Motor stuttering when I try to accelerate - where's my problem?

Haha I have a couple other VESCs but they both have DRV faults

Ah I remember, from your stint with FOC right?

Exactly. I haven’t had the best of luck when it comes to VESCs… If you’re free anytime next week @Jinra I’d seriously consider buying that spare VESC off of you! hahaha

Unfortunately I just sold it, sorry! It could still be your motor, I know another guy who had issues with the R-spec doing something similar.

Ah darn! Looks like the only way to figure out my problem might be to get a new VESC huh?

I have spare motors you could try hooking up to it if you could make it out to either South city or my work in SF (near AT&T park). If my motors work it might just be your r-spec.

Yeah I might take you up on that offer, that’s really kind of you. Thank you! I’m currently just finishing up my finals at Cal, so once I’m done a quick Bart trip from Berkeley to AT&T park would be pretty easy!

No problem, just shoot me a PM whenever and I’ll bring my motors with me.

1 Like

Hey everybody, I’ve decided to revive my board and I bit the bullet and ordered a new FOCbox from Enertion while my other VESC is getting fixed. The problem is, this FOCbox didn’t change anything. Maybe I’m doing something wrong in the setup, but here’s another video showing my issues I’m still having with motor stuttering. @Jinra @JohnnyMeduse @Namasaki @treenutter your vast wealth of knowledge and wisdom would be very, very much appreciated if you have the time!

2 Likes

Does the motor have resistance when you roll it by hand?

No, it rolls just like it did when the board was working a few months ago.

Try doing a BLDC detection and seeing if it does the same thing.

Just did, also says bad detection result received. Could it be the parameters I’ve set in the BLDC tool?

try upping some of the detection paramters such as min erpm, low duty, and current.

What should I use as a benchmark for those?

try .1 low duty, 1200 erpm, and 6-10 amps on BLDC detection.

Darn, still the same result, the motor just spins and stutters faster.

yea… you probably need a new motor.

My guess is one of the phase wires isn’t connected properly. Try tapping two leads together and see if the rotor can provides resistance with all combinations.

Damn. I thought as much. I really liked that motor, and Enertion doesn’t make one anymore… Any recommendations on alternatives that have similar power, speed and torque?