Motor stuttering when I try to accelerate - where's my problem?

A disconnected phase wire will cause stuttering. A shorted phase wire will blow your Vesc. Your risking a lot will all those bare phase wires so close together. Wrapping phase wires together is not necessarily a good connection. Anyway, the last guy we helped with this problem found a loose phase wire inside his motor. I’m suspecting the same problem here.

Ok, let me disconnect the VESC from the motor and make sure they never short. Thanks for the warning. Just to be clear, you’re suggesting I remove the motor from the board, take it apart and see if I can find a disconnected phase wire anywhere inside? It sounds like my problem is very similar to the other guy with the same issue.

Wait, before you take the motor apart, do you have a multimeter

No I don’t unfortunately!

If you had a multimeter you could easily test for disconnected phase wires. You should get one, it is an essential tool for this hobby

Damn, that would make my life a lot easier hahaha

All you would have to do is test for continuity between the 3 phase wires while disconnected from the Vesc

I don’t know if it’s the picture, but it look like something is shorting your transistor (between the first and second pin)

1 Like

Do these photos help at all?

Yeah look like a short, maybe you could use a small knife, and try to remove the small metal beads between pad 1 and 2

@JohnnyMeduse Just removed the little solder ball but I still get the same result…

Probably it as damage one of the mosfet :anguished:

You should be able to test for broken phase wires without a multimeter. Just touch any of the two leads together to see if the motor ‘brakes’, and repeat with the other lead. If all combinations ‘brake’ then it should be all connected.

1 Like

Is that with the battery connected? What kind of configuration does that require?

Everything disconnected, the motor will be harder to turn when any two phase leads are touching (without power)

Good idea @Jinra Why didn’t I think of that?

You’re totally right, the motor does brake when two wires are touching. The problem is, every single combination of two wires touching together makes the motor brake! So I guess the problem is, that’s not the problem? Kind of a good problem to have I guess, at least we know the motor is working!

Perhaps this has something to do with it?

Nope, I set tat thread straight and still the same issue. I also soldered all the naked wired to the VESC and e-taped them up to prevent a short and still the motor stutters… It’s looking more and more like a VESC issue.

I’m guessing you dont have any spare motors/vescs to narrow the issue down?