New vesc user? Read This - COMPLETE WALKTROUGH OF THE VESC

All focboxs have been powered on and tested. That’s just part of their process.

1 Like

Hi people. I used VESC from diyelectricskateboard.

VESC BLDC ELECTRIC SKATEBOARD ESC FEATURES Built in 5V BEC (Used to power your receiver.) Voltage: 8V to 60V (Up to 14S LiPo Voltage)

This is realy 14s LiPo?? What safety voltage Li-Po can I use to not fry VESC with used motor 192kv-12s?

None of the software from the enertion web app is open-source.

For 192kv safe is 10s 12s gets critical and could cause drv errors with this motor with a standard 4.12.

12s with a standard vesc is as high as you should go, 13s is possible, but should only be used if you really know what you´re doing, have all settings in the right place and know how to properly cool everything.

14s will pop, as soon as you have the first voltage spike with a little bit of braking for example.

If you´re new to Vescs, you should go the safe 10s spot to save your components.

Ok. Then this motor will not work fully efficiently? Can be used 245kv-10s motor with 10s Li-Po?

Yes. I’m new in VESC. I’m in the process of studying.))

when I brake, does the voltage rises?

Here you´ll find the matching motors to cellnumbers:

And yes, during regenerative braking, the voltage rises above battery level, so you have to make sure your components are rated high enough and have a bit of play to handle these spikes

I read it. there are many contradictions. this is confusing :joy::joy::joy::joy:

Just get a 10s with 190kv motor and you´ll be fine :wink: Also take your time to read through some of the buildsthreads and you´ll find out what other people are running.

1 Like

Great post! thanks

I’d like to add some more info to the Windows configuration and setup details:

Here’s a public link to the BLDC tool for Windows: link Here’s a public link to software containing the necessary drivers: link

Install both of the above applications. The Teensyduo program is actually an arduino-based tool (which isnt really necessary) but it contains the right drivers necessary for the BLDC tool to be recognized as a COM port via USB.

Once both applications are installed, power up your VESC (via battery or power source) and plug it in using a mini USB which can carry data (like this one on Amazon, $5). I struggled with three different mini USB cables for a while trying to understand why computer wouldnt recognize the VESC or COM port, and it was because I was using old, generic mini USB cables that I had from previous devices which only carried a charge and couldnt handle data transfer. If you’re using the right cable, when the VESC is plugged in and powered on you should see a new COM connection in device manager:

The STMicroelectronics Virtual COM Port is the VESC. You need to note the (COM#) at the end of the title because that is the COM port you will use to connect to through the BLDC tool.

Now that your VESC is recognized by Windows as a virtual COM port, all you need to do is go into the BLDC tool and select the COM port identified above and you should be able to connect!

You can also change the COM ports for the virtual COM in the Device Manager if there is a conflict or if you just want to:

Right click COM port in Device Manager -> Port Settings -> Advanced -> COM Port Number -> Change to whatever you want

I hope this helps someone else!

2 Likes

Hi all,

I have a real problem with my brandnew VESC 6.4. It shuts down after connecting to VESC Tool over USB. It establishes a connection and displays its firmware in green at the bottom right corner, but then it kinda shuts down a few seconds later. The LEDs turn off completely, and only by powering it on and off come back to live.

Any ideas how to solve this? I tried with 0.92, 0.94 and on two computers, MAC and PC.

I´m sure @trampa helps you out with it, i don´t know what should cause that if you don´t have any trouble with your power supply

My power supply is set to 30V and maximum 3A. I am in contact with them. I hoped there would be an easy solution instead of sending it back.

If it behaves strange like that, it´s better to get it checked by them.

Try a battery please. A 3S Lipo would be good.

Frank

Hey, I tried. Same thing. I took a video. First with and then without USB.

Try a simple setup, batteries directly to VESC, only a fuse in between.

Thats what it is. There is only a fuse between the batteries and the VESC and the giant relay. The Arduino, Buttons and Display are only there to control the Relay.

I also tried connecting the power supply straight to the short cables on the VESC last night without any other electronics attached. I got the same result. The bench power supply can output up to 32V at 5 A, but it doesn’t even come close to that current.

Can you check the 5v rail

1 Like

How? I don’t feel like opening up the case for fear of breaking the heat sink connection.