New Hummie Hubs!

update on why I’m not riding yet or working on your motors: the big drum wrench is here and I’m cooking wheels now but also waiting for a lathe belt since I broke it at the local anarchist run workshop and need it to cut down a steel cylinder I have waiting to press the stators on. Belt is said to be here Tuesday

https://www.grizzly.com/order/opdetail/dmNQWisvbVl3ZmxhY1ZuUzZBamx3VjBaTjVCaG13WjhTa3FHSjVIc3NwTUZJMEhWekZBOWNZcjdIQ3M4S1lmRA2

mechanically the motors are all good just cant press the stators on without a custom cut thin steel cylinder to get by the windings and the center hub.

6 Likes

“We know where he lives boys get him!”

Thanks for the update Hummies.

Whats the timeline until the motors are in our hands?

haha.

for starters you should all know that everytime something ends up working out I’m relieved and this is largely new to me in many ways! but things are working out and parts are fitting together and all hurdles are being conquered.
I’ll need to get new rubber materials and magnets and thin winding epoxy to make all the motors that people paid for (i think 25 people) but otherwise I have everything, and those things are not hard to come by and at worst the magnets take a month since theyre custom made. But I do have ALL the materials to get at least 10 motors going as soon as the tool shows Tuesday. What will need to happen is I get these first ones out to whoever ordered first and then shouldn’t have trouble raising the bucks for the last magnets and order them immediately. … … I think my word as it relates to a timeline on these is mud by now but I think will have all the orders sent by 2 months at latest.

3 Likes

Soup or something else? :smiley: What are you doing exactly?

its 16 hours at 212F for both the wheel cores and the rubber mass. the prepolymer and curative come as a solid wax, liquid, or thick honey. gotta melt it down, mixed, and get it sucked into molds and baked. i’ll post some pics when I get hold of a nicer camera.

75 duro and 75% rebound stuff (was wrong about the duro and it’s 75), but ive got a slew of other kinds to try all the way up to an 85 duro without as nice rebound but intended for high heat. try that last. but cant test till Tuesday or Wednesday.

3 Likes

When you cook that do you have to do degassing after or not at all? Cooking 16 hours in that temperature is crazy! You have chemistry from BASF?

I degass after mixing the two components and then it goes into the mold. I know only what I want and how to follow the instructions.

The excitement is killing me, ordered these on November. But I hope the wait was worth it :wink::wink:

1 Like

I would love to see a few pics :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

1 Like

I think many of us would like that :wink:

4 Likes

off work today n yesterday cut steel tube down on a lathe so can press stators on with it. I’ll post up some video tonight or tomorrow at the latest of motors running. the wheels I ran out of the core resin and opted for a slower curing curative to give more time to get the carbon into it and that resin should be here tomorrow at latest they say. I know a lot of talk and no video or pics from me but give me a bit more time and once ive got two done the rest are just the follow through with the process really. a lot of stuff went into doing this as apposed to the past where the motors were made for me and the wheels were not nearly as complex to make. you’ll see soon! tonight I look forward to pressing it all together…it’ll be good.

9 Likes

Do you have an ETA on when the hub motors will ship? Not rushing you, just curious.

2 Likes

6 days ago. Can. Hardly. Wait. :wink:

I’m in for a set as said earlier any idea when I’d get mine?

cant figure the best way to attach the motor leads. it has to be done really well with the magnet wires to motor lead junction needing to be really thin and in the right spot if done in the motor.
lately its seeming much easier to accomplish this by having the magnet wire stick out of the motor and do the connection outside. I have a 3d printer and am trying to come up with a protector that can hold the magnet wire in the center of the holes coming out and then I can solder and shrink wrap the leads there. there’s very little room in the motor and none for a bulky twisting silicone lead

1 Like

Any clue where I am in the order list

no clue but as I say it’s really just figuring how to get it done right that’s the slow part. ive got pieces galore just need to get them together

1 Like

In for the gb 26 days ago any ideas on timeline not rushing just curious

well someone should rush me then. all the parts are here and the bottleneck is me. i’m kinda obsessive on design and details to the point things can get stalled.
I’ll simplify the holdup. the motor is still very densely packed and no room for soldered on phase wires to lay and all the magnet wire is butted right up to the motor wall. I wanted it that way to transfer the heat direct from windings to low carbon steel, the only obstacle is the magnet wire connections to phase wires really have to be out of the motor as what happens is when I solder them on in advance and then when I press the stator on the slightest turn in the silicone phase wires ends up a kink and the stator is blocked from being pushed all the way. so the magnet wires will be coming out of the motor, there will be high temp plastic straws around them as they come out, and the soldered connection will happen there.
so thinking out loud. it’s weird but in the past the one way motors ever broke was the phase wires would wear even through the 3 layers of heatshrink and short through the hub with the holes in it. and once that happens you could rewind it but a huge pain. at least easier with this design and anyone can take the motors off with an allen wrench and open them with a 20$ c-clip tool. but the point is its crucial it’s done right. I imagine the large majority of all our motors that stop working, hub or not, are having problems with these wires shorting or breaking from their soldered magnet wire connection. a hub motor even more so needs protection.

I ramble on but it’s productive putting things into words and i’m sure there are many of you who are ready to come to my address written above!

8 Likes

Take your time to make them perfect. I’m currently rolling around on an old set of your hubs. Well actually I got them brand new from a member on here and I just love them. They’re my second set of hummies as the first I Burned up as they were 200kv running 10s

2 Likes