New Builder: I don't know where to start!

You need trucks that will fit a motor mount. Most likely Caliber II.

You’re about my weight. Depending on the size of those hills, I think you’ll have a tough time with a budget under 800.

Yep, most motor mounts sold are for caliber trucks, so you might wanna get caliber trucks. And your weight and hills. Probably duals. And also, what range are you looking at?

Alright, but i checked their website and they don’t ship to Canada (actually, a lot of the online suppliers I’ve looked at don’t ship to Canada). I know I should be going dual, but given my budget, I don’t know if that could fit within it! :sweat_smile:

I’m probably looking for 15km range ( ~9.32 miles).

I don’t live in a very hilly city, just a few slight inclines. I feel like a single drive should do the trick, especially if i get an R-spec from Enertion. What would you say a budget of $800 CAD would include?

This is not true. As he said, he doesn’t care about speed, so a high gearing ratio would do the trick for him.

1 Like

I honestly just need something that can take the weight of me plus a backpack. In regards to the gearing ratio, having a higher ratio would mean a bit more torque, right?

Big single motor

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__18129__Turnigy_Aerodrive_SK3_6374_192kv_Brushless_Outrunner_Motor.html

I was looking into that one, but I don’t know if they’ll ship to Canada :weary:

they do, i have the exact same one from hobby king. They have warehouses in the US too, so make sure to get your order from as close as possible. Also, if using HK, make sure you pack your order into 1, shipping is quite expensive otherwise.

1 Like

Yeah, if you’re looking for low speed and not too much range, you could do it with that. I just worry that you’ll want more later on and wish you’d done more, but that’s just me :slight_smile: We’re here to help either way!

I just built a single motor for $900 CAD, but I spent $210 on the board alone. You can spend a lot less for the board. I shipped a bunch of stuff to the US and picked up through a “ship-to-the-border” service and payed maybe $20 to the US service that accepts the packages for a TON of stuff from eBay and Amazon.com. It definitely saved a lot of brokerage, international shipping and duty fees and the person at the border was nice too! Message me if you have any questions or I can tell you what I bought and where I bought stuff! Good luck!

1 Like

Well, the beauty of it all is that if I do want more, it should be simple enough too add more in. That’s the main reason I chose DIY over a pre-built. It’s probably gonna take a few months though, I’m a full time student so freetime is limited! I really do appreciate the help, though!

1 Like

research extensively before you buy Check out this thread for commonly used parts.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m looking to invest in a good board first (I’m willing to spend $210 on a board tbh). What service did you use?

1 Like

I’m a full time student too! I used kinek.com and got the stuff shipped to Niagara Falls since I’m from near Hamilton. I think you can find the closest location to you on the website.

1 Like

My program is pretty intensive, so there isn’t a bunch of time to do other things (also, I was inferring I don’t have a lot of money at the moment :wink: ) . Niagara would be the closest since I’m from Toronto so I’ll keep it in mind when I do start ordering parts! Thanks :smile:

I would definitely say a board in your price range is doable. I build a single drive of similar specs to you for 400-450. That was without the price of a deck. So including a decent deck that puts you at around 550. Definitely doable.

1 Like

Where do you go to school? I’m at Mac Engineering but I built the board in the summer :slight_smile:

I’m at Humber for Product Design! I don’t know if or when I will be making the board, but at this point its just research!