[Introductions] New member? Introduce yourself and share your DIY plans

Hello, my name is Roi, thank you for joining me to your forum.

I would like to build my first electric board and i would like you advise i’ve read most of the articels but still have some Q.

This is the BOARD i’m going to use: https://www.sector9.com/shop/product/bamboo-series/shoots-complete-1?color=AST

This is the TURCKS it comes with: GULLWING SIDEWINDER II LONGBOARD TRUCKS 9"

As i understand they are not good size for most of the kits so i’m going to change them to: TURCKS:

1. calibertruckco.com/product-category/trucks/caliber-ii/ or
  2. enertionboards.com/buy-build-your-own-electric-skateboard-parts/enertion-50-degree-longboard-skate-electric-trucks/ or
  3. /diy-electric-skateboard-kits-parts/torqueboards-v2-pro-trucks/

I thought getting one of the next KIT:

1. enertionboards.com/diy-electric-skateboard-kits/mono-drive-mechanical-kit or
  2. /diy-electric-skateboard-kits-parts/torqueboards-single-motor-mechanical-kit/

VESC:

1. /diy-electric-skateboard-kits-parts/vesc-the-best-electric-skateboard-esc/
  2. www.enertionboards.com/electric-skateboard-parts/vesc-standard/

NOW THE BIG Q??? MOTOR:

1. hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__18128__Turnigy_Aerodrive_SK3_6364_245kv_Brushless_Outrunner_Motor.html OR
  2. /category/electric-skateboard-parts/electric-skateboard-motors/ OR
  3. .enertionboards.com/electric-skateboard-parts/copy-of-190kv-electric-skateboard-motor-6355/

NOW, BATTERIES??? so many: should i go for (4s2=)8s or (5s2)=10s this is what i thought to get:

1. hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=63426
  2. hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__63431__ZIPPY_Compact_6200mAh_4s_40c_Lipo_Pack.html
  3. hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__99484__Turnigy_5000mAh_4S_40C_Lipo_Pack_with_XT90.html
  4. hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__21371__ZIPPY_Compact_5000mAh_4S_25C_Lipo_Pack.html

PLEASE YOUR HELP:) THANX

Hi everyone,

UK based first time builder here. Have been lusting after a Boosted Board ever since I saw them on KickStarter and was finally going to buy one of the various Chinese boards out there (Lecdec/Magneto etc.) until a couple of YouTube videos inspired me to build my own.

Still figuring out what my board is going to be right now. I’ve ordered all my longboard parts but no electronics as yet… Will be searching and asking a lot on here before that as I try to understand the finer points of kv, amps, ESCs etc.

No specific budget in mind - Looking for quality rather than cheap.

Here’s what I have on order right now:

• Loaded Vanguard 38" Flex 3 - LOVE the look of this deck and it seems a few guys have built with it. It’s what Boosted use and I’m happy with that as a benchmark.
  • Caliber 2 50 184mm trucks - Seems that these are recommended for their build quality and ease of clamping motor mounts to. I spent a while deciding between 44 and 50 and chose 50 in the end.
  • Orangatang Kegel 80mm wheels - LOVE the look of these wheels and again, Boosted seem to use them and I reckon that’s a good starting point.
  • Zealous ceramic bearings - Chose ceramic for ease of maintenance and (hopefully) reduced friction. Not skimping on the other parts so figured I’d go for good bearings too.

I think (hope!) that lot will make me a pretty nice longboard - Now I just need to electrify it!

Still on the shopping list (once I’ve figured out what I want):

• Motors (looking to make a dual motor board I think)
  • Pulleys
  • Belts
  • Batteries
  • Control system

Sup!! i have been around for a couple of days and have decided that during my studies this year(electronics enginering in milan , italy) i’ll be taking a part time job to earn some money and build myself an eboard for next summer, i intend in designing myself an enclosure for the board and build myself a battery pack although i have never done it. I have started to go through a lot of topics and decided for safety to make my own battery with a bms to charge it and although i weigh only 60 kg i will be going with a dual motor drive as the commute i have to do has a reeally steep hill on my way back home, so yeah… i really hope i’ll be able to put together the money needed for a quality build !!! until then, i have a question… I have ridden a small cruiser lately, do you recommend i borrow a longboard from a friend so that i get used to riding a skateboard or the learning curve is much better on an eboard ? thanks a lot, great forum and really useful for who like me is a nooooob!!!

5ply bamboo may be too flexy.

Hey guys! My name is Emiel Huyghe and I’m a 19 year old engineering student from Belgium. I’ve just created my first post explaining my plan to build an e-board. It would be great if you could take a look and give me your opinion as experienced builders! Thanks in advance!

Emiel

Hi guys, New to the forum. Got a few questions to ask and I think they may be a little tricky. I have a Fiik Street Surfer with an 800w motor.

1. Can I add another motor to power the other wheel?
  2. If this is possible, can I wire both motors up to the same remote?
  3. Should I upgrade my batteries?

Any help would be great. Thanks, Sam

Hi all!

30 year old child here from belgium and i freaking love boardsports. Skateboard and snowboard when i was younger and now doing kitesurf on our beautifull grey looking sea and wakeboard in a cablepark :slight_smile: . I am building an electric longboard to get to work on dry days to keep on boarding. It is a commute of 9km one way.

I am converting this beautifull deck from Jet to an electric one with:

• VESC
  • Turnigy SK3 6374 192kv
  • 15/36 gearing
  • Space cell pro3
  • Nano controller

I am now waiting endlessly on my parts but DHL is comming today and tomorrow so we are almost there :slight_smile:

More happy times are comming!

btw thx to everybody who contribute on this forum. It is a massive source of valuable info. Kudos!

2 Likes

Hi everyone my name is Barry! I’m building an electric skateboard I guess

Hey all,

Todd here. I am new to Eboarding. I live in San Diego, Ca. Year round riding here in socal is very nice. I have most of my parts for my build but need to work out the wiring harness part. Build Thread: http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/landyachtz-tamahawk-carvon-hubs-6s-lipo/9641

4 Likes

Hi all, Ian from the UK here!

I’m actually (trying) to use the VESC to power a Sinclair C5… Anyone remember these? :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Greetings. Formalities have never been my strongsuit so i’ll cut to the cheese. I have been lurking in the forums for a long tima and i finally decided to make myself an account. I am currently planning my esk8 build and have been for the past 4 months. I have done a lot of research and if all goes well its going to be awesome. Alright, so i’m a liar. I had to have a little rant before presenting the goodies. So, from day one I decided portability would be my main priority. I travel often and having something that can be easily transported when not in use is a must. So, a mini cruiser was a must. A single motor should suffice since I weight no more than a bag of feathers (for once my smaller build has paid off). I plan on doing an 8s2p configuration with 18650 cells and a bms. Why a bms? Because, plug n play solutions are simple. Im not worried about longer charging cycles either. I have all of my parts sort of laid out in sketchup and it all seems to fitt together quite nicely. The 2 things holding me back from purchasing all my parts now are the deck and motors. Do I buy a blank deck and diy a compartment for the goods or do I spend the extra dinero and diy a deck with cf and wood? Do I choose belt driven motors or motor hubs? Like I said im not to heavy so hub motors could work but belt driven options still seem more reliable. So yeah that’s all (for now) folks.

1 Like

You had me at the cheese :cheese:

Welcome

2 Likes

Thank you. I appreciate it.

Hi all, been lurking through all the great threads on this site for a while. I’m at a decision point now, which I hope to post soon for all to provide some input on. L8R, H3

Hi all,

Im 31 years young and i’m about to build my first Eboard. I’ve been into racing Drones for the last 2 years and I think this is going to be my next addiction. I live around about 100 miles of Greenway Trails and I cant wait to ride them all. Just grabbed a Method board with Caliber II 50 trucks and some 83 flywheel wheels. Going to be going with 6s for now with a SK3 6374 192kv motor, FVT 120 amp esc and a 16t/36t config. Will most likely upgrade later or build a completely new board next time around but figure this is a good starting point to get my feet wet. Hopefully Ill run into other Eboarders in Raleigh NC!

Hi there. My name is Dennis, I’m from Copenhagen, Denmark. New to the forum so decided to introduce myself and maybe find someone to ride with. I’ve built two board so far - one for myself and the other one for my son:

My board specs:

• 2x3S 8000mah Zippy batteries
  • 280kv Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 5055-280kv motor
  • VESC
  • Vanguard Loaded deck
  • ABEC 11 wheels
  • DIY motor mount welded to the Paris V2 150 mm trucks

Hi all, Dan from London/UK.

Been lurking for a while, asked some questions about wheels here and there, but otherwise took quite some time and lots and lots of reading to really get started. Things are slowly coming along though, starting to get some of the parts in, so time to post the plan.

High level, I’d like to try to do something like made_in_the_alps Onda builds, ± some changes to account for tools I do or don’t have (so I’m going belt driven, as the large metal pulley would be tricky for me to make; and plan to 3D print the large pulley, since I have a printer).

Note I’m in the UK, which affects some of these choices, e.g. import taxes, and HobbyKing have pretty limited stuff in the UK warehouse, especially battery choices…

Already have: Onda Core (think a Vibe would be better, but you can’t get them easily) VESC from Scramboards Wii nunchuck cloneWiichuck’ PCB (so I don’t have to disassemble the nunchuck receiver) JST PH 6-pin connector + pins (in the mail) (to be soldered to the Wiichuck PCB and plug that into the VESC) Steel motor bracket “GAH-Alberts 330514 90 x 90 x 65 mm” (*if anybody in the UK wants one, let me know, I had to buy a pack of them) iMax B6 clone

Plan to buy: Faraday sensored 190kv motor Faraday 6S 5000mAh battery Faraday 16T small pulley Faraday Onda wheel with gear mount Belt: not sure yet, will have to measure some distances once I cut and attach the bracket. But the general idea is to adjust the last few mm and tension the belt, by putting a spacer between the bracket and the Onda truck. Alternatively, I could try enlarging the screw holes in the plate to make them into channels, and then move the motor up and down to adjust it. HobbyKing XT60 Harness, and XT90-S Anti-Spark Connector (to be connected together as described on the anti-spark thread here)

And to 3d print: One of the Faraday pulleys, or a 60T Onda pulley I found on thingiverse

With those numbers the google docs ‘speed calcs’ spreadsheet gives a 21mph top speed, which seems like a little too much, but whatever, I can try it, and 3D print some large pulleys with more or fewer teeth, as needed.

And also at some point (because of lead times) thinking to swap the Onda wheels for the APS all-terrain kit, or even just put them on a new board, such as this MaxoFit Drop down which I have knocking about.

Cheers all, any comments appreciated, also posting with all those links as I found it can sometimes be tricky to work out exactly what parts someone used in a build :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi! It’s Akseli from Tampere/Finland here. I just started my studies at the technical University of Tampere and I got an idea to build my own electric skateboard. Now I can get my hands on laser cutters, big 3D printers and lots of other tools that I don’t even know yet. I hope there is a CNC behind some corner, lol! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: The hardest part so far has been choosing the right electronics for my board. If someone would be so kind as to check my parts, that are they OK? I’ve read quite a lot, but it may be that I understood something wrong. Motor, [Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 Outrunner 280kV] ESC, HobbyKing® ™ X-Car Beast Series ESC 1:8 Scale 120A (EU Warehouse) Battery, Turnigy Graphene Professional 8000mAh 6S 15C LiPo Pack w/XT60 (EU Warehouse) Remote and receiver, Rocksta 4WS Transmitter w/Two-In-One Waterproof Receiver and ESC (EU Warehouse)

Oh, snap, I can put only 2 links to my post, so that’s why I didn’t link them all.

I’m not sure about the remote, ESC, and battery. Battery should be 120 Amps, but would it be better to buy two smaller mAh and bigger C value? Also I’m going with 15/30 gearing ratio.

Hey everyone! My name is Clayton im a young maker and im just about to order parts for my first build… Honestly Casey Neistat better be endorsed by boosted board… One of the big reasons I am building one!