Need help - dead VescX and 3 dead vesc

could be a cold solder joint some place…i was getting that on one board…everything looked good…till i really dug around,the positive wire to the post was all jacked up and causing an intermittent disconnection till it stopped working

1 Like

On a vesc? This has happened on 2 sets of dual vescs. Was that the main positive connection?

it was,but it could be cold soldered at any soldered spot…just shooting out suggesting as to find the reason…that was my issue…yours could be different…i like going from simple to difficult

1 Like

and the other reason could be a shorted motor…

2 Likes

appreciate that bud. Cheers

1 Like

its like seeing one of our soldiers down lol

@onloop waiting over a week for a response from your website bud. Can you shed any light on this?

For shitz and giggles, how was your CAN bus connected? Did you solder wires on the CAN bus connector?

Hi blasto. No I didn’t solder them, I hot glued them in place.

My dead vescs :frowning: The one to the right of the vescx died from the firmware bug. The rest as described above.

Not sure i understand, you hot glued just the wires to the pins or you used a connector?

Were those bullets completly isolated from each other?

The Vesc X died from a software issue? Care to explain?

Think that was a typo… the vesc to the right

I used a connector - bought it from ollinboards with 2 of his motors. I used hotglue to hold these in place. The motor bullets are well insulated - I use a cable gland entry like this.

It keeps pressure on the connectors and keeps them well away from each other. I use heat shrink on the connectors then push them into this. No the vesc to the right of the vesc x did. It had the issue described herehttp://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/vesc-faq-firmware-bug-pre-august-2016-please-upgrade/8018 Vesc-X was being used as a slave unit on canbus. Was braking slowly from about 20km/hr when the board just went dead :’( Under braking as I’m sure the first one did. Hard to say as I had a bad connection on a motor - I thought this must have somehow fried the first lot - open phase - circulating currents with no where to go under braking?

With the second pair, I had resoldered all the motor connections, silicon wire to phase wire and did not experience the braking/cogging issue I had before yet symptons look the same. powers the reciever but no lights on the vesc, no connection to BLDC tool and that nasty tell tale smell of magic smoke being released.

@Jebe thats terrible luck man… totally feel for you…so frustrating

Thanks crazy man!, I don’t understand how could this happen with those conservative VESC settings.

Have you checked the current ramp value?

I had issues when writting VESC settings more than once reseting to default values, when it happened I clicked on write and the inmediately clicked on disconnect/reboot too fast, even before VESC was able to write/save the information.

Batt min (regen) was -20 (-40 for dual) instead of -10 (-20 for dual), all PPM settings, motor max and min were default as well.

So, I’d suggest to read the settings before unplugging the USB from both VESCs just verify.

The other thing you could do it buy a bluetooth modu;e and datalog at least your first complete ride.

BTW I use -10A bat min (regen) for each VESC not -12A as you

1 Like

I had a problem with RSpec phase wires not well insulated and that caused a vesc to fail. I suggest to check the wires that go into the motor, if they’re properly insulated and to shrinkwrap them if they are not

I found the same thing, blamed that for the first pair failing, removed resoldered and re-insulated all phase wires. :confused: Still don’t understand how it could take BOTH vesc’s out. I dont want to use these motors again. Have 2 ollinboard 200kv motors.

Just need that wider caliber hanger @torqueboards Thanks for all the input guys.

1 Like

Current ramp is 0.04 - not increasing like that dodgy firmware revision caused.

1 Like

If you had a short at first. The possibilities for overheating the motor (if you had try to run it with the short still on) and create second short over the winding is there… I’m pretty sure you have a dead motor and like a zombie will continue to eat the brain of each new vesc you put on it, so you might want to change it before trying another vesc.

4 Likes