My battery pack turned into fireworks

I said what I said in a kind and courteous manner, I then explained what I said in a kind and courteous manner. Not sure what the problem is here, but whatever. Good luck and have a nice day.

2 Likes

he said that to try to keep you and your belongings (and family) safe…

not sure why your mad :thinking:

1 Like

Guys you are being ridiculous - the configuration he used seems perfectly fine and there is no reason to blame him. I am pretty sure that what happened here could have happened to everyone of us and it is a good thing to have people tell these stories.

@Quezacotl please don’t get discouraged - it seems some of us have taken this thread the wrong way.

8 Likes

I never said the strategy was bad, just think he made a tiny mistake and led to a fire. if you decide to keep going, please make sure to insulate everything twice

Well then I encourage you to make a pack like that lol

Come on dude, clever has its place, this isn’t it

I’m not saying the OP should give up and never touch a cell again, just that there are best practices and they should be followed.

Find 1 battery sold that looks like that or even another made by anybody that looks like that

1 Like

Then tell a better configuration for two layer, about square pack consisting of 30 cells as 10S3P? I couldn’t think but couple of different, other as what i made and other same but all parallels as triangles. Of course one layer is easier, or two layer long pack.

I’ll build a pack with this configuration later today, 1 fold, leads come out the same end, exterior side of the pack

2 Likes

That’s the same as mine. But what’s with replicating it?

is there a nice summary somewhere? There are a bunch of topics that would be cool to have in a esk8 wiki. For noobs such as me it is incredibly hard to gather some basic info sometimes as these threads tend to get really cluttered and often have like 1000 replies lol

5 Likes

You can start with ebikeschool, batteryuniversity

How I built mine. In love with fish paper. Kapton really won’t protect from almost any mechanical wear though, so if a nickel strip moves, it will tear a whole in several layers of Kapton in an instant.

2 Likes

Too many people thought the battery shorted when he folded it. That itself says a lot about the battery builders here.

4 Likes

Nobody has had to fold over a single cell to complete a P group so it was an interesting mess to decipher

Don’t be dramatic. That’s not the WORST thing to say. Just take it as @mmaner wanting to make sure you don’t burn down your place, family, neighbors.

2 Likes

it still might have shorted when he folded it or because of the fold and theres no assurance of anything that happened. those corners of the nickel couldve come under or through some insulation because of the fold. I think that’s still the most likely reason.

If the fold caused the short, it would’ve happened imediantly. I’m not sure how you could argue against that. It caught fire while charging. It was a fresh battery pack. Since it hadn’t even been used yet, there’s no evidence to suggest that mechanical wear caused a short either.

The main clue is that it happend while charging.

1 Like

There is no folding with parallel groups, only series. But anyways, it doesn’t hurt to add an additional insulation also there :slight_smile:

That’s true. But just because his battery pack caught fire, doesn’t mean we should automatically assume he’s a simpleton. Some of the language here has been patronising. I don’t remember this type of talk when @eboosted board caught fire.

@Quezacotl was nice enough to share his misfortune despite any possible embarrassment so that we might learn from his mistake (assuming we can find out what caused it).

We should be helping each other and we do most of the time.

7 Likes

“what” caused it is impossible to tell at this point without a video of it being built to when it caught fire. While it is a “working” configuration, meaning yes you have a 10S battery it is inherently danger and risk prone where it should not be, and it’s simpler for it not to be