[Introductions] New member? Introduce yourself and share your DIY plans

Hi everyone, my name is Dylan and I’ve been long boarding for 15 years! Both competitively and as my primary form of transportation. My main reason for joining the forum is solely to build my own electric board. I bought a BB Dual + and fell in love, but the range and size of the board was saddening, inspiring me to turn my 10 year old S9 Luke Nosewalker into a long range commuter machine! My only real wants are at least 20 miles per hour top speed and 20 miles of range with no concern over the weight, with the intention of being able to add upwards of 50-60 extra pounds of carry-on luggage on top of my own weight of 145lb. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Just a place to start would be more than appreciated!

1 Like

Hey @Dilinski

Welcome …

We invite you to start a build thread … Thoughts, desires etc and what your thinking

Let’s start you off with

This should help you with motor choice and gearing

Tip: 63mm motors 149kv to 270kv

And also please take moment to read through this thread

The members here are very helpful … You will have people chime in on your post when you put it up.

Good luck🤘🏻

1 Like

Hello, my name is Matt. I’ve built 2 homemade longboards and am currently in the development of building my first electric longboard! My plan is to copy the Boosted Board design with the same Orangatang wheels and board design. I want my board to be sleek and thin so I’m wiring 6 2S Lipos in series for a 12S board. This site introduced me to VESC’s and thankfully so. I’m using some of the gear and power calculators to fine tune my gear’s right now. My biggest worry is attaching the wheel pulley to the wheel. I want everything to be perfect and I worry if the gear is not perfectly centered problems could arise… Any tips on how to make sure my gear is centered? And if anyone finds any flaws in my current plan please tell me! Thanks for your input -Matt

1 Like

Use a mallet

20 20 20

1 Like

So recently I was planning on creating a 12s battery pack using 3s 5000mah batteries with a bms. Here is the batteries I am using http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=8579&aff=1086883. Additionally here is the bms which is compatable with lipo batteries. http://www.batterysupports.com/44v-48v-504v-12s-30a-12x-36v-lithium-ion-lipolymer-battery-bms-p-268.html

I have already purchased my the batteries but am confused as to how I would wire the balance wires connected to each battery to the bms. Currently I have been just using a 6s setup with a balance charger but want to upgrade to this new battery. I haven’t seen any posts or videos similar to a battery that I am making because I am using premade batteries. Any help as to how I would wire this bms to multiple premade lipo batteries would greatly be appreciated. Thanks!!

The main reason I am confused is because of the lipo’s batteries 4 wires in the balance connect as you can see from this image. I have what I extra wire is doing. Again I would appreciate if someone who knows more about lipo batteries could give some input.

EDIT: I actually just found out what each wire does. According to this post http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/12s-battery-configuration-question/3088/20?u=jrpwit there would be 1 power wire and 3 grounding wires for a 3s battery but I am still confused as to how I would connect this to an bms since I am connecting multiple batteries.

The 4 wires form what is called a balance plug. It is used to charge the battery while also balancing each cell to prevent damage. Each cell has a wire connected to its positive and negative terminal, and to conserve wire each cell shares a wire The positive and negative OUT wires in this picture are the black and red wire in your picture. The other colorful wires form the balance plug, and you can see how it is laid out with 4 wires.

In terms of wiring a BMS, I am not 100% sure. From what I’ve learned so far, a BMS is wired in parallel with each cell exactly like the balance wires. If you can imagine the yellow batteries in this picture as your cells, and the board being your BMS, you could splice your balance wires and directly solder in the BMS. The 4 balance wires would be soldered to the 4 connection points on the BMS board and the + and - power leads on they’re connection points. And if I’m not mistaken, the BMS board should act as a balancer not requiring the need for a balance plug.

Hope this helps! If anyone notices a mistake or wants to add on, please do so!

-Matt

1 Like

Omg DUDE thank you for the diagram of the 3s lipos!!! I can not thank you enough! I think I can take it from here and hook up my batteries to my Bms. I will add that my bms is very much different than the one you showed by with the lipo diagram I can figure it out from here. Again THANK YOU!!! :slight_smile:

10 posts were merged into an existing topic: New member build

Hello, my name is Bernard and I am building my first board! From the minute I saw my first electric longboard, I wanted to build my own :smiley: I have never seen one irl, so it wil be very cool if mine is ready

1 Like

Hello, I’m Paul. I built my first electric longboard a few months ago. I built it without making a lot of research before so there are probably a few unoptimized things on my board. But hey, it works, I have a good max speed (enough for my at least ~ 35kmh), good range (~13km) (I am a very light person). I just discovered the huge electric skateboard community!

(I made my board myself out of a piece of wood…) I’ve built a Bluetooth speaker into my board :wink: (mainly for use when not riding the board)

3 Likes

@Paulf You gotta show us a picture of the internals :wink:

This is how it looks

And this is the remote I made from an actual wii nunchuck (I put a small lipo, an atmega328 and a tiny nrf24l01 inside) I coded the communication protocol myself (through 2.4 ghz)

8 Likes

Hi I’m super new and i have been a street skater for around 8 years and I really want to ride and electric skateboard and buying one is too much money so I’m here so I can try and build one. :smiley:

I have no tools or experience so this is going to be fun. :smiley:

I hope you guys here can help me with my first ever electric board.

Hey all, I’m Rob! I’ve been lurking for about a month now. I’m looking at building an electric longboard, and maybe a electric mountain board later on. I’ve just been doing a lot of reading and researching until now.

I’m an engineering student and I love just fiddling with stuff, so I’m hoping to do as much as possible on my own. Being a current student I also have access to a lot of tools and machinery that I wouldn’t have otherwise, so I think I actually can do a lot of my own.

Anyways, I’m hoping to building something I can have some fun with and possibly use as a commuter board (bike recently got stolen :frowning:) I’m probably going to do a dual setup for the torque so I can up a few hills close by, and for the acceleration :smile:

Parts list so far -Deck: I’d like a Loaded Vanguard or Dervish, but for cost I may end up buying a homemade deck from a friend of mine.

-Trucks: Caliber II 44, 10", probably in green or blue

-Wheels: Flywheels, probably clones. Also, green or blue

-Motor Mount: I’ve started designing my own based off of a mix of @psychotiller’s mount and @onloop’s free plans. Gonna buy some aluminum and machine it myself (well probably water jet)

-ESC: VESC. Buy the parts and solder it myself.

-Motors: @torqueboards’s or @onloop’s 6355. Unless I can find an Aerodrive. Still somewhat undecided but leaning towards torqueboard’s, definitely looking for input on that.

-Batteries: 18650s pack. Also, buy the parts and solder it myself. Still deciding between 12s4p, 12s3p, 10s4p and 10s3p.

1 Like

Nice! Can’t wait to see your build

Hi, my name is Ricardo. I’ve been doing research for a while about e-boards and I’m already getting the parts to build my first one. I’m studying medicine, so I lack some engineering knowledge, which I’m rapdily getting mainly from this forum. Once I figure out how to create a new thread, I will explain the ideas I have for my build (some of which I haven’t seen before :P). I hope I can learn a lot of new stuff from you guys.

(Yes, I have read the tutorial to create a new thread but it seems like the “New Topic” button doesn’t want to appear on my browser)

1 Like

Welcome mate…don’t worry this site is easy…

Take a look at this thread started by @evoheyax it will give you a good start of you haven’t seen it already.

Yeah, I had already checked that (many times :joy:). I have posted my plans in the E-Board builds section in case some has better ideas to improve the build.

Hey guys!

I’m Dave, and I just started doing my research to build an e-skateboard! I am excited to start, I’m not sure what my plan is yet but I know I want it to be a super high performance build. If anyone wants to steer me in the right direction while I do my reading I’d really appreciate it! @Michaelinvegas has already helped a bunch via chat room, thanks Michael.

Once I do have a plan I’ll open up a thread and hopefully share some knowledge and science :wink: It’s feels great to be a part of such an awesome community

1 Like