[Introductions] New member? Introduce yourself and share your DIY plans

I figure you’ll have a ton of torque with even a 50km/h top speed. I don’t think you’ll be needing to go that fast though. Dual 190s on 10S should be beastly, especially at your weight.

2 Likes

Hello from Texas… My name is Mike and I’m into skydiving, scuba, and skateboards. This electric skateboard is taking over now! I’m looking to learn how to build and I want to buy a set up preferably DYI before my two pre-order boards arrive! There’s a lot of info here, so I’ll be busy sifting thru the threads.

2 Likes

Greetings from Nashville! I recently acquired a Genesis setup and would love to find a VESC that supports dual motors. I know I can get 2 VESCs and bridge them together - but it sure would be nifty to have a purpose built circuit board. I’ve been having a blast commuting and riding for pleasure.

1 Like

Hi there,

I’m a new forum member from Germany. I used to own an Evolve Gen2 Bamboo Board. I was very into it, but also noticed the downsides of not knowing the insides of the board, plus the really bulky motor at the back.

Now I am planning my own build.

This is my plan: Get a battery: http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/also-usa-10s4p-samsung-25r-190/12458/1 Get the Carvon 2.5 (Would actually like the v3 but since they are not released yet… Also, I am unsure of whether to get the dual or single version) Get the Carvon vesc/s Get the Enertion remote Get an enclosure (maybe an Ikea box for starters) Use my old Atom deck for test purposes

When that works, my further plan is to: Build my own deck similar to this one: http://imgur.com/a/z4ZAK One big thing I don’t like about that is the missing flex and concave (so actually two things).

Any help/suggestions/warnings are welcome.

1 Like

Hello!

I’m obviously new here :slight_smile: There are couple of reasons why I decided to join this community…

1. I live in Croatia and and it’s too poor and too “far away” country to be interesting to any of the manufacturers or to have delivery to. I mean I could probably maybe order BB and do some voodoo magic delivery with mail forwarding service. But the prices on that are …significant.
  2. I’m not into making the fastest or the best esk8 because I I’m not that into “POWER”. Main purpose of my board would be commute to/from work. I just need something to get me to work in under 30 min so I don’t have to deal with the public transport.
  3. Spare parts. Again, living in Croatia means that I can’t simply send my esk8 to someone to fix it. Either I do it myself or that’s it. So If I’m already counting on making the repairs myself - I need to know what is it made of and where to get spare parts.
  4. Price isn’t that much of a problem. But if I can save on shipping then why not.
  5. I’m in the mood for new hobby. :slight_smile:
  6. I will love it even more if I build it myself. And it will be pink and girly and unicorny because that’s the real HC stuff :two_hearts: :joy:

So… please forgive any beginner questions because I’m almost blank page when it comes to esk8s. For now I think I’m gonna go and read everything written here, before I start buying/building anything

4 Likes

Hi Esk8. I’m Comet212 from NYC. Riding Longboards/Skateboards for many moons. Just got my first Electric Skateboard 2 weeks ago as a wedding gift. Genesis HellFire. I have been having a blast with this thing and have been taking it to work and back home ever since. Now I’m totally intrigued on something better. I just paid for an Acton Blink S2 and I’m thinking about purchasing a Raptor 2. I’m really loving this. Oh and YES ALWAYS WEAR A HELMET.

2 Likes

Hello. My name is Keenan, and I’m stoked that this community is organized on a forum rather than a fb group - so much easier to keep track of threads. I used to contribute often to silverfishlongboarding.com ~ 10 years ago when I was first getting into “longboarding”, which was around the last time I researched eboards. Since then I became a semi-serious downhill slalom skateboard racer, my friends became manufacturers (rollingtree.net), and clearly eboard tech has come a long way. I live in a city and have been tinkering with vintage 2 stroke pedal mopeds, dirt bikes and motorcycles the last few years, which has cut into my skating time. I began noticing older fellows in my neighborhood riding sondors ebikes and some properly quick electric scooters, which restoked my interest in electric skateboards.

So, I pulled the trigger on an Acton S2 yesterday. I’d considered a faster board, but my commute is fairly short and I have other transport options (moped, scooter, motorcycle) for longer journeys… or I can go hit a local DH run if I just wanna go fast. The high profile nature of blasting down the busy bikepath I’m close to also played a part in my decision, bicyclists are rather militant in my area so don’t want to push my luck (iirc 20 mph is the limit for allowable EV’s on the paths).

2 Likes

Hi, my name is Brad from Perth, Western Australia.

Introduction to the world of ESK8

I first started looking into ESK8’s in April earlier this year because I wanted a fun portable way to commute that would also allow me to board a bus and store it in the work truck toolbox and an electric skateboard fit the bill.

The first board I looked into was Marbel, but thankfully I was not able to get one at the time so I started researching in various options and realized that I dodged a bullet with Marbel.

I have never ever skateboarded in my entire life and had to start for the first time on an Evolve bamboo GT. Was literally a baby in regards to boarding skills but I managed to get competent enough to be able to ride up to 40km/h (Full charge and downhill) with out any issues after about 8 weeks on AT wheels.

Growing interest in DIY

However I really want a board to my taste which means flexy board with custom adjustments but did not really look into DIY options as the image I had of that sphere was mostly just hacked together items from radio controlled car/planes and a fishing tackle box that housed the BMS/ESC/battery just duct taped onto the board.

After some reading on eSk8, I started to understand that it is not the case anymore. Ackmaniac’s BLDC-TOOL was such a great read and combined with BBMS (12 cells all up max or 12 cell pack that can then be put in serial with more 12 cell packs? I still have more reading to do!) and DIY 6s to 12 s BMS with CAN, has convicted me that going DIY is the way to go for the ultimate personally tailored board.

I have managed to make some spreadsheet with equations for battery pack set up (volts,amp,c and so on), wheel size speed rpm required for a set km/h speed and the needed rpm for the motor pulley with the teeth number input.

Also to work out the 4th teeth size or rpm information with just 3 known information in relation to one large and one small pulley via belt drive. I did it this way as it teaches me how the math works and therefore have a better understanding.

Thanks to the spreadsheets I built, I wish to cap the max speed at 40km/h and worked out that 15t motor pulley will need to have an rpm cap of 5253 (rounded) to set the limit that the 97mm wheel with 36t drive hub can go at 40km/h.

If it cannot hit 40km/h that is fine, but I will know how much to cap it when changing pulley sizes.

My DIY plan

It is a work in progress. It might be stretched over six months as I’m in no hurry and still have some more reading to do.

What I have now

What I will order in the next couple of months

Planned Fabrication

Battery compartment. I was inspired by Buffalo’s flexible battery compartment and found that it is silicone based. I will try my hand in making a mould to create myself a silicone battery compartment of the right size. Baffalo’s is a bit too small.

However I plan to buy their battery compartment and ESC box separately. Do not want their board at all.

Not decided

• Remote and Reciever
  • Battery config - Thinking about going 12s4p or 12s3p (I want to build it myself, so no pre-builts)
  • Type of battery to use
  • BMS
  • ESC
  • Charger

I will make a new thread when I begin to build my first personal flexy eSk8. Stay tuned!

6 Likes

Hi, Scott from Queensland, Australia.

First e Board and only my second long board after buying one just 2 months ago.

My first build is as follows:

• Bustin Maestro Pro Deck
  • Enertion monodrive mechanical kit (wheels, trucks, pulleys, motor mount, belt 12mm)
  • SK3 6374 192 kv motor
  • Enertion VESC X
  • Enertion Nano X controller
  • 3 x 3S1P 8000mAh LiPO
  • Hopefully custom enclosures if I can build the frame and produce some thermo formed abs

Main worry I have is motor/VESC setup and the BLDC vs FOC quandry.

Thanks for reading

3 Likes

Loooking good!

You got to love a Bustin Board

Hi All,

New member here in Portsmouth in the south of England UK.

I have been lurking for a week or two and I am now about to start a build so thought I’d say hi!

I have a donor Longboard nothing special its an Urban Blue pin tail, but its fairly stiff, which I am planning to use to start with. I will buy some new trucks and attach the batteries, electronics etc in a box which will be attached by velcro for the first few runs as I am unsure about my riding skills.

I am an electro-mech engineer but my access to workshops and all the tools for this sort of personal job will be limited, so I will most like likely buy a mount.

If I like riding it (well can do it) I have a few ideas about custom enclosures and maybe different deck, extra electronics such as BMS and ON/OFF Switch etc to replace anti-spark loop key. I just don’t want to spend loads of money and not get on with it. Plus i thought probably best to keep it simple to start.

I will create a build thread as I have a few questions. Typical things about best options for a UK/EU build :slight_smile:

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @Neilfenstein Im holding a group buy for some esk8 parts and they will be delivered from the UK please check it out.

http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/europe-gb-wheels-trucks-motor-mounts-battery-pack-vesc-switch-controller/13419/

Thanks! After a couple spills I have it running pretty smooth! Way faster than my Boosted! Better range too!

1 Like

Hi, thanks for the reply. I saw this but wasn’t sure of how this worked. Do you collect all orders and then do the order or do you have these parts available now?

I collect all the orders and then i order.

So the parts arent available right now

Hello, all! I have recently signed up for this forum and am putting together a build for my first board while I wait for @onloop to get the raptor2 in full swing.

I would love feedback on my parts selection, which can be seen in this thread:

My aim is to create a short range, light, hub motor powered board for flatland use.

Cheers!

Hello everyone! I am from Central Arkansas, now living in Rochester, New York going to graduate school at Rochester Institute of Technology. (I haven’t seen anyone else from the area, so if you’re from WNY, hit me up!) A couple of guys built an electric longboard during my undergraduate senior design which was my first and only experience with them. Like many of you, Casey Neistat was my inspiration to build my own after seeing his BB.

I am an avid hobbyist and drone enthusiast as well as a DIY tinkerer through and through. I actually became interested in electric boards because of the implications they have over traditional transportation. I am getting a Master of Science in Sustainable Systems here at RIT and I was drawn to these lovely boards because of their versatility while maintaining zero emissions at the point of use…the implications are endless. Before I left Arkansas, I sold my car and have been carpooling, bicycling, walking, and running to get around here.

I have already purchased my build which can be seen here: http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/arbor-axis-maple-aps-6374-240kv-tb-vesc-8s-6ah-lipo-tb-single-mount-kit-caliber-ii-50s-abec-83mm-aps-remote/14217 I plan on jumping head first into it over the Winter Break before I plan to use the board on a daily basis to commute to and around campus while I finish my degree here next semester. Further, I plan to document my rides and use this data for research, but more on that in a later post. So thanks for the help already and I look forward to working with everyone as both my own and your build(s) progress!

-Dread

1 Like

Hi! I am a new member. After about 2 days of nonstop lurking the forums, I have decided to go DIY. I want to build a board for street riding. I want a Loaded Vanguard deck with orangatang wheels. Also, I want the top speed to be between 20-30 mph and have a range of more than 15 miles. Please help! I need help to decide on battery and motors and have a few questions:

1. Is more kV better? Is 200 good or should I look for more?
  2. How can I measure my range? Whats the slimmest/good battery life option?

THANKS!

1 Like

New member in Melbourne Australia. Just putting together the pieces of my first build. Just picked up a cheap longboard deck from gumtree, looks like a cheap ebay job, no branding. Have 2nd hand R Spec 2 6355 190Kv, 2nd hand enertion pully/belt set and have ordered a Nano-x and Vesc-X from Enertion (still waiting on delivery) and in the meantime am trying to understand batteries and BMS. Guessing I am also going to need to work out a motor mount, learn how to solder and order all of the safety gear. Looking for someone in a similar situation to stumble through this kind of project with!