My first build ( d-kay) (any help is welcome)

hey all I am looking to build an electric skataboard that would beat evolve. After doing some research I desided on using these motors in dual drive. Please leave any comments on them. KEDA 63-64 190KV Brushless Outrunner 10S 2000W I am buying them at hobby king. Does anyone know where I could get them cheaper or other motors with about the same specs that are cheaper? I live in Belgium. https://hobbyking.com/en_us/kd-53-30-high-voltage-brushless-outrunner-190kv.html Furthermore I have some questions on bateries. 1: does the discharge in Ah go up if you connect bateries in series or in parallel? 2: if you connect two the same batteries in parallel does it double the outcoming voltage? at the moment I am thinking about putting two packs of two of these bateries in parallel. is that a goed idea or does anyone have a better posibility? could you tell me how to charge al these bateries at once?

Could someone please tell me what I should use an ESC or VESC and how to connect them? Could you also tell me witch ESC or VESC I schould use.

at last does anyone know a goed controller with buttons ( as the evolve gt controller )for the board so I can program different speed modes?

Thanks in advance for your help.

i forgot to mention witch batteries. it are those

1 Like

Hey dude,

I have that same motor on my board that I’ve been using for the last few weeks. It’s great pulls me up any hill I come to although I do have a 3:1 gear ratio. The only complaint about this motor is that I don’t think it is actually 190kv. I am running it on 6s now 5s because one of the cells died and I get 22kmh. The Speed calc I used said I should only get about 18kmh so I think it is around 230kv

Yo what? [quote=“pat.speed, post:3, topic:26197”] one of the cells died [/quote]

How TF do you just “run it on 5S” pretty sure it doesn’t work that way homie. (unless it’s a Liion?)

@d-kay In response to your questions.

1. Parallel
  2. No
  3. I’d recommend going a little deeper into the forum hint* use the search button and find some older threads asking about how batteries work. With an hour of time you should have a very good grasp on exactly what system you should get. just from looking at what you have postied I’d recommend looking up stuff about 10S Lipo systems
1 Like

What I meant is that one of my LiPo cells got over discharged so I opened the pack up and disconnected the bad cell and resolved the other 2 back together so now I have a 2s and a 3s in series to give 5s. Sorry for hijackjng your thread a bit. @Challlsss is right about the other stuff though

Looks like that motor you found is out of stock. Unfortunately, a fair price for 63mm motors starts around $65. Hobbyking seems to be out of all their 63mm motors at the moment, but you can find some decent ones from or from Ollinboards. I’m sure someone else can chime in for some more options!

1 Like

It is in stock but is only available in Aus lucky me😉

@pat.speed Wow man props. When my cell died I got scared to use it so I took a hammer and nail poked a hole and filmed it haha.

Hah nice I’m gonna do that with 2 bad cells I have just need to find somewhere safe to do it

thank you for the information I will caclculate that in.

how do you connect two ESC’s or VESC’s

how do I double the volts @Challlsss

or enlargen it @Challlsss

@d-kay you should research some more on batteries and connecting them in series vs parallel there is a ton of information on the forum and on the internet in general about this. You shouldn’t mess with these batteries if you don’t know what you’re dealing with just buy a prebuilt pack that is made for what you want (you’ll still need to have a basic understanding to make an informed purchase).

The answer to your specific question is you add more batteries in series or more cells in series to increase the voltage (stack a couple of AA batteries together an use a voltmeter to see, can also do them in parallel, use some foil and tape can make simple connections to test things with lower voltage safe® stuff). A battery is really just a collection of cells in series (S) or parallel §, with LiPo chemistry the cells have a fully charged voltage of 4.2V and are typically mostly drained at 3.7V. Min voltage per cell is actually around 3V but there can easily be a half volt sag while the battery is under load (supplying power to the motor). Typically RC enthusiasts who want their batteries to last will only usually drain 80% of the total capacity of the battery to avoid dropping any individual cell in the pack below the minimum safe voltage.

When you put batteries in parallel you don’t increase the voltage (they are just both applying their voltage to the lines their attached to), but you are drawing current through both the batteries so you increase the amount of current you can safely draw if you have more cells or batteries in parallel (you also add the Ah in parallel, in series you are only adding voltage not Ah, can think of Ah as amount of fuel in the tank, measured in terms of how much current you can draw for how long before empty). The RC style LiPos are typically rated with a C rating, the C rating relates max safe amperage drawn from the battery to the capacity of the battery. A 5Ah battery with a 20C rating can have 5*20 = 100A current load on it.

For the most part the safety concerns are if you short things out the battery will deliver that 100A+ through whatever is shorting and quickly turn whatever is in the path into vapor (releasing a lot of light and heat in the process, or worse the battery itself goes up). So if you do start working on the batteries or taking off leads be sure you know what you’re doing, you can also buy premade series connectors or parallel connectors to join the batteries together if you aren’t confident in your knowledge of working on the batteries (it’s somewhat high voltage stuff and you’re probably going to need to solder it which means you’re dealing with melting lead/tin on live leads).

Edited a few times to add some details, just added link as well for more explanation on batteries and various chemistries available. https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/battery-technologies?_ga=2.120028872.1972349059.1498586180-994420620.1490732809

1 Like

I am thinking about using 10s2p richt now

Do your research. You will thank yourself later when you realize how many mistakes you avoided.

I have a question how do you improve the amount of amp hours without enlargening the amount of current flow or the amount of volts @Challlsss

amp hours is the size of the battery. You can’t change that

Did you read the previous link (if so read the definitions again)? Amp hours (Ah) is the capacity of the battery nothing to do with how fast that current flows out of the battery (the current) or how big the electrical potential is on the battery (voltage). If you have a simple circuit with just a battery and resistor in series the current through the circuit is the Voltage over the resistance (Ohm’s law), that’s to say you increase the voltage then you increase the current given constant resistance. When you connect batteries or cells in parallel you increase the total capacity without increasing the voltage. Since you are drawing the current out of more cells if you have them in parallel you are pulling less amps from the individual cells so you can pull more from the battery as a whole than if there were no cells in parallel.

The current through (in and out) some segment of a circuit sums to 0 (generally) so if you have 2 batteries in series and you have 10A flow through both batteries in order for that 10A to go into the rest of the circuit. If you had those 2 batteries in parallel then each battery could supply 5A of the current to make 10A flowing into whatever is hooked up to the battery pack. But if you have a constant resistance and you increase or decrease the voltage then you will increase or decrease the amps that flow through the circuit.

Long story short:

Parallel = increase the amp hours (capacity), also typically increases max current you could pull without the batteries heating up. If you have two 5Ah 10V batteries in parallel you have the equivalent of a 10Ah 10V battery.

Series = increase the voltage, the amps are drawn from all cells at the same time though so you don’t add any capacity this way. If you have two 5Ah 10V batteries in series you have the equivalent of 1 20V 5Ah

I should add with regard to the increasing voltage with a eskateboard or something where you’re powering a motor is typically going to mean it needs to draw less current to do the work it needs to do. You get your wattage as a product of the current and voltage so if you have higher voltage you need less current to get the same power (Watts). The motor load isn’t a simple resistor but just wanted to explain the relationship between amps volts and resistance I = V/R.

thank you verry much @wafflejock thats excactly what I needed to know. I had a misunderstanding of the current flow. I read somewhere that the current output of a battery is the amount of Ah times C so I thougt my battery would overpower the motors or would have little to no output. 11.1 volt 2000mAh -10C 2000 milliamps = 2 amps 2 Amps x 10 = 20 amps continuous discharge