MKV3 - Carvon 2.5v Dual 97mm | VESCs | 10S4P Li-ion

Good to hear!

Does the second charger (that charges at 41.2v) stop at 41.2 or does it go all the way to 42?

It stops at 41.2v, ~95%, it charges the battery very slowly (36w vs 130w of the 3A charger) so I usually leave it overnight. That should help increasing battery life too

I wanted to make a video, I haven’t used the gimbal in a long time, I was a bit sleepy and this happened lol :slight_smile:

The gimbal was a bit broken already (my wife and his boss used it improperly) so I hope I can get a new one soon next month to make a full video of my usual ride (25m one way)

here’s the ride log (data from 1 vesc)

3 Likes

What app did you get that data from, it’s really nice

@makevoid I would like to know which app you used as well! You mist have it connected to your VESC with bluetooth?

4 Likes

How long did it take for you to get your v2.5’s? @makevoid

1 Like

not too much, they were worth the wait :wink:

latest (logged) rides:

3 Likes

I have CarvON v2 dual and it’s interesting to compare our data

and return trip

I went a little bit faster, but still I’m far away from using the full potential of v2. At 50% duty cycle it gets too scary. I wish I had v2.5, but they didn’t exist back then. Still, I’m happy because I bought v2 for $399. On your v2.5 you have 84% duty cycle (there’s still room to grow) and I imagine much better torque!:+1:

1 Like

on here I reach 95% (44kmh)

but I forgot to enable location tracking so no map :confused:

1 Like

Maybe it’s even better that you forgot, police could check this forum and find you next time :sweat_smile: If you feel like you may want more speed at some point you can still go 12S with these motors

I am fine with the speed, I think 40km/h is already enough for me at the moment, I’m not sure I can handle that speed for a sustained amount of time w/o crashing, that’s why I am looking forward to this thread and other similar tips. btw I tried the video overlay generator and I have few comments about it, I’ll write them on the other post

edit: latest ride logs

Tried FOC today, overall it felt very good, super smooth acceleration, here’s the log:

This is the first time I try it on dual and on hubs. I tried foc in the past with a single sensored and it was super good but I’ve never played with its settings much. On this one I seem to have a small intermittent issue with one of the two motors stuttering a bit when accelerating and braking hard.This issue at the motor (maybe phase wires, internal or probably related to the vesc) doesn’t affects BLDC and only a little bit FOC (it’s totally ridable as you can see) and I’ll probably spend some time and recheck everything soon: connections, VESC and motor wires, but for now I’ll just try to change the vesc settings and ride :D.

That’s how I configured the vescs - 2 attempts: first: Detection succeeded smoothly, I tried to start the board from a stop with the default value of Observer gain (13.46) but I felt that it wasn’t very good, I used light stuttering of the motor as a test factor. Second attempt, changed 1 value): I looked at the forum but then checked jacobbloy 's instructions for the VESC configuration in foc. On those there’s a suggestion by Ben to set Observer gain to 100. The board started much nicely with that. I checked the forum and I guess that I should try to up the motor max amps a bit because it feels a bit low for FOC (60A currenly)

I will switch from 60A to 75A/80A motor max and add 5A to brakes (motor min) as well, I’m also curious to try crazy values like 110A motor max because as I’ll probably never reach them and they should help against the current acceleration curve - I would like to try Ackmaniac’s firmware too soon so I can delegate this “fix” to the watt control mode instead of just brutally changing the max motor amp. I would like to have more acceleration for starting quickly from a stop (after a push ofc), I missed that a bit on my first ride (good feature to have in urban environments), I believe that if the hubs were sensored this was not a problem.

Also I would like to change other foc related values (the one located in “FOC - General”, “FOC - Sensorless Startup” for example to improve the situation)

I also lowered the cutoffs which were pretty conservatives (32/30) to 30V start 28V even if I always fully charge my board before riding but this should prevent any cutoffs

Overall I can see/feel straight away that the acceleration is super smooth, hubs are silent, energy consumption seems less but I don’t know how much. You can see from the log that I had a problem when testing hard braking on this one at 10:47 - https://metr.at/r/IcoKh - there’s a spike down during the deceleration even if I wasn’t braking 100%.

btw I love foc for now, hopefully I will have a video up soon, oops I wrote too much ^^

Video (new gimbal zhyiun z1-pround and good old yi camera) with metr.at logging overlay (w/ some css changes made by me ^^)

I will try to continue the ride from where I stopped (SD Card was full :/) and film the way back too. Probably I’ll switch back to BLDC to show the difference between the two.I plan to record a video for each of my usual rides as if they were commutes ( ~1h total / ~6km each way )

metr.at vesc (foc) log: https://metr.at/r/RoEn9 (9:48 - 9:55) - (+ ride back)

5 Likes

that scary moment on the video at 3:04 :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Small review of nano x:

• strong signal (damn, I was impressed by that, much better signal than the mini remote which it was really very good, I couln’t notice any signal drops, probably it uses a frequency that doesn’t clash with speed cameras or it’s just stronger, really nice job)
  • very compact (for guys with big hands like me it’s probably too compact, I have to operate the thumb throttle with the middle of my thumb)
  • simple but strange binding procedure, I’m not sure why but had to wait a bit (few minutes) before it could bind successfully but then it’s good

pics:

It will be my default remote from now

because it’s a thumb controller it’s less sensitive so I’ve reduced my motor max from 60A to 50A and motor min from -32A to -27A to be able to control better acceleration and braking

edit: new ride log, much smoother with the new settings

1 Like

New Video!

@rpasichnyk I think the magic number for making the overlay match the video is 0.952 - probably you can change the js that produces the video and set its speed? I am setting the speed after importing it into the video editing software (premiere, fcx, imovie, shotcut, avidemux, kdenlive, openshot) at 95.2% and this time I think the sync is perfect trougought the video < 1 sec difference between the log and the video I think, I’ll test if it’s 0.952 for the next video as well - btw thank you for the zoom feature on the logs, very helpful

edit:

I had set 60A total (my battery is 10s4p li-ion with samsung 25r 's) and had a fuse of only 40A - fuses can blow at a bit lower or higher amps / time deltas if they’re not good fuses - I will take a 60A fuse in the future but for now I want to stay a bit lower than 60A, I don’t think I need 60A on a cruiser board lol

I got a 50A fuse and I’ll try to set 25A per VESC

3 Likes

I want to try FOC with my Carvon 2.5 single hub. BLDC is loud as hell. Louder than belt drives.

at what voltage are you running the carvon v2.5? also how much do you weigh? hills / crazy speeds or chill riding?

if I were you and had the possibility I would attempt changing to foc, the motor actually supports it if it’s not damaged (one of the two that I have has been slightly damaged [damn rock! :D] it doesn’t runs perfectly on foc, it stutters a bit at high amps but still runs more than fine for my usage)

I believe that if you monitor the vesc temp and currents via a bluetooth app like gpxlBen/@evoheyax - @rpasichnyk one or @Ackmaniac 's (which uses the least expensive bluetooth module) you can prevent the vesc from failing.

I guess that if you monitor values like input (batt) amps and vesc temp and make sure they stay on acceptable limits while you test-ride it … probably foc will work stable after that

Also follow jacob’s / vedder advice and put observer gain at 100 after the foc setup/detection, it works much better than the default (13.6 or something)