have my batteries set up in series, I got a light up push button, a battery percentage reader, waiting on my vescs and hubs. Is there a diagram of some sort to see which order all these parts go in?

Take a look at this thread, I’m sure you will find one you like.

1 Like

That’s awesome. Thanks

No worries. If you don’t find what your looking for let us know. I’m sure someone can throw a diagram together.

1 Like

I’m looking for a 10S bms. Should I go for one with separate charge/discharge ports or just one? Pros and cons?

I have a charger I use for my quadcopter lipos, i206b with an external PSU. It is rated for up to 6s and 20amps. If I wire two 5s (21v) 5000mah lipo batteries in series to give me 10s (42v) and 10000mah, can I make a charge port on the board to charge the batteries using my balance board as they were a single 5s?

What is the difference between caliber 1 and caliber 2 trucks ?

Would this work for 2 6s 20c 3000mah batteries in series? https://m.aliexpress.com/s/item/1930212978.html?trace=storeDetail2msiteDetail&spm=2114.12010612.0.0.APaWDC#autostay

So you want 12s @Sapphirinia?

Yes enough characters

Lol looks a little over kill

You might wanna do a search here for BMS … couple of threads and group buys…might wanna just compare it with what you are looking at

I read somewhere on here that 80amps was the sweet spot

Yeah…Bms is rated for use up to 84v I think hey extra room I guess

Is regen critical in a dual 270kv motor longboard setup. I plan on cruising around 20mph on really flat pavement. The esc I am getting does not do regen. Is regen breaking that important?

I have ridden llonboards before but never an electric powered one. I might upgrade to pnuematic wheels and hand brake for more of a mountain board build

What is the relationship between motor size and Kv rating? Like would a 140Kv motor that is 6355 have less torque than a 140Kv motor that is 6374?

The short answer is Yes, the long answer is that the 6374 is more efficient so uses the available Volts & Amps with less waste and less heat giving you a better running motor and therefore more torque, and product life, in the long run.