[Introductions] New member? Introduce yourself and share your DIY plans

Sick build! I had this deck, you did a good job fitting the battery case. What size wheels are those?

1 Like

Hi everyone! Iā€™m a new esk8 enthusiast, i live in Milano and iā€™m looking to build an Electric skateboard all by myself. I spent my last 2 years in RC cars and i know a Little bit about battery and kV rating (in my world lower kV means lower top Speed but higer torque).

2 Likes

Hello everyone, My name is Chris and Iā€™m located in Germany. Iā€™m into building an electric longboard since Iā€™ve test rode one a couple of weeks ago. After that Iā€™ve been doing a lot of reading and research and decided to build a fairly fast city cruiser with good torque. Therefore I will probably use a two motor setup. Iā€™m an electric engineer with knowledge of pcb design and power electronics development/research. So I decided to build my own battery and some VESCs based on the original layoutā€¦ Hopefully it will all be finished soon. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Reading, lots of reading.

Whatā€™s up people! Iā€™m Leo

Iā€™ve been on the site for about a couple weeks now and have done so much reading to learn all about eboards. Iā€™ve been on some kind of board since I was about 13. Skateboarding, snowboarding, wakeboarding, flowboarding, I love riding a board. Iā€™ve been considering getting one to go to school and back. Doing some research on which one to get I came across the esk8 community and was blown away by the possibilities out there. Searching around for some parts and Iā€™m building my first esk8. Already planning the next one too.

2 Likes

Hi everyone!

Steven from the Netherlands here, I have a dyi longboard myself. (meepo type hub motors) And a Raptor 2 on its way. Used to skate when I was young and now using the esk8 for traveling the last part of my home-work trip.

I am looking to meet more people from the area, learn more about the more advanced technical stuff and share whatever I know that can be helpfull. (Amateur drone/arduino/pi builder)

1 Like

Hey. Thanks for the add.

I live in the US, Washington DC area, and would like to explore building an electric skateboard for commuting.

Itā€™s roughly 12 miles each way, couple hundred feet elevation change. So, I have to deal with a few smaller hills.

Looking forward to learning from the community.

1 Like

Hello, Just started my reading research on electric skateboards. Iā€™d like to make a 4-wheel hub motor skateboard and would like some direction in that area. So far, Iā€™ve read about belt driven motors. I also would like the best quality of everything to go into my electric board. In a way, Iā€™d also like to purchase overkill parts so that I would limit them to run at about 80% so that nothing overheats and can run smoothly in many if not all conditionsā€¦

Elliott

1 Like

Use Ackmaniacs firmware and app then set the max speed to your desire. PID control is another option that comes to mind. Torque is controlled by your motor and battery max current settings.

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply. Where can I find all this stuff?

@ELLIOTTMORIARTY That was actually a reply to @reyx question from earlier in the thread. To answer your question, there are many hub motor options but not many that I would call reliable. The best hubs on the market per my experience and and opinion are Carvons, Hummies and Torqueboards brand hubs. The Enertion FOC box is likely your best bet for speed controllers and a 36-43V (10S-12S) battery pack with high current output(4P at least) is highly recommended as well.

Awesome mate - been in touch with the great man directly @Ackmaniac and will let you know the results shortlyā€¦

1 Like

been glued to this thread for days, your board build and test runs wow. fantastic info from all in here. need the v3s, how? help the noob lol.

/

1 Like

looks like im way late, just wait for the motors to be offered again if? or could i back and get an inside track? any help aprec. thanks.

Been wathcing the elect skate ideas for many years, lots of great ideas, the speeds and distance just didnā€™t click. until i saw this thread. 35plus, free motion the time is right.

Whats up all. Im just getting back into skating after SEVERAL years. I will be doing the majority of my skating in NYC and Jersey. Hereā€™s my plan for my build. Please step in and give me your opinions

Deck-----------Bustin Maestro Electronics----Dual 6364 Hub Motors on 90MM wheels and Meepo esc and remote

The only thing Im still still up in the air about is what batteries Im going to use. Im leaning towards lipoā€™s because I have 4 Venom 3s 5000mah 50c packs. I plan on wiring 3 packs in series to get around 37.8V. What do you guys think? Thx

1 Like

Hey everyone,

I have been a fan of eskates for a long time now (big Casey Neistat fan), but didnā€™t get much into the topic since the prices for a ready-built eskates were forbidding for me. As a uni student I needed a method of transportation and since I had no driverā€™s license so I decided to find an alternative method of transportation. I have been lurking and reading in these forums for about a week now and finally registered an account to get some help from the members of this forum. I wonā€™t go into much detail since I will make a separate topic for my build & any questions but, here is what I think I will do:

2x 5200mAh 6s (22.2V) 10C batteries in parallel 1x 280KV 1510W Brushless Motor

Trying to go for a 35-40km/h speed with 15-20 km range. Weā€™ll see how it goes. Currently deciding on the ESC & trying to find a compact RC without needless features that is not too expensive. Any recommendations/ advice for my build? Thank you!

1 Like

I think you should wire all 4 in series.

Which hub motors are considering?

I think you need to double your batteries if they are only 10C, but thats just me.

1 Like

Why is that? Will I have too few amps? Doesnā€™t putting them in parallel double the amps the batteries can handle? I just found out I cannot have those batteries shipped to me due to shipping regulations, so I guess I can still consider other optionsā€¦ Thank you for the feedback!

Yes it does, but 6s amps are half as powerful as 12S amps so it pretty much cancels out as far as I understand.

You also mentioned you wanted to run hubs and those can require a lot of amps depending on which you choose. As a rules of thumb, get batteries that are capable of outputting double the number of amps youbexpect to draw. That will help reduce the stress on your batteries and maximize their life expectancy and their performance.

1 Like