My E-board-ginity, The First of builds!

@lox897 Wow combined 20.000mAh I don’t even know if i need that much, they see way to big to fit under a board?, Also whould the 10C not result in a really slow board?

I’m not really sure but I think the max that battery can put out is 200amp but you don’t always have to pull that much. 20000mah should get you what you want. Let the other guys chime in with their opinions.

1 Like

No. It was combined 10000mah to get 20000mah (20ah) Sorry didn’t see the 10c most people aim for 20-30c

yep, you’d have two groups of 3s in parallel (10,000mah). Those tow groups in series (adding the voltage) will give you 6s equivalent voltages.

if you want that kind of compacity, you can always just go with two 10,000mah 3s batteries, rather than four 5,000mah ones. This would cut down on all that wiring, and you’d only have to charge two batteries instead of four!

also, the 200 amp thing won’t hurt your esc. In the rc world, I used to run a battery with over 100c’s on a 50amp 10th scale esc… there are plenty of people (who race rc cars) who will have lipos with a burst rating of over 250c, and a constant of 200ish. it’s totally fine.

Milage will vary based on the following (so if you list them out, we can give you a pretty good idea of how far you will go per charge) weight gearing dual motor or single motor hills total mah

Side note: is your goal 16-20km, or 16-20 miles? just wondering because us 'mericans use our stupid units that are based on 10’s, 12’s, 3’s, and 5280’s all at the same time…

1 Like

Super informative THANKS! :smile:

Milage wise I need a min. of 16 miles on a single charge. Weight: 80kg (176 lb.) Gearing: very open to suggestions, I was loking around, and it seems like 16/36 is the way to go? (PURE guesswork) Single motor: R-SPEC Enertion 190kv Hills: few and not very steep Total mAh: well that’s what I’m trying to find out…

The gearing can be determined only when you know the other variables. Wheel diameter, motor kv, voltage. Desired top speed.

I wrote a detailed article about it:

I suggest going higher voltage. But then you will need a VESC. Which I highly recommend.

1 Like

ya, for a 175 pound guy on a single motor, I’d either go higher voltage, or drop your gearing… the thread @onloop linked is really helpful, so definitely look at that first (if you haven’t already).

Right now on my board, I am running a 10s with one enertion r-spec and 13/36 gearing; the main difference is I only weight around 140 pounds (I’m 16 year old kid so…)

Also, 190kv on 6s is going to be very slow… I once ran mine on 15/36 gearing (on 6s) and I couldn’t hit above 16 miles per hour. also, the motor was pretty hot after just a small ride, as the lower voltages (and higher gearing…) will lead to a higher amp draw by the motor, which means hotter temps.

if you are dead set on going for 6s, I would (personally) look for a higher kv motor to then gear down. It is always better to gear down a fast motor than gear up a slower but more powerful one. I feel like with your current 190kv setup idea, you will either be stuck with moping around at 12-15 miles per hour, or gearing it faster and burning out your motor…

The easiest thing though would be to get a VESC and go higher voltage. With higher voltage you wouldn’t need as many milli amp hours (mah) because your motor is drawing less amps, and taking advantage of higher voltages instead.

Hope all this helps, and doesn’t make your brain explode… lol good luck!

You would be fine with 10c. You shouldn’t notice a big difference since we actually don’t pull anywhere near 200 amps.

Calculate the Watt Hours divide by 10wh and * .61 miles. That will get you a range which is usually a lot less then what you can get.

Go for 230-260KV for a 6S setup, Gear up as needed as cmatson mentioned.

I’m using those Multistar 10ah 4s batteries and they are 10c. Seem to be fine.

This is not a 20Ah 6S setup. This wiring diagram will give you the equivalent of a 10Ah 6S pack (that’s what i run on my beater board), which is somewhere around 220 Wh as Volts x Amp Hours will give you Watt Hours.

You have 2 3S 5Ah packs in series, that gives you 6S (22.2 volts nominal) at 5Ah. Then you take those two sides and combine them in parallel to get 6S @ 10Ah. In series, voltage doubles. In parrallel, Amp hours double.

The good news is that you can combine the balance charge leads and use the mains output as discharge and charge with a standard 6S charger. That means you can make a charge cable and seal your box in and not have to deal with the battery wiring when charging.

2 Likes

You just answered the question i was about to ask, thanks! (I was wondering whether or not I would be able to charge on a single port, if i merged the balance ports). From the other comments i gathered I’d need higher voltage so I made some calculations, and i think I’m going to go with 2x 4s 8000mAh 30C instead. This would give me an approximate range of 1+hour at 17+mph, which would satisfy my range need :slight_smile:

That sounds about right as long as you’re under… say… 160 pounds or so. I’m 155 and I get about an hour out of my 10Ah 6S when keeping it around 15 on average and only bursting up to 25+ when i see a cyclist that needs to be annoyed. 8S should land you right where you expect it to.

There are soo much planning that goes into picking components, it’s so damn hard to keep track of. I think I finally got the essentials. I know some of you guys here are sticklers for components. So this is what I’ve come to:

Still not sure I got all the cable connecters I need but i guess I’ll find out :stuck_out_tongue:

not hating on enertion, but don’t buy the trucks, wheels, or lipo charger from them.

you can get the real caliber trucks (which is even better, and come in some sick colors… like seriously, just look’em up) for less than enertion’s knockoff versions if you look on amazon or ebay.

the wheels are just knockoff 83mm flywheels: you can get those for around $25-30 on ebay (you can get any color too), or the real ones for about $70 on abec’s website.

You can get a lipo charger from hobbyking for under $50 that will do the same thing enertion’s does too… I have one from amazon that is really solid and it was $45… looks just like enertion’s too.

to be honest, with the money you’d save doing the things I pointed out (about $100-110), you could just switch your batter to a space cell, and forget the lipo charger and lipos all together… plus, you board would be about 100x better.

adding 325 for a space cell taking away 35ish saved on wheels and trucks taking away 210ish for a charger and batteries take away 4.50 for a voltage alarm (built into space cell) take away 60 for switch (built into space cell) take away the misc xt90 plugs balancing plug because the space cell already comes with an xt60 that matches the one that comes with the VESC.

so I think your build might become 10$ more expensive, or 10$ cheaper after adding a space cell, but it would litterally be SOOO much better… Higher voltages are always better for efficiency, motor temps, speed, and torque; especially since you are going with a single motor build.

again, not hating on enertion stuff: Jason makes some badass mounts and electronics (hense why I am recommending the space cell as your best option) … just get your skate stuff elsewhere.

good luck man!

1 Like

First of all, thank so for taking you time to look at this!

I have looked at all the parts you described (Maybe i looked in the wrong places?) and the thing is that shipping to Denmark is insanely expensive, but with Enertion the shipping is free. The changes you suggest would actually increase the cost by more than 100$ Making the switch (Battery-wise) would cost me approximately 25$ more (definitely a lot less then I thought, I’m considering upgrading now) bringing my total over a whopping 1000$

I think our American cousins don’t realize how hard it can be to get certain parts outside of the US.

1 Like

ahh, I didn’t realize you were in denmark…

so ya, just go enertion because of the shipping. I was looking on Ebay at the wheels and trucks I suggested, and shipping was going to be over $40 to denmark. Most of them had free US shipping, and like I said, I didn’t realize you weren’t in the states!

and believe me man, the battery upgrade is completely worth it: the performance difference is like night and day. You definitely won’t regret it.

Ya, us 'mericans usually just assume everyone lives in the US, and therefore, always suggest US specific deals…

haha I just didn’t realize he was in Denmark!

1 Like

Thanks for the tip I’m sure I end up upgrading to the space cell now :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Krudte whaaaat, so im not the only danish E-board builder! :o. How far did you get in your build, and are you by any chance from Odense or Copenhagen?