[Introductions] New member? Introduce yourself and share your DIY plans

What school are you going to? UIC FLAMES!

Hi, Ben here from the UK. Just bought a knackered eight ball carver. There were quite a few broken connections so re soldered these and then discovered the batteries were shot. Ive replaced these with hobby king 3 cell 5000mah 20c batteries and it seems like it is ready to go. Zipping up and down the lounge while i wait for the weather to break… Now stumbled upon this site and others and seen that what I have now is rather clunky so going to lurk and look into build something a little more streamlined… Cheers

1 Like

I actually was planning on either going to UIUC or MSOE for a while. But now I have switched my major from engineering so now I am going to Moody to be a youth pastor. #bigchange

1 Like

Ok thank you for the info. One question though. I am a little overweight (around 220 pounds) would that drastically affect the gear ratio due to the need for a little more torque?

Also I would like to be able to hit around 25 mph as a top speed. If I need to get a more powerful motor or even jump up to a 10s or 12s setup I will. I am a bit on the heavy side and want to make sure I will have enough torque but still hit those speeds.

Take a look at the Electric Longboards for Larger Riders Thread.

Hi everyone!

I’m in college and I currently bike everywhere. It gets pretty tiring if I want to go home then go back to campus for the gym. So I’m now reading all I can about electric skateboards! I was originally just going to buy a Yuneec E-GO, but the speed limitation and weak motor worries me.

Most of my town is flat, but there is this one S-curve slope that is kind of steep. I’m mainly looking to build a commuting board with a range of at least 20 miles and top speed of 15-20mph. I weight about 150 pounds and want to keep my budget under $1000, but ideally around $700 or less. Has anyone built a board with these specs in mind already?

Yes its totally possible with that budget, even better if you already have a longboard your self to begin with. 20 miles is not that long and 20mph is not fast to most people here while 150pounds is not considered to be heavy. So if you ask possible or not, it’s very much possible.

20mph speed = 6s - 10s battery build 20miles = 10AH on 6s and about 10s 8AH - 10AH (enertion space cell would cover both speed and distance) Use single mount motor build, SK3 motor or RSpec motor or any motor 250kv or lower

1 Like
2 Likes

hey there, built my first electric longboard last week - a loaded dervish with ncr18650bd battery packs. made a short build video about it which was a lot of fun. hope you like it!

5 Likes

Hey, my name is Aksel and I live in Norway. I’ve allways wanted to build my own esk8. I want to build something that is as good as the comercial ones maybe even better and I don’t mind using alot of money on parts. This forum is the best!

:grinning:

My name’s Jarrod, most call me Jrod. I’m here to learn. Brand new to thecE-Board world , however, I love building and customizing anything motorized that I can ride. Everything from overhead cam methanol burning 5hp go-karts, to strapping 150cc 2cyl engines on Honda 50 frames. Im a perfectionist and hours upon hours of research led me here time and time again, so here I am. Currently mapping out my first build and I couldn’t be more stoked!

3 Likes

Welcome and post up the build​:metal:t2: l​:eyes:k forward to checking it out…you will find many like you here :facepunch:t2:

1 Like

Dear all, nice to see all this action in the diy eskate community! I am Danny and I am an electronics enthousiast, I have my own small electronics engineering / design company for which I design IoT linux, touch screen interfaces, home automation or electronics for FPV drones. For about 2 years ago I was an active team member of a solar powered speed boat where I contributed with the development of the solar charge controllers (MPPTs), telemetry and battery management. Here a demonstration of the boat in a race:

Save to say I love electronics above everything ^^. Inspired by Casey Neistat me and my brother started to DIY a electric skateboard, from the moment we got on the board we fell in love and wanted to engineer the crap out of this hobby :blush:.

6 Likes

Hi All, Just getting into Electric skateboard building. I’m 48 years old and I’ve always wanted one since being a kid and now the technology is available to do this quite easily and cheaply. I started off by buying a cheap faulty 12v dc motor type electric skateboard as the mechanics were already done for me and I could concentrate on the electronics (my main skill). Stripped it all down and was surprised to see that the motor was relay controlled so the motor was either off, on or brake. Stuck in a 4S Lipo battery pack and had fun with it, but now I want to go faster and use it for getting to and from work. So now I am investing in a brushless motor (or two). Already made plenty of mistakes like buying the wrong type of ESC (for a plane not car) so still learning. Having fun though.

1 Like

Hey @andrewhannay welcome…

DC motors bad

Brushless 50-63 mm cans

Use this site as a bench mark…

You will create yourself a masterpiece … Ask and you shall get two cents :facepunch:t2:

Hi everyone, im kyo frim Vietnam. I wanna make e-boảrd to use it as vehicle to work which is ab 7km away from where i live. I ve done some research and there is one think that i dont understand that if i make my own battery , how can i charge it?

U need the correct type of charger for the type of battery you use

So you can’t charge a 18650 battery with a regular charger…or a lipo … Need specific type

1 Like

If you use lipo, you need balance charger and a power supply for that balance charger. There are some balance charger that does include the power supply (watch for the balance charge specification if is it 110v / 220v or 12v - 25v). If the voltage is 110 / 220v AC means it includes power supply. If the inout says 12v - 25v DC means it needs power supply.

If you use 18650 packs which I dont think you gona use, it requires BMS (battery management system) and a power supply.

1 Like

And there is my second mistake. Brushless motors are a lot harder to come by than I thought. Bought a GT5335 200kv that seems to be powerful enough, but I’m only running it at 4s 13.8v and its spec’d for 10s. So with the gearing I already had with the board, this resulted in a <8mph . so I bought a n5055 580kv motor and reduced the drive pulley to gear it right down. Jus waiting on a pulley belt before I can try it.

1 Like