NEW IMPROVED: FOCBOX | Official Thread

@onloop great man, to see you push the envelope once more.

because it’s polite… & because it’s not required

Vedder doesn’t necessarily want everyone’s modified VESC hardware designs being made public right now, especially when he is looking to release the next major hardware change himself in the near future. It’s a potential conflict and therefore we will wait.

Sure - I would even do this for the reputation. There are not too many out there contributing on this level.

You mean: sharing the changes? If yes, I just would like to point you to the very simple description of the CC BY-SA 4.0:

If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.

If not, could you please elaborate?

There are different VESC versions on the market - I couldn’t think on better description on VESC-X what you made in this thread’s OP. Plus you already started selling (pre-order) it, so on this level it’s already making newbies (not reading these details) confused! …but how would the source files make conflict? - those are not consumed by users who are not aware of what VESC is on this level.

The only conflict would be around the name itself - VESC - but I didn’t find anything that would imply there there is a copyright / trademark on the name.

R, J.

@onloop I can understand that you will not say anything to my last post because it will maybe reflect badly to your VESC-X. But I can not understand why we need to order over a special link to support Benjamins work. Why not sending him the money for every order? You generated a lot of money from his work and it would be fair to spend money for every single order like chaka did. I think that is a clear point that you are just profit oriented and not “make better esk8`s” like you always claim.

2 Likes

I’m not saying you are hypocritical either, I was only saying that I wasn’t saying you’re not hypocritical :wink:. Joking aside I apologies, hypocritical was not the correct word to use there and it’s not my intent to cause drama. I think people were taking my comments on the non-relevance copyright/CC license as defending your your file format choice and I wasn’t (I’m not qualified to have an opinion on that) so I was trying to distance myself from that separate issue.

As for bias, I admire your work and everything you’ve done for the community - so, yes, I’m bias, only a little though.

The referral program has started, sign up now & earn cash to help us promote the new VESC-X

Nice job Congrats! I like the innovation.

2 Likes

Will the new raptors have the VESC-X?

Eventually when the stock is available we will be using vesc-x in all our pre built products.

Is the VESC-X compatible with 12S?

yea why not?? Even the previous VESC was. I ran it on 12s at 30+ mph near the ERPM limit. No issues.

I only ask because on Enertion’s site, the VESC is listed at 10S max, but other suppliers spec it to 12S. This could just be a conservative value, or they could have optimized the component selection for 10S max in their build of the VESC

Actually, running on 12S is half-reliable because it would result in a broken DRV8302 chip when it happens. Vedder design the VESC to have a max voltage of 60V and 60 amps. There’s no one stopping you from doing so, but only the advice of picking which buyer should you choose to return a broken product for repairs.

So 12s should be safely below that?

@onloop are there any manufacturing differences between the run coming out 11/10 and the vesc-x your beta testers have gotten?

I’m wondering if those great results are coming from vescs built off of your scaled production line or if those betas were a small batch production. Would give me a better idea of what they’re evaluating.

Thanks!

Whoa!!! WAY OUT OF PRICE RANGE!!! For the price of one vesc I can get two 4.12 Vesc plus a remote on Ali express! The real market price should have been 100 USD. Good luck with those crazy out lf equilibrium prices

Well… if it actually is a lot more reliable, I’d buy it. For now, I’m just going to sit and wait.

Vesc 6 will probably be around the same price.

The vesc on aliexpress are made using components sourced from the Chinese electronics market. They will never be able to guarantee they are using genuine parts as specified by vedders BOM. I know because I used to make vesc in China and they need various parts to be imported. They certainly will not be using the upgraded high tolerance parts we are now using. there is no point making vesc with cheap parts they just don’t stand up to the levels the majority of esk8 builders need.

If you are on a tight budget you can buy the old 4.12 version now for $89usd. It’s made using genuine parts from BOM. It’s made in the US. Tested before shipping & is in stock. http://www.enertionboards.com/electric-skateboard-parts/vesc-standard/

I get what your saying but I have yet to have issues with the Vescs I bought from Ali Express. Perhaps if your were to drop the price of the 4.12 to $80 and charge $115 for the new one and provide free shipping you would corner the USA Vesc market. The whole idea is to wipe out your VESC competitors. But what do I know, I am only simple business man with three successful startups.

1 Like

Why would he have to drop the price of the old vesc even more? It is already priced competitively.

The new Vesc x will probably lower in price after awhile and much more after the vesc 6 releases. Besides he setup a way for people to get $15 through referrals.