[Introductions] New member? Introduce yourself and share your DIY plans

Hi, I’m a new member, and my project it to upgrade the battery on a koolwheel, I already build a 10s 4p, but I have anough batteries to build a 12s 4p but I don’t know if the koolwheel motherboard and motors will take it.

please don’t use only one of those 10s2p packs, you wont have enough power to move yourself. Each oone of those packs is capped at about 8a cont. and ive seen my motor pull more amps than that on the bench.

I currently use three of those packs in parallel for 10s6p, 30a cont, 13.2ah

1 Like

Thanks @GrecoMan. I really want to build my own pack with better cells etc. but I saw the thread and was wondering if 10s2p would move me at all. I thought this puts out 20,amps continuous? The Meepo Board uses a very similar pack https://meepoboard.com/products/battery-10s2p-36v-4-4ah-samsung-18650-5c. I’m tempted to buy another at $35 but I’m spending more money away from my desire to make my own pack. Oh well.

each pack is limited to 10a continuous but the BMS’s aren’t great so running at max continuous will heat them up and probably blow them up. I personally LOVE my 10s6p. i can get like 25 miles out of it

1 Like

Hey, i’m new to this stuff. Due to regulations, it’s a problem for me to ship an assembled esk8 (I’m from Israel), So i’m trying to get the parts and build it myself. I’ve researched, but I come for your help today. I need recommendations to buy - a parts list or something like that. I’m looking for something on the low end, that will get me to and from work. Nothing fancy. I’m not afraid to build myself, buy that’s not the priority, so if there is any ‘conversion kit’ worthwhile I won’t have a problem buying it. I have found several builds and offers, but I wanted to ask for a full part list, including all the tools or small things you might assume I have, because I probably don’t have it :wink: Also, I need to find sources that ship to Israel (I saw mboard and ships to me. Amazon is more problematic and probably not an option) Thank you so much for your help.

Hello everyone. Just getting into eSk8, going to start a build soon. This is a nice fit for me since my last business was making high powered electronic cigarette mods. I dropped the company since FDA regulations are a pain, and some personal reasons. But, very similar projects to what I was doing. Also this will get me out of the house more as well.

Hi! I’m Kasra. I want to buy a prebuilt (ideally) or find a way to build my own skateboard for going around campus. The place I live in is quite hilly, so I need it to go up 20% inclines, but I don’t really need a very impressive range. So 5-7 miles should be fine. It’d be nice if you could push it.

Whats up guys!

My names Kuan, Im a 19 year old studying engineering at the University of Auckland (New Zealand). Skating, surfing, and snowboarding are my bread and butter so when I started reading about e-boards I thought it was about time I built one.

Have previous basic experience in electronics but am a keen learner. Looking to build a 10s or 12s 2p custom battery pack (18650) with a BMS and a dell laptop charger port so I only need to carry around one charger, that will go to dual enertion VESCXs and then a set of hummies (hopefully).

If anyone has any tips or what not to dos be sure to shootem my way!

1 Like

If you want to use a Dell charger, firstly, that’s a GREAT idea and second, you can’t choose 10s or 12s, you will have to match whatever the computer uses as its battery series-stackage

1 Like

Thats a really good point, I didnt think of that :confounded:! Could a possible work around be a transformer in the housing? Granted it would charge slower due to decrease in amps but thats not really a problem for the convenience it would give.

Edit: Just remembered DC vs AC… DC wont work with a transformer.

Edit: Could I use a boost converter?

Yo! We’re a new company in the eboard market! Unlike many companies, were hoping to bring something a tad original to y’all!

40 year old dude getting on skateboards for the first ti.e in decades, lol. I’m 6’2" 250lbs fairly athletic build. I’m in search of am off-road board, so far Mountain boards looks appealing. Long boards with all terrain wheels looks alright too.

I’ve done more research on Mountain boards than longboards because most decks can support my weight. I’m just looking for a direction to go for my first board.

I’ve had some advice so far here on mtb’s and I’m still not sure what to get. The Trampa 690e looks fitting, but the “build my own” method with MBS boards looks good too.

I’m still looking around…

Hi, im Kevin, uuhm, Yeah im 14 and i was thinking about building an esk8 over a Longer periode of time (u know when u Are 14 money isnt very much a thing) i thought it would be a Cool and fun project to do, now that ive ridden My normal longboard for almost a year and wanted to try something New. I am from Danmark btw.

Hi All, Im Ryan and Ive been lurking around this thread for half a week now and I’ve been casually skating/board riding for 3 years now and I love cruising and maneuvering my board all the time using kicktails, I got a small cruiserboard almost like 28" in terms of length. For the past few weeks I’ve been hyping so much or electric skateboarding and Ive been looking around on pre-built Eboards and what ive found that caught my eye was the Riptide R1 and R1 Elite, as of now it is under kickstarter inside US and I live in the UK which is quite not so Ideal for my ongoing expenses. The Boards spec ans size is so perfect that I almost bought one while not thinking right so Ive decided to log on to reddit threads and ask about any recomendations on saving less and enjoying E-boarding, to cut the story less, Someone gave me a suggestion to built one on my own and saw his cruiser build and I got sold on planning to make one now. To make this project successful and not as a cancelled plan Im trying to write this one and ask for help to build one for my self and might as well help me out on building my very own Riptide version. So, these are the check list Im trying to make: - Fish shape Kick tail deck 28" length - 8-10 Mile range - Dual Motor belt(open for debate to stick with one instead or go dual) - 18-20 MPH speed( for safety) - thin decent built remote with battery indicators - 20% incline strength - possible water resistance for I live in UK. damp wet roads are common with gravel that will possibly trip you with your board. - get an all terrain wheels such as “MBS all terrain wheel” which is 100mm

Overall fun and safety is a concern, and the compatibility of everything is a must for I don’t know much about troubleshooting any basic circuitry. Hope I can get help with suggestions, Im going to put a check list of parts or leave a link for the final ideal part for my build. -Trucks= -Motor= -ESC= -Battery= -Remote -Pulleys,Wheels,Belts=

Hey guys! The names Chliffe and over the last couple of weeks i’ve been building my board, had it working for one day before FOC murder my vesc (drv8302 chip) so just waiting on a new vesc but hoping to post some build pictures soon!

Hi everyone, I have been trolling this site for a couple of months, learning how to build an esk8. Thanks for all of the information. I finally finished building my new board. I have been skating for 30+ years and riding my new board is a total blast. I used to get looks riding my longboard because I wasn’t some young kid – now I am getting people stopping me asking what the hell am I riding… Riding an esk8 is way better that the skateboards we use to build with gas engines on the back, with no brakes. Thanks again for all of the information,

9 Likes

Hey everyone, I built my board using torque boards parts, I bought the big 6374 motor with 190KV. I have a single motor setup with three 4s lipo batteries wired in series and the vesc from torque boards. The board worked perfectly at first and was scary fast. I then put an on and off switch on the board. I cut off the xt90 connector on the vesc and soldered in the on and off switch. The other end of the on and off switch is soldered into the connectors that connect the batteries in series. Everything turns on, remote connects, motor spins, but not at full power. I get a failed motor detection. There is no fault codes, the motor will spin when I try to detect it, but not at full power. I don’t know if y soldering is bad causing the connection to be bad, or if the vesc has an issue. HELP?

New member here, Ted. Along with my wife Norah we own Roarockit Skateboard Company. For those that do not know Roarockit manufactures a DIY skateboard building kit. We have been around for pretty much 15 years and are passionate about building boards and helping people get into board building.

I know very little about electric boards but as an avid board builder I am always interested in the many directions our passion of building things lead us in. Eespecially you who laminate your own boards and enclosures as I think I can offer suggestions and help once in a while with this.

Off the top I think it would be fun to come up with a DIY laminated board kit that would be specific to an electric build but I will need to know a lot more than I do now to make this happen.

I have made many interesting boards over the last 15 years. Here are a few.

Top two pictures are pinch boards. Specially laminated, the layers are unbroken through the board without voids or inserts. This technique makes crazy light and strong boards. Don’t talk much about these boards as the technique is still under development.

The middle two pictures are of a classic luge board that presently holds the world speed record in this category. Classic luge is a wood laminated board, no metal and no carbon or Fiberglas.

The bottom picture is of a sculpture I built many years ago for an art show in Hawaii.

I am not into pushing what I sell to others on forums so I will be respectfull of not posting for the sake of advertising. Really want to learn about what you all are doing and share my knowledge.

Thanks Ted

19 Likes

Hi y’all, I don’t really have a plan but thought I’d say Hi as I been lurkin’ round reading and absorbin’ for a while now, (thanks for all the amazing info and thanks for sharing it here,) anyways my names ADi HD ,I split my time between Innsbruck Austria and Cambridge UK. my recent intro to esk8’s came when I found a cheap enough Koowheel D3m (I know,I klnow, but before you all lynch me please read on) for £300 from a kid who’d had his first hard slam and got scared off (I think his mum made him sell it, poor lad), I then proceeded to strip it and try it out on different decks and have settled on this one for the moment, an old 80’s powell deck for £2 from car boot sale, having said that I’m already looking towards the next one, Thanks for the great site folks,

6 Likes

new member here, Tyler Ive never built or ridden an electric longboard but i thought ill give it a shot. parts list is ESC - TORQUE ESC VESC from DIY mount/trucks/wheels - Single Motor Mechanical Kit w/ 83mm wheels and 218mm Trucks from DIY motor - Electric Skateboard Motor 6374 190KV from DIY batteries - 40 18650 samsung 25R batteries in 10s4p deck - custom made by a friend battery/electronics enclosure - 3d printed

Ill post my build when its finished(hopefully it works)

Does anyone know of a torque chart for the torqueboards 190kv 6374(kind of like this one http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/torque-curves-for-sk3s-6354-260kv-6374-149kv-6374-192kv/19721 but for my motor)? thanks edit:spelling

1 Like