[Introductions] New member? Introduce yourself and share your DIY plans

I wouldn’t be suprised though if Alien has changed their mounts within the last 2 years, so I’m sure it’s better.

But let’s not hijack this thread :smile:

Ok I will! My mounts are simpler, more compact, lighter, stronger and more adjustable. And so far have a no failure rate.

9 Likes

Hi I’m broshi from Tokyo.

Saw the boosted board and figured I could make that. Willing to spend $800+ but for the specs I want I’m willing to dish out more.

【Desired specs】 ・top speed 40km/h ・range of 30+km

It’s a bit hilly around me so I’m considering a dual drive. I still don’t know whether to get a hub motor or not, could you tell me what are the advantages/disadvantages? I don’t want to deal with the hassle of carving my hub motors out after I wear down the wheels. Does one accelerate or use power more efficiently?

Also I have no idea how to solder or hook up a ESC to the circuit with the motors. I think my top speed and rage should lead me to which battery I should buy which will lead in me deciding which board can fit those batteries.

Any help is greatly appreciated, first time DIY thanks!

3 Likes

Awesome. Where in Tokyo are you? I’m originally from Tokyo but live in Nashville, TN.

I’m making my shopping list for my first board as well. Right now, in trying to figure out if I can make removable battery system. When I’m in Tokyo, I’m in Shinagawa area so there are many hills. So, I was thinking instead of huge heavy battery, have one charging at the office and one at the house.

My house is about 3k from shibuya and this would be perfect. Dogenzaka is omw home and that’s why I’m thinking dual drive. Hmm yeah a battery charging at the office and house seems like a good idea. Need to figure out if I need that or not

日本語でもバリバリ大丈夫やでw。

1 Like

3 posts were split to a new topic: How to make motor mounting bracket for Dr Tongue Truck

Hi guys, I guess I should introduce myself. My name is Luke. I’m a 22 year old competitive skateboarder, Computer Science major.

My interest in particular are short boards. I like the idea of compacting as much as possible into the smallest form factors possible.

I currently am using: -30x9 inch board -2 8000 mAh lipos in parallel from hobbyking -the enertion drive tran and trucks and wheels -r-spec II motor -180a FVT ESC.

This is my second build, the first was the same parts, just with out proper housing. I carved my own wooden housing for the batteries and speed controller.

I use this board to commute 5 miles each way to my university. So a total of 10 miles daily. Currently, it takes about 25 minutes to get the 5 miles (would take about 20 minutes with a car + parking).

I’m excited to get my hands on a pair of the carvON hub motors, which I plan on using 2 VESCs with (I hope theres a chance of getting into the batch which is suppose to ship soon, I just ordered a second one today). These motors are capable of higher speeds then the r-spec, and thus, I’m hoping to cut my commute times down a bit.

I’m super excited for the VSECs. Seeing as writing software is what I’m good at, I hope to utilize the VESC to add head/brake lights, a battery meter, and a speedometer to my skateboard. Another possible feature I would like to add is build in USB ports to charge other electronics for the boards batteries, but that’s the last one on my list so far.

3 Likes

Looking forward to seeing what you can bring to the community and enjoy for yourself of course! Sounds epic can’t wait to see the build. Here are some USB charger adapters if you need them, or maybe you’ll make your own! One is powered by discharge leads and one is powered by the balance cable.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/_46361__Turnigy_USB_Charging_Adapter_2_6_Cell_LiPoly_2Amp_Output_XT60.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/_22320__HobbyKing_8482_LIPO_to_USB_Charging_Adapter_and_Cell_Checker_2S_6S.html

wow, I didn’t even realize it was that easy to add usb charging ports, lol.

Thanks for the links.

@lox897 the second one you linked (that runs off the balancing port) apparently only drains cell 1 of your lipo, so it might not be the best option, lol. A couple people in the reviews were saying they destroyed their lipo’s because of it.

So personally I’d go with the one that converts an xt60 to 2 usb ports if I were you @evoheyax

Thought that would be the same scenario as volt monitor. Go with the xt60 and make a power splitter maybe.

do you know what top speeds and range the carvon motors can get?

I’m planning my first board and I think the first thing I need to set are $budget, top speed, and range. Everything else kinda falls into place after that

depends on whether you get the single or double motor. the speeds are on the shop page on the carvon website. I know the double is 35+ mph with a 6s.

damn thats pretty amazing, thanks for the response!

yes, thats one reason why they are going on my next build, lol

I apologize but I’m still new here. With a dual running at 6s, what would the range be like?

depends on how big of a battery you use. the more mAh you have, the longer the range. I’m hoping with 2 8000 mAh batteries in parallel (meaning doubling the mAh), that I can get a range of 10 miles still. However, many factors are at play here:

• the power consumption of the motor
  • how agressive you ride
  • and hills

there’s more, but those are the ones I think of most off the top of my head.

I am using 1 r-spec motor right now from enertion, and 2x 6s 8000mAh batteries, and I get 15-20 mile range, Though I would recommend personally atleast 2 motors.

hmm right I need to take all of those into account.

Last question I swear! I don’t know the pros/cons of a hub motor or an external one with a belt drive in regards to max range/ top speed. Could you point me a direction if I want max range and is kinda hilly aroundme?

If you want to drive in a hilly environment you should take 10s and a dual setup with the hub motors. If you want to stay with 6s you should take a conventional setup (satellite configuration). 10s/7500mAh are giving me >30km reach on a CarvOn dual config in mostly flat environment.

are the carvons nice? Can’t seem to find a video confirming. Also I can replace the plastic part of the wheel without much effort right