[Introductions] New member? Introduce yourself and share your DIY plans

Thanks for the reply! I wonder why I’m afraid of making a mistake to connect the engine to the focbox and burn it …

good morning guys I showed up but I did not describe my project … I’m Danilo alive in Italy and I’m building an off-road longboard. I have the following components: 2 230kv 6374 bruschless sensored engines 2 focbox antispark 10s 10ah lipo battery battery voltage 40 "table I hope to do everything as soon as possible, I can not wait to use it! thanks for the previous posts you answered to me

Personally run 10S since I think 12S is just more power than I want to use on a board. I started with 12S but burned up some cells in one of the packs (dropped voltage too low) so switched to 6S temporarily and was just a lack luster experience (on 149kv especially slow). So think 10S is pretty ideal but would just say somewhere in the 8-12 range will be a better experience in general.

Hi everyone. I’ve been lurking for the last couple of months but today I fried my VESC. Have a Ollin vesc 4.12 HW and 3.38 SW. It’s blinking red when trying to rotate motor and is giving the error code: FAULT_CODE_DRV. It’s my DRV that is fried probably. Can I replace this myself?

Hi everyone! my name is Ash from Wales, U.K. Looking for a project to get myself busy with over the summer and have pondered over the mountains of electric boards currently on the market and have decided DIY is a good way to go to get my moneys worth! whilst also meeting some like minded and helpful people who most likely have a better understanding of how all of this works than me! haha no clear image of what im looking for currently but i’ll be sifting through this great forum for some advice!

Thanks in advance guys!

1 Like

A good place to start

1 Like

10s2p or 10s1p? What charge rating would you recommend for the battery? 20c?

Those things are tightly related but you mis-stated something there what you want to know is the ‘discharge’ rate not the ‘charge’ rate. The charge rate is always basically 1C if they don’t say otherwise which means you take the capacity of the battery in Ah and charge at that rate in Amps.

So if it’s a 5Ah battery for example (which I use) then it should be charged at 5A at max (will also depend on if your charger can put out that much current without overheating and shutting itself off).

Regarding the discharge rate if we assume it’s a 5Ah battery and 20C discharge rating (that’s max discharge, shouldn’t sustain having this much pulled from it) then you can safely pull up to 100A (5Ah x 20C = 100A) which I think is plenty. Say you have 5 2S in series or 2 5S in series it’s the same equivalent 10S so 37V nominal voltage * 100A = 3700W which is far more than the motor is rated to ever pull anyhow. You don’t need to do lipos in parallel if they are rated high enough, the higher the better though you will heat/stress them less and they will have less voltage dip under load (when amps are flowing).

Additionally the charge rate is important to be conscious of when it comes to setting your regen settings in the VESC so as to not dump too much charge too quickly back into the batteries, they can deal with more than 1C for a short period but don’t want to push them too much.

Sorry for the book… one last thing to add the C rating can be BS sometimes so looking for third party tests of internal resistance of the cells from different manufacturers compared to their claimed C rating is usually the best bet. Joshua Bardwell is an FPV geek I watch on Youtube who does some deep dive tests into different batteries/manufacturers and publishes his test data. Roughly speaking from what I’ve seen the C rating does correspond to max discharge but manufacturers may fluff the numbers some.

Hey everyone, been scouring this forum for info ever since I started my build but just recently became a member.

My setup:

39" Loaded Tan Tien board ( flex 1 ) Paris 50° front truck ABEC II 97mm 75a flywheels Bones Reds bearings CarvOn v4 TorqueDrive dual 75k 400w motors 10s3p 30q pack w/ a 30a supower bms Maytech v4.12 vesc ( x2 ) Maytech wireless controller

Still in the process of securing my enclosure but I have an idea in mind. Also just programmed my vesc’s using project-vesc’s tool as well as motor/sensor detection. Should have the last peice of the puzzle some time next week then I can actually start riding my board. Here are some pictures of my build:

20180602_103611

20180601_213620

20180619_202051

20180619_202022

20180619_202300

20180619_202343_001

20180614_211051

Looking forward to being a part of the community. Cheers :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey guys. I am from Ukraine, there is almost no esk8 community, but i have great plans to build a personal transport of my dream :sunny: Currently i have 3 stock boards, but i want to build more, with perfect setup for me. For now i mostly like Predator Banshee, I know that author of this device is on this forum, so cheers to him :vulcan_salute: IMG_1307

3 Likes

Hi All,

I’ve mostly seen people riding Boosted boards around and I’ve wanted one for awhile, but so far I’ve never gotten to ride one. In April I ordered a Boosted Stealth. It’s still not here yet, but already I want to tear it apart and modify it. So I figured I better start building one of my own, otherwise I’m going to unbox it and have it in pieces before I ever get to ride it. I’'l post on the ‘builds’ thread here shortly, parts are already on the way.

-f

1 Like

Hello

I just started manual longboarding and I love riding downhill. So I thought why carry the board back up if I can make an electric. I’ve done electronics in school and building an EV sounds like a fun engineering challenge.

Probably not the best idea to make your first board from a boosted stealth

1 Like

Hello everyone. MY name is Randy and I live in Kentucky. I recently purchased a used lift board in great condition for $40. Only catch is that it has no battery or ESC. So I have a board with wheels, trucks, and motor all ready to go.

I’d like some guidance on which battery and ESC I can buy to get this thing going down the road. I’m not looking to spend a lot of money, or have the fastest board. I’m happy with quality parts that’ll just get me cruising some sidewalks.

I have a beginners knowledge of how these boards are assembled and work, but I’m very good with my hands, and with a wiring diagram I’m good with electronics.

If someone can help me with recommending a battery, ESC, and any other parts or programs I may need to get up and running I will be eternally grateful.

Thank you!

Trying to figure out this forum interface, which I’ve found very unintuitive. @onloop you are listed as an admin so I figured I’d send you a pm, but I can’t find the button. My problem: I’m trying to post a topic but I can’t find the button for that either… :thinking: :confused: Apparently there’s some sort of user trust level but I don’t know how to see my level or gain imaginary trustworthiness points so that isn’t helping much.

1 Like

I think you need a certain amount of read time before all the basic privileges are unlocked. Helps prevent spam and troll posts from new members.

1 Like

Hey dudes and dudettes! :call_me_hand: I’m Nathan. I just bought my first complete deck, and now I’m looking to build something of my own. I need more power and range. Ultimately, I want to build two decks :v: One off-road beast that’s capable of riding dirt tracks through the bush and one smaller street board with a slight kicktail for ripping it up in the city. Can’t wait to get started on it. I’m brand new to the DIY game, so there’s going to be a massive learning curve for me. :books: Also keen to get to know you guys and hope to meetup for some rides in the future.

1 Like

Hello everybody! I’m pretty excited to join the community! My friend bought a wowgo board and I fell in love with eboards, so now I’m trying to make my own. I’ve always been a diy kind of person, and have a lot of experience in similar kinds of projects.

I’m trying to make a particularly fast board, 35mph+, and haven’t settled on much of anything yet. I’m slowly earning the money anyway, so I won’t click buy on anything for a while. Any advice from an expert would be highly welcome! :slight_smile:

1 Like

hi all! I’m Andrew! Im from CA, USA. It was my birthday a few days ago and I pulled the trigger to treat myself to buy myself a meepo 1.5 30" !! upon receiving it, it seemed to me that I would prefer a longer deck instead. I recently picked up a used loaded vanguard flex 2 board for ONLY $25 bucks on offerup! Planning to do a simple deck swap with it something not too crazy! Still a novice at this whole Esk8 building thing, but Im sure i can get a hang of it!

Deuces~

1 Like

Hey Guys, I’m Harry. I’m a 16 year old maker, and I’ve done a number of projects over the years such as building a 3D printer and sending a weather balloon 100,000ft in the air. For the past few years building and flying drones has been my main hobby, but after I rode on an electric longboard for the first time about a year ago, I was hooked. It was one the most euphoric experiences I’ve ever had. I’m a long time snowboarder so it was incredibly natural for me. I sold all my quadcopter stuff, got a job, and I finally have a couple grand saved up to build a quality ESK8. The build is gonna have Carvon V4 Speeddrive R motors, Enertion FOCBOX escs, a @psychotiller built 12S4P 18650 pack, a Surf-Rodz front truck, and an Arbor Dropcruiser deck. I’ve been lurking on this forum for about a year, but I never signed up until now lol. I can’t wait to have my rocket of a build finished! I also weigh 130lbs so I won’t be running out of power anytime soon :smile:. If only those Carvons would be come back in stock!

5 Likes