[Introductions] New member? Introduce yourself and share your DIY plans

Hi Everyone,

I am brand new to the e-skate community (actually barely ever ridden a skateboard before). Not new to the electronics community however (electrical engineer). you have all convinced me that building is the only way to go, just trying to decide exactly what I want.

2 Likes

Do you guys have capitol funding or something? How do you pay the bills? If I understand correctly you do not sell anything. Just curious…

Hi everybody. I’m Gustavo from Buenos Aires, Argentina. I’m planning on electrify my Atom Drop Through Longboard (40 Inch). I’m 43, tall (1.89 mt) and 70 kg. So i’m looking for the economic setup of the mono drive r-spec, enough for my speed needs. No downhills, just-ride-under-the-sun-for-the-fun.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/913A%2BpkXH9L.SL1500.jpg

Since my budget is limited (Think on 1 dollar = 15 pesos), i’ll be buying the parts in stages. The good part, i’ll have plenty of time to read/learn/ask and (hopefully) don’t fuck up things. The bad part, i’m impatient and spring in here is coming!

Now, my first question (Cassandra, Forum’s Rep, told me that i could keep my original trucks and wheels). Seems like i have to make holes in my black wheels to fit the blue drive hub, isn’t it? Anybody has gone thru this process?

This is it for now. Thanks Jason and Team for encourage people around the globe to ride electric with good quality/price products.

3 Likes

I’ve been looking to build or buy a new e-sk8 for the last couple months and have been researching a bit. Have a ways to go still. Was wanting to make a thread asking what kind of board people would like to build and why to get some opinions going to better form my own.

I weigh about 84 kg or 185 lbs. I have hills around me so a dual motor setup is something I want. I’m not sure on the range but rather just get a beefy battery as well. Would prefer something fast (over 20mph maybe closer to 30 mph but I think I need to relearn skateboards ha). Room to grow speed wise.

Either way rather hear suggestions or good thread links to check out because I’m learning and there is a lot of bs you have to wade through while learning. Budget is around 1k because I’m trying to keep it cheap but I’m open if the need is there. I have a background in flying drones so I’m not a total new when it comes to motors battteries etc but I also know it’s much different. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Well I might as well say hi, HI! I’m jack from Santa Barbara CA and I’m getting the first few shipments to make my electric longboard. I have been lurking here and other forums for a long time and I’m finally taking the plunge. Here is my idea thanks to everybody for ideas and tips and I’m sure as I run into issues you will hear more from me.

Board - blank drop deck Wheels - 97mm flywheels authentic Bearings - bones Swiss ceramic Motor - dual 190kv 6355 (stealth group buy) ESC - chaka’s vesc with heat sink Battery - 12s 3p 45c lipo to start 12s 5p custom pack once all kinks are worked out Motor mount - torque board v4’s Gear - will get every option I can and experiment with speed vs torque I don’t have many hills here and beautiful paved roads and bike lanes so should be perfect riding conditions Controller - don’t know. Probably a mod case for something

I am going to route the deck and add a custom fiberglass bottom and lid to add strength and also keep everything as thin as possible.

All black and stealthy and her name is Betty. Black Betty

Thanks again to everyone here I’m excited to build this, I was into downhill racing for years and this is just what I need for a bit of fun and excitement.

2 Likes

Welcome and def start a build thread…we like pictures :nerd_face:

I will most definitely do a build thread, I’m excited to actually. only have wheels and bearings now and will take weeks to get it all the parts but I am a film guy so plenty of pics and videos soon to come.

1 Like

Hahah you are in a better place than some…one poor guy is waiting for his first item…a remote lol…

Patience is key … You will be rewarded

Excellent… @RunPlayBack has someone to talk shop with lol

1 Like

You can check this thread out to get your juices flowing

And to help you sift through us noobs… Here’s a link to @RunPlayBack slick vid

http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/esk8tube-video-thread/47/182?u=michaelinvegas

A crowed fav

1 Like

@Michaelinvegas this is my current favorite :slight_smile:

https://youtu.be/E2WXJ_CFsrs

1 Like

Hi There!

I’m Erik and I’m currently working here in SG. I have been lurking around here for a week now. I don’t have any experience riding skateboards but I have experience with Hobby grade electronics for Drones, RC Cars, etc.

I would love to build an esk8 but I don’t have enough budget for a massive DIY kit.

I’m planning on making a PennyBoard Commuter as my first Esk8. I can get a penny deck in the local online trading for a little over 5 USD.

Also, I saw a guy selling everything needed to convert it to ESK8 for 270 USD.

Here are the specs of what he is selling: https://carousell.com/p/39378616/

the seller also told me that He will include a 7 inch. truck with the motor mount itself.:

https://d2xngy2dw7hums.cloudfront.net/media/photos/chat/107344329/1471933498.jpg

I’m planning to use my 3S lipos (1500mah 35C) from my drone racer, then join them in Series to make it 6S. (i’ll upgrade to a bigger AH lipo in the future)

for this build tentative cost will be 275 USD (Penny board deck, Mechanical and electronics Kit, Trucks)

Are these parts okay for what I want? (Casual riding in the park, Commuting to the bus station, etc.)

What do you guys think? :slight_smile:

Hope you can shed some light guys.

And this FORUM IS AWESOME!

2 Likes

What’s the kv of the motor?

Also…is that the picture from the seller? Looks like he needed to use epoxy of some type for the mount…

Do you know what the gearing is?

You can find better

Hey @Michaelinvegas

Yes, the pic of the truck is from the seller. the motor mount has screws to keep it from sliding in the truck. but yeah it seems he used some adhesives.

According to the seller:

• Motor is a 5065 320KV 3s - 8s.
  • ESC is 120A FVT.
  • Planned gearing for me is 29:9 but he told me he has a set of gears for my preferred ratio.
  • Gears are made from #45 steel according to him.

for you it’s a no go? :slight_smile:

but for the price tho? or will it be more expensive in the long run?

Thanks man.

Hi everyone. I joined the forum about 3 months ago, had been reading and sharing stuffs but never introduce myself in this post. I am Graham, living in Singapore now. I have built 2 boards, one for my friend and one for myself.

1st Build for my friend. Deck: Cheap no-brand deck (not willing to drill wholes on my landyachtz :stuck_out_tongue: ) Truck: TB trucks Wheel: abec 11 clone from TB mount: my own design (CNC machined with black anodizing) pulley and belt: 15t/36t, HTD5, 12mm Motor: Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 5065-236kv ESC: FVT 120A (with the program card) Battery: 2x3s 5000mah lipo Remote Controller: 2.4GHz mino remote control Battery case: Aluminium casing

Second build for myself. Deck: Same cheap no-brand deck Truck: Caliber II Wheel: abec 11 clone mount: TB V4 mount pulley and belt: 15t/36t, HTD5, 12mm Motor: KD 53-30 190KV ESC: VESC from enertion Battery: 2x4s 5000mah lipo Remote Controller: winning remote control Battery case: 3D printed

Here is what I am planning to do next:

1. Test my board with Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 6374-192kv
  2. Make a 8s-3P Li-ion battery pack (with BMS maybe, looking for resources)
  3. Solder a MOSFET switch
  4. Add LED
  5. Add bluetooth for VESC to connect with Smartphones
2 Likes

Kv is little too high on a small motor with chain drive

Work out ur top speed here

http://calc.esk8.it/#{"batt-type-lipo":1,"batt-cells":6,"motor-kv":320,"system-efficiency":80,"motor-pulley-teeth":15,"wheel-pulley-teeth":36,"wheel-size":83}|

Thanks for these calculator. :slight_smile:

What gear ratio is safe??

Again. Thanks alot. :thumbsup: