NEW IMPROVED: FOCBOX | Official Thread

Has the DVR chip been made more robust on these new Vecs as they seem to be the weak link to these things.

There are already some guys who have it(Or at least a sample), who seem so be testing stuff like this in the moment.

@JohnnyMeduse is testing them with hubs: http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/the-hubs-x-enertion-vesc-x-hummie-hubs-custom-10s4p-pack/11127/

The drv chip is the same chip. However the tolerances of the components surrounding it are upgraded over the normal vesc 4 BOM.

We also added a tvs diode to protect the components from voltage spikes.

Other vendors have claimed that upgraded capacitors are the reason their vesc are more reliable. There is some clear evidence already that this is true and therefore being implemented in v6.

We are simply making the same changes plus adding a few other additional components that are designed to provide protection. Such as the tvs diode to stop voltage spikes.

We also separated the logic and power to minimise trace length and re postioning components to minimise noise. These are all known facts and it’s why vedder is doing the changes in the same way on v6.

Everything we did was based on knowledge gained from evidence provided from vesc users across the globe.

1 Like

Stay classy guys and gals. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

For any audiophiles here, this forum is turning into the e-skateboard equivalent of head-fi. Where constructive posts (meant to better the product or company) are being censored as a means to protect the company’s interests. People here are bringing up legitimate concerns about the VESC-X and its development, only to get censored or shut down.

7 Likes

I know and this is logical but it’s just words, take your raptor go out and try hard to blow this fucking chip with r-specs. Because that’s what I want to buy this VESC for and I don’t want to waste my money. :wink:

2 Likes

Using both BLDC and FOC modes.

To better my understanding of the rules of this thread, whyare those items off topic? Both are of are subsections of your original post. I mean no offense in asking this question and I am grateful/impressed with your investments in pushing the community forward.

So why would we pay that different for a new untested component over say a v4.12 chaka made vesc with same upgraded components and proven pcb board. This is why I couldn’t pay that extra as nothing to show its better. Would rather by Chaka vesc with the better warranty

1 Like

Untested by the masses true, but you can’t expect to have hundres of reviews of a new product 3 days after it’s launch.

The enclosure is the biggest feature here, even acts as a heatsink on a fet package that is designed to transfer it’s heat the most efficient way.

Yea the inclosure is good but I have a 3D printer and access to cnc which within a day or so could have something made to enclose a v4.12 . Yea I under stand beta testing as have been beta and alpha tester for computer game few years ago and yes you can’t get huge amounts of reviews unless your willing to put the money into the testers. The more tester the better the result by seeing as this is still a small business there will be less money spent on testing compared to the larger companies. I do wish him all the best and hope that the launch goes well to encourage people to buy them but without the confidence in your own product to supply a 12 month warranty on manufacturing issues its hard to buy.

The big problem with the 4.12 is that is was not designed with an enclosure in mind. While building my robots, i tried enclosing them, ended up either shorting the fets or the whole assembly became to bulky. (If you do a search with keyword “sumo” you’ll find the threads)

It’s totally respectable for one to wait and see how a product matures in to a tried, tested and reliable product. Other peep’s will get their hands on one early on, beleive me they won’t be dissapointed.

Personnaly i’ve been testing this thing for the last 3 months, tried all the revisions, haven’t broke this one yet.

2 Likes

Guess i can show these pictures now,

This is the first revision i received, my feedback was “It’s nice, but it’s bulky, not easily mountable, no real advantages over the current 4.12”

My feedback was taken in to account, 3 revisions later, now you have the vesc-x

6 Likes

Yea 4.12 was design to serve the needs at the time but people have developed and pushed the boundaries since. So things will need to change which is why people have developed 4.12 more to make it suitable within the designs but still limited. So then it’s now been developed more to make v6 but doesn’t mean the 4.12 can be pushed to the side as if configured correctly it’s now a reliable vesc. Just we now need this new vesc to be tested with the mass if proven to work then brilliant I would buy. But bottom line is if you have tested something and you believe in the product you will support the people who buy from you and supply a warranty. Oviously were still working with people who don’t understand the basics to coding and programming which is the key. If we can make a vesc that will work with majority of setups with basic setup then will be off and people will be happy to pay the extra. But for now we need the support from the seller to say yea we have tested and if configured right this product will work flawlessly.

I would happily build one to test but the BOM and PCB files are not being made public …

1 Like

Hello guys @onloop what are the overall dimensions of the vesc-x ?

When we do the installation of VESC into our own products we offer 12 months instant replacement warranties, raptor customers can attest to this. We will also have some new products coming soon that will have the VESC-X pre-installed inside, you will get 12 months warranty on those too.

If you decide to build your own esk8 and install the VESC & if it fails in 60 days you need to prove it was a manufacturing fault. If you have changed firmware settings or modified the VESC it voids the warranty.

If you cannot prove it was a manufacturing fault, or even if you destroyed the vesc from user error you can buy a Platinum warranty and we ship you a new VESC.

1 Like

outside diemnsion 64mm X 64mm

IT’S NOT CENSORSHIP

People can create a new thread to discuss any of the off-topic subjects, I just don’t want this thread filling up with crap…

I am all for open discuss, please just do it in the correct thread!

example;

create a thread called “How much vendors should donate to Vedder”

create a thread called “I am anti VESC-X & here is why”

create a thread called “I am anti-innovation & here is why”

create a thread called “Creative Commons License - Rules & Guidelines”

create a thread called “VESC prices”

create a thread called “VESC Vendors warranties & what is covered”

create a thread called “I like to discredit everything enertion does because I have deep resentment & envy of their work”

Please try to be reasonable & civil… & don’t hijack threads with bullshit.

5 Likes