[Introductions] New member? Introduce yourself and share your DIY plans

Hi all,

New here, just starting my build. Through my work, I have access to 16S (A123 26650) Lifepo4 battery packs and have wired one to this “Smart BMS” that reports via Bluetooth. We have purchased the VESC controller as our pack fully charged is 58.5V which leads me to my main question; Our plan is a single motor belt driven setup, will most motors be able to handle the higher voltage? I notice most here use 12 cells max.

If only few people do something that doesnt make it a good thing, when it comes to building. It’s not like it’s a style choice.

Oh I just wanted to see what the cheaper end of the spectrum is like. I see the great use of VESCs but the price makes it unapproachable for newer people like me. Furthermore, I have not found any good reviews about the esc. So I want to see what it is like. (Note: I will eventually upgrade to a vesc when I plan out the perfect board.)

Bumping this. Anybody?

Hi Everyone,

My name is Hoyt. I came here after doing research on purchasing an electric skateboard as an alternate means of transportation while my car is being repaired. My research led me to purchase a Backfire G2 and it will be here next Wednesday. That said, I’m really excited. I am also interested in DIYing my own moutnain board at some point as well and wanted to learn as much as I can about the topic before I begin that process.

Cheers, Hoyt

1 Like

Hello good people of esk8, I’m joining as i’m starting my first build. Past two years been splitting my time between riding a boosted d2 on the streets of nyc and an unpowered surf skate just mucking about. I really dig the deep tight turns and general maneuverability of the surf skate and I want to add a motor to it. The idea is to make a light, fun, low powered ride for carving and cruising around the neighborhood. The loose carver trucks make it unsuitable for high speeds anyway, and the power needs to be smooth as possible, so i’m thinking single hub motor build with a 30" kicktail deck. The focus is smooth power delivery and minimal weight. This video is basically the ride I want. Figure I can build it for less then a third of the mellow drive they use.

Can anyone provide a parts list that’s current and available for sale? Many thanks to all the contributors.

2 Likes

Hi all, I’m Seb from Perth, Western Australia. I’m not sure how many people still follow this thread, but I thought it was about time I introduced myself.

I’ve skated for a good part of my life and esk8 was probably just a natural progression.

I followed evolve for several years and when the GTX came out I went into the shop to buy one and walked out with a Boosted Board.

I’ve done around 800km (500 miles), and now the extended battery is here I ride 30km (19 miles) a day to and from work. I find the boosted really stable at top speed, but the top speed slow. My sports tracking apps have my average over the 9.5 mile one way trip as 32kmph (20 miles per hour). So, for the majority of the journey I am just riding flat out. I love going fast, regardless of whether it be on a skateboard, longboard, snowboard, dirt bike etc…

I am more mechanically minded than electronically minded, so I read for about 10 hours before creating and account, and now a further 8 hours before making my first post. If I had known that there was such a big DIY community and good product base, I am pretty confident that I wouldn’t have bought a Boosted, and just made my own.

However, I want to keep the boosted for international travel. I’m off to Canada in June/July and looking forward to taking the board!

I love aesthetics, and really enjoyed the enclosures thread from @eboosted and the Master Evo build threat from @Deckoz.

So the plan… The specifications I want for my DIY board would be: Range of 32km (20miles) Top Speed of 50kmph (31mph)

I have a lot of old decks laying around, and I nice solid sector 9 bamboo board with no flex that could be perfect. Otherwise, I’ll be looking into getting something new.

I like my orange orangatang Kegels, so was thinking of keeping with the small wheel theme and getting some Purple Kegel 83s. So with that in mind.

Dual 6374’s 190KV (still deciding on brand, open to suggestions – obviously been looking at @Torqueboards and @Jlabs) 2X FOCBOX @Eboosted 12S Universal Enclosure 12s4p batteries (Need to stop reading about 13s) (Have a friend that will be making the pack)

Purple orangatang Kegels 83mm Motor Pulley 16 Wheel Pulley 36 15mm belts

I really like @longhairedboy motor mounts, but they won’t fit the Dual 6374s (Greatly appreciated the info Damon provided)

There will be a lot more research before I start buying parts, but that’s where I am at.

Thanks! Seb.

4 Likes

Hello, I’m Tom from South Africa.

I did quite a bit of skating when I was younger but I want to build an ESK8 Board now.

The plan: Range of 10-20KM Top speed of 35kmph

I have a deck here, its a deck from my old Yuneec E-Go board and the battery is dead and wont come back to life.

I would like to have a build with Dual HUB wheel setup instead of having the motor on the outside.

It would be amazing if you guys could send me a recommended part list for building a board with a budget of about 600USD

I’m going to do more research but would really appreciate your guys’ help.

Thanks! Tom

Hi Hi! So I’m new to Esk8 in general. I’ve long boarded but it was never really a daily thing for me. I’ve been looking for an activity that will get me out doors this summer and building an Esk8 longboard just seems fun.

So I want my build to take into account that I’m 6’4 340lbs. I want to do a dual motor setup but have em off set like on the metroboard stealth. I want the price range under $1000.

So far I’ve priced out some things and know what I want but I got to the point where I need to get electronics and now I’m lost.lol. So far in my build

Longboard deck = $69 https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00I4KKPVM/ref=ox_sc_act_image_2?smid=A1SOLJCI3089N9&psc=1

Just one off amazon that I like the shape of

Trucks = $92 http://avenuetrucks.com/longboard-truck/

I’ve read these need to be filed to fit the motor mounts

Wheels = $25.99 https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01IBJ5ZFQ/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A2DQMI7AS28KLN&psc=1

Comes with bearings and seems to be the correct flywheel type

Motors = $167

I really want the 192kv motor but they seem to be sold out/ on back order

Motor mounts = $120

collections/electric-skateboard-motor-mounts/products/63mm-reverse-motor-mount-set

These say 63mm and look like the brand I’ve seen mounted to those suspension trucks.

And that is where my parts list ends for now. Still doing more research on what drivetrain and electronics I want. But I do know I want to parallel my batteries for taking higher amps.

Hi Hi!

1 Like

Im 15, and i ride a 30" skateboard many times daily, but my ankles are wrecked and there aren’t many nice pavements, so I have to work very hard to keep at a decent speed. I’m going to buy a cheapo 1 hub motor board for around £90, and a pintail deck, then somehow try to implant the electronics into the deck of the pintail. I only want to cruise at 10-12mph so power isn’t an issue. I might add another 6s in parallel to the battery or increase the voltage for more power or range.

Hey guys new member here and even though this is a electric skateboarding forum I am mostly here to learn about the technology used on e-boards and attempt to adapt it into a new and probably dangerous form of transport. I welcome any and all help that ya’ll can give me.

1 Like

New member from Spain here. I am skibuilder that I don’t know anything about skate but I am curious about it. So I’ve decided to made my custom fiberglass/carbon/wood deck similar to a snowboard. It’s almost finished just to trim and paint. Now I’m learning about the parts and starting to purchasing them… Hope to finish it in a couple of month

1 Like

Hi Everyone!

got my first board a couple of weeks ago and I’ve been modifying it ever since. I’m planning to use it commuting from home to work! I’d like to show you my board if you are interested!

Hey! My name is George! I saw an add for building esk8 in January and have been addicted ever since. I’m finally about to pull the trigger on parts though. My build: -Dual belt ESC (diyeboards) -10SP battery (diyeboards) -scsk8 drop down deck (amazon) -N6354 180kv motors (diyeboards) -97mm green flywheel clones (eBay) -250-5M HTD5 12mm Belts (diyeboards) -Motor Pulley (diyeboards.com) -lipped bearings (diyeboards)??* -3D printing wheel pulley (80% infill) -DIY motor mounts using brackets -Using trucks that come with deck PLEASE if you have any suggestions I would LOVE to hear them or if I’m missing anything peices. I should add that I have the ability to buy two Tacoma bigfoot 245kv 6364 (I think) (https://www.hobbypartz.com/96m608-bigfoot160-5335-245kv.html) online from someone on Reddit but the shafts we’re totally round and that confused me honestly bc I wasn’t sure what pulley I could use. I am making this on a budget so please keep this in mind. It’s main use will be on campus and I’m not looking to go fast. I’m not super happy about the ESC (almost just bought a Wowgo 2s bc of it) and I’m not 100% sure the lipped bearings will work b/c it says on their website something like “bearings for our drive wheel pulley.” I don’t love that I’m buying most of my stuff from dieyboards but it’s currently my most cost efficient option. Thanks!! Happy to be a part of the community!!

Hi everyone. I’ve been riding a Riptide for a couple months now. Loving it.

For my first build - I would like to add a custom motor mount and setup to my Hamboard Pescadito. Trying to figure out the best way to do a custom motor mount on a low budget.

Hey, forum, I’m fed up with the hills for which the place I live is so famous, and I want to start gliding up them with a folding electric board I can fit in my backpack. My plan so far: MBoards dual belt drive/trucks/wheels/mounts and accompanying ESC 2X Turnigy 5S 5Ah packs in series BoardUp Folding Longboard Deck 3D printed enclosure Still working on picking a BMS and charger

Happy to join the community!

2 Likes

New here. Into driving and flying cool stuff, why not an eSk8 too!

Since it’s summer I decided to purchase the GTX and then start my build over the winter after I figure out all the things I want in a board.

I’m new here, got into esk8 for commuter use. Got an Yuneec EGO2, but stopped working and they won’t cover it under warranty.

I need to figure out if I want to repair, rebuild or replace it. Or just use a bike.

New to the forum and kinda new to Esk8ing. looking to build a custom board for around one thousand big ones. happy esk8ing everyone!

2 Likes

Im an engineer and Ive been building E-scooters, motorbikes and Ebikes for about 15 years and skating for over 25 years. Ive built a few boards waaaay back in the day with heavy lead batteries. After winning a nice longboard at a charity auction I thought i’d tackle a new winter project. I love personal transportation that doesnt involve a combustion engine! Im using Evolve GT trucks, wheels and motor mounts on a single kick longboard (39inch). I’ll be using the high discharge A123 prismatic cells from my trials bike in an 8s configuration, that i can re-configure into 12s if i choose later on. I live in a pretty hilly area so I will be using dual 6354 motors in a fairly low KV. Ive started 3d printing my enclosures and once ive got a few bits finished off, ill start a build thread.

3 Likes