New Esk8 App for iOS and Android

I don’t really understand how can React be an issue here. React is a framework, it does what you tell it to do. In React Native, all the resources are embedded within the app. I don’t get why you would absolutely need a fast wifi connection to make it work properly ?

@ZackoryCramer I believe @b264 is talking about React Native, a way to make multi-os apps (iOS and Android) using React.

Yea, I figured out later that “React” was a framework. I thought it was a library. :stuck_out_tongue:

Being native, you have to test it on a handset. It communicates to the handset over the local network only and can’t be coerced to just use the internet or IP addresses or DNS. So you can’t run the application on your phone to test it without being on the same router as your computer. Which I don’t have my house set up that way. And frankly, it shouldn’t matter because, you know, they way the internet works and stuff…

So, it’s a flaw in the framework. If you fix the framework, I will gladly help with this. Or if you want to come rewire my house and put a router in. I just use gigabit Ethernet and Cellular. Which means my phone and my computer are on two different sub-networks, but both are connected to the internet.

No other frameworks have this problem except React Native, which is the one Brad chose to use.

Got it, that makes sense. This is only for testing or debugging though, that’s why I didn’t understand. How does Xamarin or Ionic handles that then ? Plug your phone in via USB ?

They use the internet and IP addresses / DNS lookups…

instead of, for example, http://localhost:5600 or ws://192.168.1.6:80 or something like that

1 Like

Who is using React Native? http://facebook.github.io/react-native/showcase.html

He lives ! How ya doing man ? How are those two projects you’re working on ?

Good. I decided I’ll never have a long period of time to finish the app. So I’ll just start attacking it in small chunks at a time.

3 Likes

Nice. Any chance you wanna commit to git and then see what else we can add to the party to help yet??? Pull requests all around I’m sure.

4 Likes

Thanks dude. I’m going to check out the skeleton as soon as I can!

1 Like

has the app been released yet?

1 Like

Well considering the last commit was dec 10, I think it may have taken the backburner, but I too am wondering this.

1 Like

It looked really cool

1 Like

How do I use this code on my iPhone?

The app looks really good and I really want to try it out

The react framework is broken so I couldn’t help. If I got a day job using react I might fix it, but I use ionic at work.

Also I don’t make stuff for apple anyway. Android or bust

3 Likes

So there’s now way to use it on iOS?

Is there an app for ackmaniac on iOS?

1 Like