Motors for gear drive

More like a ridiculously heavy chunk of metal… I am always worried I will drop it on my foot… Not joking…

1 Like

How can you fix problems with allignment?

Firstly I need a CNC mount and I need to modify the truck to make everything nice and square… But as it is I am totally burnt out trying to get this to work for the past month or more…

I used 2kgs of filament prototyping, lots of time and money too… About to give up honestly

1 Like

Maybe you could use CNC trucks and make your own mount?

What are CNC trucks? You mean custom trucks?

Anyway I changed back to Spurs… Because the alignment is less sensitive they are actually quieter than my helicals… (Also metal on plastic vs metal on metal).

Will need some real world testing to see if it holds up…

4 Likes

Yeah I meant that or just regular precision trucks.

Is what you have similar to FatBoy Mini Drive Train 1:3 - ESK8 Mechanics - Electric Skateboard Builders Forum | Learn How to Build your own E-board

I wanted to make something like this but I didn’t know where to start.

My plan was to design a geared drive for caliber II and Torqueboard 218mm trucks, why? Because I use both of them and they are very commonly used trucks in the esk8 community.

As such I’m very hesitant to spend any more time and money to invest in another set of trucks, let along custom make some…

As for comparing to the Fatboys, well… functionally sure they are similar… build quality wise mine are light years BEHIND… I would love to get me some Fatboy drives but that firstly will cost a fair bit and secondly will take the fun out of building my own.

1 Like

Yeah very costly… :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

I would love to test those gear drives out one day :slight_smile:

I agree with this. But sometimes I like testing other peoples things :slight_smile: . I am working on something similar but its not a gear drive.

I am considering releasing the STLs after I do more testting so people can make their own… It’s pretty straight forward… Just a matter of how comfortable you are with plastic parts instead of metal.

3 Likes

After a bit of testing I wouldn’t mind taking it to the machines! :slight_smile:

The design looks interesting, I haven’t really looked into gear drive since people mostly use it for off road builds and thats not for me at the moment.

You have access to a CNC? I been dying to find some place that will help me CNC at very low quantities but without breaking the bank…

Geared drive for on road builds are awesome too… Other than them being louder than belts I cannot think of why I would go back to belts…

Btw, I am making a larger version for my MTB…

1 Like

I’m in love @ervinelin

I’d love an option for 90mm flywheels. This is definitely peaking my interest

3 Likes

Sure, I’ve already ridden maybe 50km with this version on 90mm flywheels… but I need better prints for higher durability… Might go with some nylon prints for the motor mount and HP fusion for the gears…

Give me a few more weeks to test everything…

2 Likes

That’s awesome. Me and my buddy can likely mill the wheel spur and casing out of hdpe or pom easily.

POM works great for gears. And I’m almost done with a spud/potato build on dual 5045 on calibers. So yea I’ll be watching this… as I just put the Fatboy mini on my Evo with spurs

1 Like

I have vigorously asked many cnc factories in China and there’s many that will give respectable prices at lower quantities

Problem is… I need like… ONE piece… at most 3…

I found someone locally that’s willing to help, but I’m waiting for the results…

Lower quantities are like 10 it isn’t too much

If I release my STLs can you mill me some for personal consumption? Haha!

1 Like

I agree, but unless I do a group buy I won’t ever need 10 pieces…

Maybe I’ll do like a community mass development thing… not sure what you call it…

1 Like

Yea man no problem. if you want a set made from pom or hdpe message @SORRENTINO or I to CNC them if you want a solid plastics instead of a print. :slight_smile:

1 Like