[Introductions] New member? Introduce yourself and share your DIY plans

I built my first longboard in 1969 aged 10 using skate board wheels. I havent boarded for about 4 years. I am considering building an electric one and could do with some advise. My plan is not to use radio or wifi. I like light weight wooden boards so I was thinking of setting up the electrics and battery in a dedicated back pack with a cable which can just be joined to the motor with ease. It allows for extra battery power and no need for radio. A hand device similar to an old fashioned scale electrix would be used to control speed and breaking. What advise do you guys have for an old timer.

Lol welcome old timer…

Not sure who may have this info for a wired solution…

But…start build thread…be detailed…I’m sure someone will chime in…

Good luck

Thanks. I beleive in keeping things as mechanical as possible. Less to go wrong.

Good luck finding parts …

Can someone help a fat kid out with a parts list? I’m 240 lbs and trying to get 8 miles or more out of a kit. Everyone on here seems to be 160lbs and I worry I’ll get stranded. Does anyone have any motor/battery kits that might help me? I heard tacon 1600 is a good motor

Lol Welcome and let’s just say your big boned…

Start reading buddy

Probably not the best place to advertise what you can bring with TaoBao please start a thread. Welcome to the forum!

sorry :sweat_smile: Helps me, I help others :slight_smile: 1 kg of cargo from TaoBao in Russia only 2.5$

1 Like

Lol wow lol

20 words

I’m mostly here to figure out how to build a good commuting board that meets my needs

Hello everyone. My name is Elmer J Fudd. Millionaire. I own a mansion and a yacht.

Kidding aside my name is Kevin from Whitby, Ontario. Canada. I’m also in the 40+ club. I one day dream of moving somewhere hot where I never have to wear socks again and the hardest choice I have to make is which flip flops to wear and which board to grab on the way out the door. I have an extensive background in high powered electric rc cars, trucks and boats. So eSk8 is right up my aIley. I recently picked up a semi complete kit and a 12s3p from DIY @torqueboards. Man our Canuck dollar blows right now. I’ll start a thread when I make some progress. My board is 40" Globe Great Dane with double kick. Btw my favourite thread so far is the No words, Just Pictures thread.

Thanks to everyone who contributes to this community.

*added edit - I also just ordered a flagship enclosure from @psychotiller so I can use my nanotech 65-135c 5s 5000’s until I have a proper enclosure for my li-on pack.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum! Your enclosure shipped at 5am.

1 Like

Are you attending RPI?

Hello guys, I’ve been reading/using this great forum for a while but never introduced myself. I’m a 24 year-old dude from Argentina that started liking e-skateboards while watching Casey Neistat’s videos, wanted to buy a Boosted Board but as it was impossible to get them here, the whole idea of building my own arised, plus it’s so fun…

So as buying new parts is also really difficult here (lots of custom/import problems that may disappear soon), I bought a whole set of used stuff including:

• Custom truck with motor mount called LaGrange L1 from Redrock Boardshop
  • 2700W Turnigy 6364-245kv
  • ESC Mamba Monster 2
  • Turnigy 4500mah 6S.

The remote sucks cause it’s for RC and is huge but anyway.

So I attached that e-kit to my new longboard consisting of:

• Riviera Amanda Powell Ursa Major deck
  • Paris trucks
  • Bear bearings
  • Arbor 69mm wheels that I changed now for 83mm ones

Here are some pics of my really DIY build:

Now, it has a range of 10 to 12 km, and I’ve used it only in 80% throttle going 25km/h, it may go up to 40km/h but I find that kinda dangerous haha.

My main problem is weight, I don’t really know how much it weighs but it’s too much to carry compared to my skateboard (obviously), but I’d like to remove as much weight as possible and thought of changing the deck for a lighter one. Gonna probably start a thread asking for suggestions.

Then I plan on building a custom 18650 battery pack if I manage to get the cells. And I wanna start using fiberglass to make some enclosure designs.

Any suggestions on how to remove more weight (probably with the fiberglass enclosure I can remove the ESC one) will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading!

2 Likes

New here! Building an electric longboard! From Argentina!

3 Likes

Greetings, dudes.

Just signed up, been looking at an electric longboard for a while now as I live on an island in the Mediterranean and, with the right board, could drive across the entire country in one charge. It’ll also be more fun than walking or diving and, seeing as there are never waves in Malta, as close to surfing as it’s possible to get.

I’m planning on the DIY board as it’ll be more fun than simply ordering an Evolve and it’ll be easier to customise and add on to later. So, here it is, a list of parts:

1. Hi5ber Limelite Deck
  2. Enertion Space Cell Pro 4 battery pack
  3. Enertion Mono Drive R-Spec Pro+
  4. Enertion VESC
  5. Psychotiller “Winning” thumb stick controller

While I’m here, could one or two of the more experienced builders provide me with a helping hand?

Seeing as I am a complete rank amatuer, are there any other parts that I would need to build?

Also, if any Enertion people are listening, I’m buying the mono drive for starters but have every intention of upgrading to a dual drive once I’m used to the board and the conditions here in Malta (roads are quite bad and it’s humid as balls pretty much all year round). Now then, the question, The R-Spec Pro+ comes with the “BIGBOY” motor, so would it be possible to buy another “BIG BOY” motor and strap it onto the other side of the trucks or would I need to buy two new smaller motors.

I’ll be uploading photos of the board when it’s built, hopefully it’ll work and hopefully it’ll look pretty sweet.

1 Like

Hey everyone I was wondering if you could help me out with my first build? I had bought a bravo sports altered fantom 1.0 electric skateboard because I had always wanted to get an electric skateboard but don’t have much money.

I have to say it was a decent starter board however it only had a 100w motor which is probably why it was only 200$ considering the parts were most likely made in china.

Anyway, I wanted to build a board since I still want an electric skateboard since the fantom was still a ton of fun to ride. My parts list is as follows:

build #1: Turnigy Aerodrive 280kv Brushless Outrunner Motor ($50) 36 tooth pulley (Part #: A 6A25-036NF0910) ($20) 14 tooth pulley (Part #: A 6A25M014DF0906) ($11) 5mm timing belt (Part #: A 6R25M054090) ($8) 2" washer 1/4 aluminum blank (Min size 121mm by 51mm) 6x 1/4" by 2.5" bolts 6x 1/4" 20 nuts 4x M4 by 12mm bolts 4x M4 washers 2x 5000mAh 20c 3 cell (11.1v) Lithium Battery ($47) EZRUN/HobbyWing 150A-PRO Brushless ESC ($80) Lithium Battery Charger (I use the IMAX B6) ($25) 4mm Banana Jacks (6 pairs) ($4) 10 gauge flexible wire (2 feet) ($7) 2 3s to 6s Balance Adapter ($1) 6s Balance Extension Cable ($1) HK-GT2B Transmitter and Receiver (25$)

this was taken from the http://www.instructables.com/id/Electric-Longboard/ thread and modified a little bit.

build #2: Motor: Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 5065-275kv Brushless Outrunner Motor battery 2x: Turnigy 5000mAh 3S 20C Lipo Pack Controller and receiver: HobbyKing® ™HK-GT2B 3CH 2.4GHz Transmitter and Receiver w/Rechargable Li-ion Battery Motor controller: vesc-standard pullies kit: 12mm-wide-pulley-drive-hub-kit 2" washer 1/4 aluminum blank (Min size 121mm by 51mm) 6x 1/4" by 2.5" bolts 6x 1/4" 20 nuts 4x M4 by 12mm bolts 4x M4 washers

alternatives motor: alien-5065-sensored-outrunner-brushless-motor-270kv-2200w-2

this was taken and modified from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yBgsT65UPg

I am using a long board I have been riding for a while now that has fly wheels and good trucks, if you guys can help me with this build or see any complications or compatibility issues please let me know. Right now I think I’m going to use the second build.

1 Like

Yessir! I’ll be a Junior next semester :smiley:

Hello all, my name is Sam. I’ve decided I want to build an E-Board for commuting to and from my house and University. I’ve gone for a smaller 28" board for portability and I have a few parts-however I don’t know whether they will work for the project or not.

I have:

• Two motors from old RC cars, not sure of the Kv of them (they don’t say).
  • The speed controllers from the cars.
  • 3 batteries (1800mah,7.2V) but I have no idea about the C-Rate.
  • Transmitter and receiver.

I may yet end up buying a new motor as the two motors are on the small size. Speed wise I’m not too concerned, 12-15mph seems a good pace, especially to start with.

Any help would be much appreciated.

1 Like

Nice! My cousin is starting this year. I don’t think I’ll make it though lol. What’s your major?