New Hummie Hubs!

Looking forward to thesešŸ˜€ the thought and time you clearly put into these is great to see.

1 Like

the communication here is productive for me.

hereā€™s the plan: these are on the printer now. Once they show a good fit between the holes on the hub of the motor and the magnet wires will make molds and pour them in a rare thermally conductive silicone I got a sample of! so the (3) 17awg single-strand magnet wires are coming out of the motor sheathed in this for I think 5mm and then it will be bare and can solder (skewer) the multi-strand wire and heat shrink there.

5 Likes

Am I part of the first 20šŸ˜… hopefully these are gunna be so nice

theres like 25 people I owe in total. I was roped into work for two weeks sub teaching but might bail on them and just do motors. I would rather be doing these than sub teaching with these particular brats especially. I will be taking off and doing this solely for a week at least. it seems like Iā€™m kinda doing nothing but really figuring how the doing will happen first last night pressed the motor on and it was another repeat of this crazy squeeze job. I even have to put the wye bundle on the other side of the stator to fit and thatā€™s assuming the best everything else goes where itā€™s supposed to. even my tool for winding has a scoop to hold the wires as close as possible one strand deep. this is a much better way out of the motor I think.

3 Likes

Well whenever you need payment lemme know Iā€™ll send it

tomooooorrrrrrooooooow! i know ā€¦i knowā€¦but honestly been stewing on how to do the little things which are so important like the wiring. the old motors that was their only weakness. We want some solid connections where if something were to disconnect it will be fixable and this way, youā€™ll see tomorrow, does that. also these stators are pressed on not glued so worst case scenario you could press it off to rewind. but we want none of that. reliability. trust me when I say I want the best and no corners were cut here. tomorrow. for sure. decisions decided but we will hear your feedback on things and then go with it and can kick them out quickly.

12 Likes

had repeated shortings with the final pressing of the stator on the hub! ok. ok. adjusting the plug design I use to wind to get the magnet wire transits between teeth more out of the way. theyā€™ve been getting crushed against a small lip on the hub pretty sure. printing it out, wind up another, solder the wye bundle, and press it on again, then check the inductance to make sure its all good, ā€¦then its good and can suck the resin in the windings to fix them solid and then bearings and rotor and c-clip on then screwed to the hanger and then the big nut and good. youā€™ll see. tonight. tonight.

thinking of bailing on the my job next week to get these done but regardless the week after Luke and I both have off and will be kicking them out

31 Likes

Beautiful work dude :shamrock:

1 Like

Motors, windingā€™s look choice :ok_hand: Hummie

1 Like

looking goodā€¦will the windings be getting a nice sparkling coat of epoxy ya

epoxy yes vacuumed in.

but being crazy. stupid. they fit fine if I donā€™t crush them with the arbor press. I just like squeezing them down it feels so good. and the idea of jamming as much meat in the can, enough power in the small box, and thermal paste with the copper to steel connection. and back to winding another with the new tool.

5 Likes

Holy guacamoleā€¦those are beautiful. I canā€™t wait to get my grubby mitts on a set

1 Like

@Hummie, i realize this initial batch is small and spoken for. Curious if youā€™re planning on selling these on a large scale in the future and what the timeline will look like for that. I would really like to get my hands on these in the future. Love your passion and penchant for quality and detail.

Holly mollyā€¦ this is gonna be somethingā€¦

very nice work pal

Looking forward to testing them. If snow is not gone by the time i get the motors ill get out and clean the streets myself :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™m looking for hub motors, I know you donā€™t have an ETA. Would you please PM me the cost and an approximate ETA?

Canā€™t wait to receive my set! This summer will be epic

1 Like

As soon as I move to Cali I am gonna track you down for one pair. Beautiful !! Please post some new vids !! :slight_smile:

bailed on work this week and maybe even next. all I need is to connect some focboxes and will have video up of these first two spinning. Over the last couple of days my arbor press has shorted 6 motors when I press the stators on but have figured how to get things wound right now with all the transits between teeth out of the way and nothing gets crushed when the motor pressed together. very syched for today. just need to get plugs on and connected and this pair spinning. from here on out building the motors seems figured and Iā€™m a winding magnet gluing machine. got it down. Iā€™ll post up video tonight for sure. haha.

anyone have any xt-60 plugs in the bay area? rather do this cleanly with the plugs that come on it.

6 Likes