[Introductions] New member? Introduce yourself and share your DIY plans

Hello, I forgot to introduce myself after my registration and my first post … sorry. My name is Manu I live in France, I’m 40 years old and I’m on my 2nd build The first hulk board:

and now the FORAKER: I am active suir Esk8.fr and now among you. Thank you Good ride

3 Likes

Hello,

I’m Joe, machinist from SoCal USA. I have been recently evaluating my expenses and am not happy with the fact that my commute to work is my 3rd largest expense.

For a normal work week, I’m spending ~$830/month on just gas and tolls. My insurance company has informed me that the reason my rates have increased by a factor of 4.3, is that between May 2015 and May 2016, I exceeded 50K miles. This also explains why I have been killing cars.

I am 9.1 miles away from my preferred Metrolink train station and my place of business is 1.3 miles from the station. I am no longer working excessive overtime and the train is again a viable option. I have been skating an old school Sword and Skull twin-tip for at least the last leg of my commute. Unfortunately, 45 years of skating some serious long-distance mileage has taken its toll on my body.

I have seen various motorized skateboards before but never seriously considered one until I saw a banner for Boosted, while lurking the Mustang forums.

My immediate plans are to purchase a production board for the mean time. Something with enough power to handle lugging my 240lbs up the gradual hills and can get me out of trouble while riding in the entitled OC traffic. However, I feel I need to start on a board with more forgiving braking and acceleration as I have never ridden motorized skateboards and I don’t really know what to expect.

Of course the hot rodder in me will never be satisfied and always want to build and modify.

I look forward to growing and learning with your community.

Cheers,

Joe

9 Likes

:notes:Started with a liftboard now I’m here​:notes:

1 Like

Hey I have had a pre built board for a bit. I am about to build my own. I have done a far amount of research so far. I would love some real world experiance and input any and all is welcome. I will outline what I think I have narrowed it down to. I want a decently fast and powerful board nothing record breaking but sold. Motor wise single motor 6374, been looking at torque board and maytech as possible options? battery 10s2p or 12s2p possibly 3p 4 p seems like alot of batteries and although range is important 15 miles plus would be great. VESC for the speed controller. is there a difference between all the different people selling VESCS? these are the most important areas I would like input in the deck wheels and such seem to come down to preference. So if you have any suggestions or input i.e. best place to buy batteries oh 25r or 30 Samsung batteries?

I’d like to take the beginner route first & transfer things that work okay onto something that works much better for me. An upgrade if you will. I wasn’t quite sure about this whole e-skating thing & if it would work for me; so I bought the beginners intro into the sport = yes, I bought a Chinese Board. I thought after doing so, I would find out if it was worth further investment. I’m not really good with electronics/wood working but really want to learn :man_student: (*like most of us here I’m sure).

How does one go about upgrading the esc/VESC of a board? :mage: Is it easy to do? I can’t seem to find a definite answer after lots of seeking on the site (great site this is!). I’d love to buy the focbox but don’t think my re-build would be worth the cash. Is there an alternative VESC someone may recommend? (Specs for my current board are listed below)

The motors are hub motors & I want to put some Sidewinder Trucks on the board (like the Evolve) :star_struck: https://www.gullwingtruckco.com/10-gw-sidewinder2-1-orange.aspx for great handling but can’t because the Koowheel trucks have notches that fit on the hub motors… :disappointed_relieved: Would this be something that can be done? Do I need a special drill/tool to do so?

Another idea that I can’t figure out is how to get the battery / esc to be separated with a set of wires instead of a direct plug in style.

I want/need a stiffer deck as the esc/battery setup is supposed to be rigid & I weigh too much so the board flexes & might cause disconnect issue in the future.

So, any ideas would be great help & if you’re in the San Francisco area, lets get together & skate or build.

Blockquote Another idea that I can’t figure out is how to get the battery / esc to be separated with a set of wires instead of a direct plug in style. Otherwise I need a stiffer deck as the esc/battery setup is supposed to be rigid & I weigh too much so the board flexes & might cause disconnect issue in the future.

1 Like

Blockquote eskate

Hey nice setup; what’s that foot holder thing called (I know it’s skyhooks but what model do you have)? Does yours work well & why only 1 (usually I see 2)?

I like the bumper in the front - had a longboard split the front wood once when I bailed & it hit a curb head on.

1 Like

It’s the Freebord S2 binding, only need it in front cause that’s the foot I need to stay attached to the deck :yum:, on a trampa or other mtb deck I would use 2 cause the stance is different, your weight is more evenly split

Makes for a great handle too :wink:

1 Like

Nice, thanks for the quick reply. :slight_smile: I like the handle idea too!

Hello. I’m from norway, and i am planning to build my own electric skateboard during the rest of this winter. I have a longboard and are looking to buy cheap parts from ebay/china to see if i can make an electric skateboard. Is it okay to tell what i plan to use of parts here and get input, or should i start a new thread when i am able to do that. :thinking:

The title says “introduce your plan”, tell us how you want to transform your long-board brotha :no_mouth: Esk8 is an expensive hobby, prepare your wallet for budget burns. :fire:

So im planning to use the Ebay(dickyho) esc, ebay 270kv motor, 16/48 3m belt kit, 2x 3s 5ah from hobbyking, 83mm wheels. Is this a good idea? :thinking: planning on upgrading as things break and make it better later if i can make it works.

I would recommend getting a high 100kv motor (170~190kv) so you can upgrade to 12s. I would also use a Vesc if I want to eventually upgrade. Why buy cheap components if they eventually break? :grin:

Okai. I’ve just read that the Vesc easy can burn on 6s. Or how do i avoid that?

Where do you find that? Vesc seems to be optimal for 10s though. There is no absolute way to prevent vesc from frying. Vesc 6 seems to be fail-proof, for now. :smirk:

I’ve been reading here on the forum. Maybe its just that you have to be careful. Is it because of amp draw on 6s? It seems erpm limit is not the problem on 6s.

I’m from the UK, 15, and want a proper stealthy look so I don’t attract attention. I’m probably going to use HG2 cells and a simple ESC and some basic dual hub motors from China. I might try to make the components fit into the deck or experiment with a VESC to use an app on my phone to check stats, but I have a tight budget of £200 or slightly more so this is unlikely. Opinions? Thanks.

Hi there,

I’m planning on upgrading my prebuilt Bamboo Series One from a single motor setup to a dual motor setup. Just had a few questions on battery voltages and whether or not my skateboard’s brains will be able to handle two 200kv motors.

Hi there, new guy here.

I have owned a magneto for a year now (first gen). It never broke to my surprise until now. The battery has died in some weird way. probably the bms is faulty. I decided it’s time for an upgrade.

got myself a VESC and 2x 3700mAh 6S zippy compact wich i am going to run in parallel. I only have 1 problem. I don’t want to use a bms again and i already have a 50W 6s charger.

I don’t want to charge the battery’s in parallel so i came up with this schematic. anyone that can confirm this is going to work without blowing up? Schematic

I can select wich battery i want to charge with the 2 switches. It is save to switch as long as the loop key is not inserted because there is no power flow. I’m just worried about the negative leads that are in connection with each other.

Hi! I’ve got some doubts about what you said. why the 170~190 kv would be better? it would have a longer range than a 270 kv? but, even if the bigger range the 170~190kv would have a smaller top speed, right? sorry for the lots of questions!